Microsoft, Publishers in Talks for Bing News Exclusivity

HardOCP News

[H] News
Alright, what do you guys think about this? Do you think it is going to work? While this deal may be good for Microsoft all the way around, will a Bing search deal be enough to woo others away from Google?

Microsoft reportedly is in talks with News Corp. and other publishers to pay for exclusive content indexing on Bing if they cuts ties with Google. News Corp. CEO Rupert Murdoch's anti-Google crusade has escalated in the past few weeks. He's threatening to take his news outlets' content off of Google, which indexes content from thousands of news sites. News Corp. owns outlets such as The Wall Street Journal and FOX.

If the deal prevents Google from also paying or bidding for such content, it seems anti-competitive.

Taking on Fox News as one of your news sources seems anti-competitive...to yourself.

I doubt it is gonna work or if it does go through the news organizations linked up for this deal are going to suffer losses as a result because they would be limiting their public exposure. MS would have to pay them a ton to make it worth it and in the end i dont think it will pull that much traffic away from google.

Let them do it. Less of Murdoch's trash in my search results and Google News would be great.

Oh well. I stopped reading the Wall Street Journal when they upped the price from a dollar to a dollar fifty on the news stands. Anyone that watches Fox News deserves to have their brain filled with conservative pseudo-news, and as such, doesn't factor into my life at all.

The end result would be what Atheist said. Good riddance to bad rubbish.

This is going to be interesting.

I wrote a few comments here... but there were all ripping on the religious right republicans. I really can't think of anything else when I hear Murdochs name. Instead of foaming at the mouth, I've decided to keep it to myself. Teach by example. :rolleyes:

Let's see an old money corporate monopoly wants to do a deal with a new money corporate monopoly. Both are institutions with slipping relevance as the world is enamored with the cloud (Server 2008? who cares) or the free flow of financial information (yahoo finance for example)

Yeah, it's a marriage made in heaven.

:cool:

This actually gives me less desire to use Bing, because it's such a scummy, desperate move.

And how can Microsoft do something like this while saying they support net neutrality? They're contradicting themselves.

Search exclusivity? You mean that some search results will be prohibited from showing up on any search engine that doesn't pay for the privilage of listing the site? Uh... browsers/search engines that agree to that sort of practice will immediately be black balled by yours truely. What a dispicable practice.

If Bing enters into this sort of agreement with News Corp or anyone else, I'll stop using Bing.

Oh well. I stopped reading the Wall Street Journal when they upped the price from a dollar to a dollar fifty on the news stands. Anyone that watches Fox News deserves to have their brain filled with conservative pseudo-news, and as such, doesn't factor into my life at all.

The end result would be what Atheist said. Good riddance to bad rubbish.

Bad rubbish are all the main media outlets. CNN, NBC, Fox, etc.. all have their biases. One supports Republicans and the other Democrats and that doesn't really matter since Democrats and Republicans are the same thing these days.

I think its a good idea. The big papers all get a chance to survive and online bloggers keep on dribbling as usual but with less competition. Win win. Wouldn't be surprised to see other ask for some favours from Google.

Bad rubbish are all the main media outlets. CNN, NBC, Fox, etc.. all have their biases. One supports Republicans and the other Democrats and that doesn't really matter since Democrats and Republicans are the same thing these days.

I dare say, all news sources are biased. In order to form an educated and unbiased opinion yourself, you need to read them all and then think for yourself. Simply closing your eyes and ears to those you don't agree with makes you miss out on half the truth/lies.

Taking on Fox News as one of your news sources seems anti-competitive...to yourself.

True.

I mean, what could they possibly gain from the most popular and fastest growing news network in the country?

Murdoch is doing exactly what he said he would, and it's probably going to work. People always talk about how much the traffic from Google is worth to the news companies, but the fact remains that Google profits far far more then they ever have.

MS is gonna win big time if they can bring on a few major sites.

I dare say, all news sources are biased. In order to form an educated and unbiased opinion yourself, you need to read them all and then think for yourself. Simply closing your eyes and ears to those you don't agree with makes you miss out on half the truth/lies.

Theoretically true, but in practice I can only stand about 30 secs. of O'Reilly (or Hannity, or ...) for the novelty factor before I get nauseous.

Let's see an old money corporate monopoly wants to do a deal with a new money corporate monopoly. Both are institutions with slipping relevance as the world is enamored with the cloud (Server 2008? who cares) or the free flow of financial information (yahoo finance for example)

Yeah, it's a marriage made in heaven.

:cool:

Yes, Fox is bad, but Cloud overtaking Windows? Are you high? :rolleyes:

Oh, there's stupid comedy, and intelligent comedy :p From fart jokes and toilet humor all the way to whatever is at the other end of the spectrum. /fart

Here is an interesting fact for those bashing The Daily Show. "Real" news agencies have been eliminating or drastically gutting their fact checking staff, if they had any to begin with, while The Daily Show employs a full time fact checker that makes sure what they talk about is corroborated from as many sources as possible.

