Microsoft prices Street Fighter II

steviep

Supreme [H]ardness
http://www.joystiq.com/2006/04/07/street-fighter-ii-on-xbla-priced-dated-cloning-clyde-announc/

Between 800-1200 points is the asking price! ($10-15US). Probably the magical 1000 point price. That's really no longer a "microtransaction" though it's still a better deal than horse armor :p

Geometry Wars wasn't a bad price, but I think this is a bit too much for even a good arcade title like SF2. Nintendo will certainly be looking carefully at these prices for their download service.

steviep said:
http://www.joystiq.com/2006/04/07/street-fighter-ii-on-xbla-priced-dated-cloning-clyde-announc/

Between 800-1200 points is the asking price! ($10-15US). Probably the magical 1000 point price. That's really no longer a "microtransaction" though it's still a better deal than horse armor :p

Geometry Wars wasn't a bad price, but I think this is a bit too much for even a good arcade title like SF2. Nintendo will certainly be looking carefully at these prices for their download service.

You can't put a price on perfection ;)

note: I may be a little biased...

They know what they're doing. So many people have bought the arcade games for $5-$10 already. This is a fair price since it's going to have multiplayer. People will buy it.

Also I think we've known this for about 2 months now.

SF@ could cost $25 and I would still get it. Like above poster said, its going to be all about world wide multiplayer :cool: . I cant wait!

$5 is all i would pay.... its a decade old. I don't think anything was revamped.

thelead said:
$5 is all i would pay.... its a decade old. I don't think anything was revamped.
A decade?? I played it on my SNES 15 years ago.

anyway, with multiplayer I guess it's all worth it, without no way I would spend 10-15 dollars.

I do believe that this is SF2: Turbo, not just SF2. Turbo is the third in the SF2 series.

Yeah, i meant to say "at least a decade old". I had it for snes too.

bazylik said:
A decade?? I played it on my SNES 15 years ago.

anyway, with multiplayer I guess it's all worth it, without no way I would spend 10-15 dollars.

yeah i really dont care what they price it at, I'm still getting it.

El Nacho said:
yeah i really dont care what they price it at, I'm still getting it.

Yep, that's why they know they can price it so high :p

steviep said:
Yep, that's why they know they can price it so high :p

What about those gba releases of old NES games at $10 - is that too much? Seems to me $10 for an arcade-perfect translation isn't too bad, even if it is ~10 years old.

If it is too much go buy the original Arcade machine, OH wait, those usually go for $3k +!

I'm definitely psyched. The price makes it even better.
I personally think that Hyper Fighting is the best of the series.
The later revisions tended to make the characters all too similar. To tweak the character balance, the whole cast got clone moves from other characters that often threw tried and true gameplay styles out the window. Giving Chun-Li a flash kick threw her whole dynamic out the door. Giving characters throw escapes gave turtles too much room for error, too. It's not to say that SSF2: Turbo wasn't great, but I think it was more of a bridge to the Alpha games than a capper to the SF2 games.

Now I just need to find a controller with a better D-pad. Hopefully there will be one with the D-pad and analog swapped that's designed for fighting games.

Domingo said:
I'm definitely psyched. The price makes it even better.
I personally think that Hyper Fighting is the best of the series.
The later revisions tended to make the characters all too similar. To tweak the character balance, the whole cast got clone moves from other characters that often threw tried and true gameplay styles out the window. Giving Chun-Li a flash kick threw her whole dynamic out the door. Giving characters throw escapes gave turtles too much room for error, too. It's not to say that SSF2: Turbo wasn't great, but I think it was more of a bridge to the Alpha games than a capper to the SF2 games.

Now I just need to find a controller with a better D-pad. Hopefully there will be one with the D-pad and analog swapped that's designed for fighting games.

I think turbo was the best in the SF2 games as well. I never really played Super Turbo: I went right from Super to Alpha 3.

The SF community was divided a little by Super Turbo. Some people liked the changes, while others felt it changed the game in a bad way. I have mixed feelings. I liked the speed and tweaks to the non-original eight characters, but It felt all of the characters were too similar. Everyone had some kind of pressure/block damage move and everyone had an anti-air. With the addition of throw escapes, it became very difficult to stop a turtling player. I personally felt it was odd to add additional moves to characters that were already jacked. At the same time other characters were considered to be virtually crippled and got nothing more than a super move.

SF Alpha 1 was okay, but was broken as far as damage goes. Because of the chain combos that were added, any time anyone landed a jab, they could chain into a combo that took 40% of someone's health. The super combos made things nasty because level 1's were to easy to build and did too much damage. Anytime someone lands anything - BAM, a chain combo ending in a super move would change a match instantly.

Alpha 2 was much better, until people found that the "custom combo" system was slightly unbalanced. It allowed someone to execute one on a standing foe and hit them so fast that they couldn't block low in time to stop it. That led to a whole lot of people sitting around blocking low all the time.

EX+Alpha is and always will be my favorite game. Became a reason to not go to class so many times.

