Microsoft Pulls Faulty Office Updates and Warns Users of Another

AlphaAtlas

[H]ard|Gawd
Staff member
Last Patch Tuesday, Microsoft released some updates to Microsoft Outlook and Office 2010 with the intent of addressing changes in the Japanese calendar. However, Softpedia reports that Microsoft pulled KB4461522 and KB2863821 due to issues that can cause Office to crash. Meanwhile, Microsoft issued a warning for KB4461529 on their website, stating that it can cause Outlook to crash. However, as the update contains security related fixes, Microsoft left that particular update up and is asking users to try the web-based version of Outlook if they run into any issues. While buggy Windows patches are nothing new, Microsoft is under more scrutiny than usual after the Windows 10 October Update fiasco, and seeing issues like this in released patches doesn't bode well.

If you hit the said crashes, you are recommended to remove the updates as soon as possible, though it goes without saying that you’re going to lose the fixes that Microsoft detailed above. There's no ETA for a fix or when the updates may be re-released without the said bugs, so for now, the only option is to remove the botched patch and wait until Microsoft shares more details.

Meanwhile, Microsoft issued a warning for KB4461529 on their website, stating that it can cause Outlook to crash. However, as the update contains security related fixes, Microsoft left that particular update up and is asking users to try the web-based version of Outlook if they run into any issues.

So if I'm using Outlook 2010 to access an Exchange server, or to access Gmail, Yahoo mail, etc., how am I supposed to access my email using the "web-based version of Outlook" ?

"If you just update to Office 2019 (or *even better*, Office 365!) you won't have these problems!" - Microsoft

Screw this. I'm done. Disabling all Windows updates until there SEEMS to be a safe batch of updates to install again... maybe spring? If anyone is wondering how to do this in Windows 10 Home, set your connection to metered and it should stop MS from even downloading any updates. Alternatively, there are guides on what services to disable.

I've also seen multiple reports of KB4467107 (2018-11 Security Monthly Quality Rollup) failing to install properly on Windows 7 and I've actually experienced it myself.

Every time you boot the PC it tries to install the update again, but fails at around 95% and then reverts all the changes, with error code 80004005 logged.

No mention of Microsoft 2FA going offline for a day yesterday? Couldn't access Azure or Office 365 if you had 2FA enabled for the account.

It seems ALL Microsoft updates lately have been pure crap. I swear, sometimes I think that place is populated by a bunch of drunk baboons.

MS and "faulty update" doesn't seem like news, one must expect problems.

Has Windows 10 not taught the user, er I mean beta tester base anything? ;)

Recently been noticing I've had more anxiety and feelings of foreboding every Tuesday. It didn't make sense. Thanks to this reminding me, as a NetAdmin, how every Wed-Thurs my coworkers start calling because something has stopped working. So glad that I made the choice last week to not allow our workstations to update. ;)

“It’s too hard for us to reliably patch your on-prem stuff, so you should just pay us and use Office 365 for everything instead!”

Back