Microsoft Pulls Windows 10 October 2018 Update after Reports of Mass File Deletion

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Due to increasing reports of user folders going poof, Microsoft has paused the rollout of the Windows 10 October 2018 Update (version 1809). Apparently, it is a serious issue that could have affected far more than the unlucky “handful” who have already lost their entire document and media collections. As always, backups are paramount: rolling back the upgrade doesn’t restore the files.

Fortunately, the issue was caught before mass rollout. While enthusiasts could manually install the October 2018 Update since October 2, it was scheduled to be pushed out to the masses via Windows Update on October 9 as part of Patch Tuesday. “If you have manually downloaded the Windows 10 October 2018 Update installation media, please don’t install it and wait until new media is available,” the support site suggests. We recommend heeding the advice.

A big mess. MCT now downloads 1803, and they've expired the updates from WSUS too. When's the last time THAT happened with a major update like this. This suggests to me that it's serious enough they know they need a new build/package. Not just merely a "pause".

Microsoft needs to slow down its release cadence to once a year and put some staff back on quality control and testing. Relying on windows Insider feedback clearly isn't working.

And there needs to a big fat OFF SWITCH on feature updates for all versions of Windows 10, not just a GPO buried in 10 Enterprise.
It's just plain b.s. that people can't easily control that when there have been so many problems.

Last edited:
Dark Theme.jpg

Microsoft needs to slow down its release cadence to once a year and put some staff back on quality control and testing.
Yep. Microsoft needs to desperately take a page out of Google and Apple's book, even they know that twice a year upgrades are too fast and that it can lead to some really stupid bugs that should have never seen the light of day.

Once a year is good enough! Slow down! Good God Microsoft, please... for the love of God and all that is holy, slow down with the upgrades already!!!

DeathFromBelow, um... no. As much as I want to make fun of Microsoft that is pretty tasteless considering I think that's a picture of the Challenger explosion and people actually died in that situation.

well I assume their telemetry data is telling them some files went bye-bye during upgrades of certain users computers. maybe they need to analyse the data they've gathered from the feedback hub and telemetry and do more qa testing in house.

DeathFromBelow, um... no. As much as I want to make fun of Microsoft that is pretty tasteless considering I think that's a picture of the Challenger explosion and people actually died in that situation.

Didn't we just have a news story about a surgical procedure having to be aborted because the Windows 10 machine handling anesthesia decided to do some updates? What's it going to take for Microsoft to realize this product is a disaster?

Sounds like bad management to push an inadequately tested update. The nightmare would have gotten worse if they didn't pull the update though. My windows 10 pro got hosed from the last major update behind this one so I never got to try this one. :unsure:

I'm feeling like I dodged a bullet, as my upgrade went off with a hitch. I have all my common folders such as Desktop, Documents, Pictures, Music, etc. on a drive separate from the OS. I have no idea if that makes any difference so far as being safe from this sort of bug.

These idiots keep adding "features" to the OS that ought to be in applications, not the OS.
The system is so complicated now, no one understands it, and there isn't enough time (ever, since the big bang) to test it thoroughly.

Why? Why do they stuff all this unnecessary crap (e.g. Cortana) into the OS ?
Easy answer: to prevent anyone else from doing it.
And why do they want to stop, say, Amazon from "giving" everyone a Cortana equivalent?
Because Amazon would monetize it (ads, selling user info) and a dollar to Amazon is a dollar that can't go to Microsoft.

I did one scratch install of 1809, no issues. Thankfully did not do any upgrades. "Good job" Microsoft. (n):rage:

Linux is free. I can do QA for free.

Free beta tester? For Microsoft? Paid software? I love how for-profit companies are eager to exploit the good will of people like that. I suppose the insider preview doesn't require a licence, or does it? (I am sure it does, but I may be wrong)

#7isHeaven

I stopped updating Win10 when it kept replacing my working video drivers for the newer ones that forced the CPU video chip over the dedicated video chip.

