Microsoft promises to never again automatically upload windows 10 update files to users pc's.

BulletDust

Supreme [H]ardness
Don't confuse this with Microsoft backing down on forced updates however, I'm sure if you don't apply that update by a certain date certain functionality will be lost...

...Having said that, based on recent updates, download the update and I'm sure certain functionalities will be lost anyway!

http://wccftech.com/microsoft-forced-windows-10-update/

Lol. Microsoft has already announced that Windows 10 is their last new operating system so by default they won't be uploading a new OS update to users computers...

Windows 10 updates are going to be continued normally. Hogging your bandwith just when you don't need it.

Lol. Microsoft has already announced that Windows 10 is their last new operating system so by default they won't be uploading a new OS update to users computers...

Windows 10 updates are going to be continued normally. Hogging your bandwith just when you don't need it.
Pretty sure each feature release is considered a "new version". And I wouldn't be so certain they will never release Windows 11. Eventually they will want you to buy again.

Pretty sure each feature release is considered a "new version". And I wouldn't be so certain they will never release Windows 11. Eventually they will want you to buy again.

Na... MS now makes 2 billion more in revenue a quarter on advertising then all windows sales combined. The MS operating system is nothing more then a bing data funnel now. If they ever did release a windows 11... ya they would make it completely "free" for every version without a group policy manager. The money isn't in the software anymore. Windows for M$ is just a data collection tool to create demographic and other user info databases to make Bing more attractive to advertisers. (really over 6 billion last quarter in highly profitable advertising sales... vs the 4 or so billion in windows sales, a number that hasn't really moved more then a few % for years now)

Na... MS now makes 2 billion more in revenue a quarter on advertising then all windows sales combined. The MS operating system is nothing more then a bing data funnel now. If they ever did release a windows 11... ya they would make it completely "free" for every version without a group policy manager. The money isn't in the software anymore. Windows for M$ is just a data collection tool to create demographic and other user info databases to make Bing more attractive to advertisers. (really over 6 billion last quarter in highly profitable advertising sales... vs the 4 or so billion in windows sales, a number that hasn't really moved more then a few % for years now)

I have a hard time believing they get that kind of ad revenue. Me personally, I wouldn't spend a dime trying to advertise on Bing or Win10. It would be negative visibility.

How many have cursed never to buy a product from the company that pushed a badly placed advertisement? Countless.

I have a hard time believing they get that kind of ad revenue. Me personally, I wouldn't spend a dime trying to advertise on Bing or Win10. It would be negative visibility.

How many have cursed never to buy a product from the company that pushed a badly placed advertisement? Countless.

I don't like Bing, compared to Google I think Bing's crap.

I agree that bing is crap... But if I was running online ads and had a small amount of cash to do it. They have google beat right now.

Pretend you want to buy some online ads yourself and do some quick research via google. ;) You'll find a lot of people that have figured out Bing is much better bang for the buck. The reason being they are very very targeted. You want your ads to only show up on young girls aged 18-24 computers... bing can do that. You want your ads to only show up on middle age white dudes machines making 60k+ a year bing can do that as well.

Why can bing do that ? Cause bing collects the personal info of almost every single person using bing.... the number of bing users that are not on windows 10 is pretty damn close to zero. The general view of bing as an advertising platform... is most of the people seeing it are in the US. Most are less tech savvy (read gullible). I have also read some arguments that bing users tend to be white collar works with kids. Pretty much the people large advertisers have always wanted to target.

So ya its not shocking MS has seen a huge uptick in advertising sales. They are attracting the big ad dollars because they are able to show them the demographic data they have always like in their old media days. I'm sure google is still the go to if your selling godaddy or some other tech related service or product. If your selling maxi pads or rolexs though... bing is a bunch better bang for the buck.

In the US Bing works pretty well. It works well enough for me such that 90%+ of the time I can say "Hey Cortana" with my search query and I find exactly what I'm looking for.

I agree that bing is crap... But if I was running online ads and had a small amount of cash to do it. They have google beat right now.

Pretend you want to buy some online ads yourself and do some quick research via google. ;) You'll find a lot of people that have figured out Bing is much better bang for the buck. The reason being they are very very targeted. You want your ads to only show up on young girls aged 18-24 computers... bing can do that. You want your ads to only show up on middle age white dudes machines making 60k+ a year bing can do that as well.

See this I find interesting, because I advertise using Google Adwords and it costs me a fortune.

The thing that has be concerned re: Advertising via Bing vs Google is - Who uses Bing over Google?

See this I find interesting, because I advertise using Google Adwords and it costs me a fortune.

The thing that has be concerned re: Advertising via Bing vs Google is - Who uses Bing over Google?

Windows 10 users lol. People gullible enough to upgrade to 10 for free are also likely gullible enough to believe edge is more secure or gives them better battery life. MS has been pretty shady keeping people on edge. I don't know what the numbers look like in Australia, I know Canada isn't likely much different then the US and bing usage through cortana and edge is higher then you would expect for sure. The main advantage though is pin point focus targeting of online ads. For yourself advertising tech in .au I doubt bing makes much sense. I think MS is cashing in though on products looking for very targeted ad campaigns. Its the same type of service that the advertising industry gets from television ect. I think MS has made good inroads there.

I find it pretty distasteful that MS is clearly using their OS collected data to enhance their ad sales dept... but ya that is what you are agreeing to if you use Windows 10.

Windows 10 users lol. People gullible enough to upgrade to 10 for free are also likely gullible enough to believe edge is more secure or gives them better battery life. MS has been pretty shady keeping people on edge. I don't know what the numbers look like in Australia, I know Canada isn't likely much different then the US and bing usage through cortana and edge is higher then you would expect for sure. The main advantage though is pin point focus targeting of online ads. For yourself advertising tech in .au I doubt bing makes much sense. I think MS is cashing in though on products looking for very targeted ad campaigns. Its the same type of service that the advertising industry gets from television ect. I think MS has made good inroads there.

I find it pretty distasteful that MS is clearly using their OS collected data to enhance their ad sales dept... but ya that is what you are agreeing to if you use Windows 10.

Everyone I come across hates Edge, they actually prefer IE - Which I promptly advise them is a big nooooo!

Google used to have profiling options too the last time I dealt with them.

Google used to have profiling options too the last time I dealt with them.

They do, the Adwords interface is a gawd damn mess. I'm sure they deliberately design it to be as unintuitave as possible so you have to pay someone to set up a campaign.

So how long until I can load a full blown Google OS on my computer, that would work with all the standard programs and games?

Think Linux/Ubuntu, but good, and user friendly.

I'd jump ship in an instant.

So how long until I can load a full blown Google OS on my computer, that would work with all the standard programs and games?

Think Linux/Ubuntu, but good, and user friendly.

I'd jump ship in an instant.

Developer support is proportional to adoption. I've already made the move and everything I need runs fine under Linux, including gaming.

So I dunno, you tell me?

Back