I love the idea - no one else has come up with a fox new filter
Bing - The interwebs solution to Fox News.

Why all the Fox News bashing when all the other major American networks don't practice journalism any better? One thing about the Brits, they don't filter their news nearly like American news does.

Why all the Fox News bashing when all the other major American networks don't practice journalism any better? One thing about the Brits, they don't filter their news nearly like American news does.

I find the idiots that think any news organization is unbiased is ridiculous.

Bush tries to open a fake door on a stage in another country -> On the news for two weeks.
O'commie walks into a window at thw White house thinking it's a door -> No coverage whatsoever?

Bush mis-speaks, even a single word. -> On the news until the next mistake.
O'Commie reads SOMEONE ELSE'S SPEECH, including thanking himself for inviting everybody -> Little/No mention in the media.

Palin releases a book -> AP has ELEVEN reporters fact-check it.
O'commie releases a book -> Reviews, recommendations, but no fact checking.
Acorn is caught on tape advising people on committing tax fraud, hiding prostitution, and sneaking in children to use as prostitutes. -> Acorn's statements are restated as facts (Including repeated, and unsubstantiated, claims that the videos were highly edited and fraudulent), without bothering to actually look into the claim.

Is Fox biased? Of course.
But so is everyone else, and everyone but the dumbest +++++++ can see it.

well at this point, i dont see how MS can develop Bing any better to compete against Google. Bing is actually a nice service, especially when looking for media content like video. That along with the cash back offerings have had me coming back to Bing.

Im not sure what else Bing could do that would woo more people tot he service other then exclusive content though. I dont like the idea of any search engine having exclusive content, but then i also dont know what else Bing or Yahoo could do to compete with Google.

Speaking of exclusive content, what sort of partnership does google have going with the AP?

I find the idiots that think any news organization is unbiased is ridiculous.

Bush tries to open a fake door on a stage in another country -> On the news for two weeks.
O'commie walks into a window at thw White house thinking it's a door -> No coverage whatsoever?

Bush mis-speaks, even a single word. -> On the news until the next mistake.
O'Commie reads SOMEONE ELSE'S SPEECH, including thanking himself for inviting everybody -> Little/No mention in the media.

Palin releases a book -> AP has ELEVEN reporters fact-check it.
O'commie releases a book -> Reviews, recommendations, but no fact checking.
Acorn is caught on tape advising people on committing tax fraud, hiding prostitution, and sneaking in children to use as prostitutes. -> Acorn's statements are restated as facts (Including repeated, and unsubstantiated, claims that the videos were highly edited and fraudulent), without bothering to actually look into the claim.

Is Fox biased? Of course.
But so is everyone else, and everyone but the dumbest +++++++ can see it.

Can't forget the filtered campaign gaffes either, like "57 states", or "tornados in Kansas that had killed 10,000 people", or bragging about passing regulation laws that never became laws, or "Our nation honors its unbroken line of fallen heroes -- and I see many of them in the audience here today."
-- Bush said those btw

:p (joking)

Oh, thats a cool shirt you have there. Whats it say? Hmmm, "Bias ill-informed Republican". Cool! Man, the things they sell these days....

(also, using stupid words like that pretty much makes everyone aside from the other loons laugh atcha. Just sayin.)

I view this as a breach of net neutrality. Shit like this should be illegal.

I view this as a breach of net neutrality. Shit like this should be illegal.

Meh, net neutrality is an oxymoron anyways. You can't pass a law on keeping the internet free from law.

It's a good concept, but it'll never fly.

Oh, thats a cool shirt you have there. Whats it say? Hmmm, "Bias ill-informed Republican". Cool! Man, the things they sell these days....

Funny, most people would call me a democrat on the fact that I support drug legalization, abortion, gay marriage, large-scale cheap public transit, and heavily subsidized post-secondary education. Sorry +++++++, some of us don't need someone else to make up our minds for us. We're called independents and we vote for whoever we feel will do a better job.

Why public education and not public health? Because I sure as hell don't want to pay to fix 20 years of McCrap clogging up Billy McLardass' heart. Why the hell should I be paying to extend the life of someone who hasn't taken the basic step of putting down the fucking cheeseburger?

Yes, Fox is bad, but Cloud overtaking Windows? Are you high? :rolleyes:

It eventually will if Microsoft doesn't seriously get in the game...

I don't like it but that's the writing on the wall.

I love the idea - no one else has come up with a fox new filter
Bing - The interwebs solution to Fox News.

Ohh, interesting perspective, I like your way of thinking :) Now all we need is for every news outlet to sign exclusives with Bing, then the rest of us will be free <3

If the deal auto-censors Rupert's right wing gobbledygook from my Google searches, then it's quite full of Win.

Back