I stopped using windows 10 when I decided to delete software without warning, that it deemed incompatible withe the update.
The minor gains here and there in perfformance does not make up for for the downtimes of having to fix issues after an update.

On one hand maybe people will finally start creating backups of their important files (Look I can dream). On the other this kind of thing just shouldn't happen.

I am really considering moving to some Linux distro in the future, probably when I do a new full system build. The only reason I don't do it now is that I would want to convert all of my drives off of NTFS and doing that for 6 drives seems like a pain (i know first world problems).

No shit they need to do more in-house QA testing.
That's what I said before people tell me I'm dumb cause Microsoft can't afford to do more testing. I've said from the start that Microsoft forcing updates on people is just a disaster waiting to happen, and since Windows 10 was released that's what we've gotten.

I still use Windows 10 on my gaming rig, but I feel that within a year or two I can replace it for Linux and never look back. Good thing my other PCs run Linux cause Windows has been nothing but a nightmare lately. My home has a HTPC running Linux Mint 19, and it has three drives for storing my data. So I'm mostly immune from any stupid Windows updates, but I avoid the anal Windows anti-virus, which likes to delete my files thinking they're a virus when they aren't.

I just set updates on Pause and delayed. FFS Microsoft get your shit together.

I always delay updates, never install BIOSes or firmwares unless I REALLY need them. I even stay on the same NVIDIA drivers unless I need to play a new game which doesn't happen very often. I am still playing older games and I have a big backlog anyway.

That's what I said before people tell me I'm dumb cause Microsoft can't afford to do more testing. I've said from the start that Microsoft forcing updates on people is just a disaster waiting to happen, and since Windows 10 was released that's what we've gotten.
There's testing with different hardware configurations and then there's testing for shit like this. This shit is stupid shit, the kind of shit that someone needs to be fired for as a message to the next ten generation of Microsoft employees that some mistakes come with a very high price.

OS Upgrades are a for lazy pussies.

Do the damd fresh install. Have a backup solution.

#7isHeaven
I stopped using windows 10 when I decided to delete software without warning, that it deemed incompatible withe the update.
The minor gains here and there in perfformance does not make up for for the downtimes of having to fix issues after an update.
I can't remember if 10 removed some on my system, maybe a game I really wasn't playing.
I should've stayed on Win7, wasn't really a reason for me to go to 10, I think I got tiered of getting that "upgrade" nag pop up.
Shame Win7 is just about dead and not going to supported soon, would be nice to have to on a new system.
If only MS would give you an option to have what type of updates like security, features, or both.

I just set updates on Pause and delayed. FFS Microsoft get your shit together.

I always delay updates, never install BIOSes or firmwares unless I REALLY need them. I even stay on the same NVIDIA drivers unless I need to play a new game which doesn't happen very often. I am still playing older games and I have a big backlog anyway.
I think I stopped mine by turning on metered connection, not sure if MS removed that option to stop UDs.

Microsoft is getting really good at fisting it's users lately
When you're the only real player in the OS biz for most users, no fucks given.

Just shaking my head . . . . and the poor folks that lost data are probably shaking their fists.

I'm sure someone will be in here defending this somehow. Windows 10 is great in some ways and bad in others (data collection) but it's also came down to the point that the users are now the beta testers.

I've went back to 7 for now but have a copt of LTSB on standby. I quite like LTSB, I won't touch mainstream 10.

The deletion was a feature to introduce Onedrive backup. ;)

So where are all the posters from the other thread who were blaming folks for not backing up, or the ones who said I installed it on "X" number of machines and it did not delete muh files derp.
L O L

Last edited:

You need to read your sig: That which can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence. - Christopher Hitchens
The deletion was a feature to introduce Onedrive backup. ;)

So where are all the other posters from the other thread who were blaming folks for not backing up, or the ones who said I installed in on X number of machines and it did not delete muh files derp. L O L

Dude, a backup is critically important. If you do not have one and lose your data, it does not matter what caused it. :rolleyes::eek:

Back