Domingo said:
The SF community was divided a little by Super Turbo. Some people liked the changes, while others felt it changed the game in a bad way. I have mixed feelings. I liked the speed and tweaks to the non-original eight characters, but It felt all of the characters were too similar. Everyone had some kind of pressure/block damage move and everyone had an anti-air. With the addition of throw escapes, it became very difficult to stop a turtling player. I personally felt it was odd to add additional moves to characters that were already jacked. At the same time other characters were considered to be virtually crippled and got nothing more than a super move.

SF Alpha 1 was okay, but was broken as far as damage goes. Because of the chain combos that were added, any time anyone landed a jab, they could chain into a combo that took 40% of someone's health. The super combos made things nasty because level 1's were to easy to build and did too much damage. Anytime someone lands anything - BAM, a chain combo ending in a super move would change a match instantly.

Alpha 2 was much better, until people found that the "custom combo" system was slightly unbalanced. It allowed someone to execute one on a standing foe and hit them so fast that they couldn't block low in time to stop it. That led to a whole lot of people sitting around blocking low all the time.

Interesting. I missed out on a lot of SF history, because where I grew up the closest arcade was a 30 minute drive :( So I literally went from playing Super on the SNES in like middle school, to playing Alpha 3 on the PS1 in college. So I really have zero arcade experience, unfortunately.

I grew up in Alabama...where shockingly there was a decent SF community. There were 2 Air Force bases so we got transplanted players from all over the world that would be there for a few months at a time.
The main thing is that after SF Alpha, a lot of the arcade industry was starting to go through some flux and not every arcade would even bother with the new revisions. A lot of players moved on to the likes of Tekken or those wacky VS. games, too. I remember playing the alpha games a TON in college, but it was on the PS1.
A lot of that was coming at the beginning of the internet boom, and there was a HUGE alt.games.sf2 community for trading secrets, strategies, etc.
That's really where I got most of my info on the games. Beyond the online community and hardcore fans, I don't think Capcom really made a lot of $$$ with the last few SF games.

is there a release date for it yet? and what about MK? I bought all these M$ points a month ago in anticipation of getting both SF and MK....but no dice yet.

alkoholik said:
is there a release date for it yet? and what about MK? I bought all these M$ points a month ago in anticipation of getting both SF and MK....but no dice yet.

They said by the end of April for sure!

Yeah... they said "Possibly maybe by the end of March but probably definiately not until the end of April"

:D

Domingo said:
I grew up in Alabama...where shockingly there was a decent SF community. There were 2 Air Force bases so we got transplanted players from all over the world that would be there for a few months at a time.
The main thing is that after SF Alpha, a lot of the arcade industry was starting to go through some flux and not every arcade would even bother with the new revisions. A lot of players moved on to the likes of Tekken or those wacky VS. games, too. I remember playing the alpha games a TON in college, but it was on the PS1.
A lot of that was coming at the beginning of the internet boom, and there was a HUGE alt.games.sf2 community for trading secrets, strategies, etc.
That's really where I got most of my info on the games. Beyond the online community and hardcore fans, I don't think Capcom really made a lot of $$$ with the last few SF games.

That's cool. My parent's didn't get us internet until like 2000 :(

Tekken is pretty much the only 3D fighter I like, except powerstone, which is in a different vein, really. I have MvC and MvC2 - I think MvC is better, with 2 you can always just pick projectile characters and mash the buttons. I first played SF3: Third Strike about a year ago, and have been playing it almost every day since.

It is

Street Fighter II : Hyper Fighting (Arcade version NOT SNES). Its releasing by the end of April, and will have a fully supported online ladder system. You will be able to own face globally :) Thats WELL worth $10-15... if you ask me.

Soon Pac Man and Galaga are coming!!!

Ah SF2 threads :)

Street Fighter 3 is one of those games I never fully felt comfortable with. I really enjoyed some elements, but I don't think I'll ever be comfortable with the whole "parry" system. I guess I'm also kind of partial to offensive innovation more than defensive. I watched a lot of the last major tournament videos and some of the stuff is crazy. There are guys who can parry those 10+ hit super combos on reaction to avoid even taking block damage. While that takes HUGE amounts of skill, I guess I'm a little annoyed that something like that is even possible. It reminds of of the Tekken counter-attacks before the "chicken" was implimented and the damage was weakened. While FAR more skilled, I'm bothered when a person with crazy timing can essentially play a flawless defensive battle.
At one time I was a *really* good Street Fighter player who inspired the fear of God with Zangief. I liked seeing that someone with impeccable timing could eat a spinning piledriver as easy as a flailer. Once you master the timing on that move, you can grab people out of almost any (non-airborn) animation in the game. There's nothing greater than playing a cocky Ryu or Guile and the second they start to run some kind of keep-out low kick pattern...BAM, you grab them out of their animation from 1/4 of the screen away. Ever since Zangief, Capcom has never allowed another animation-counter grab. Even later revisions of 'Gief and T. Hawk won't let you interrupt your own or the other player's animation.

between $10 and $15
So in other words, the game will be $15. I might buy it and I may not. If it is $10, I would be I have a problem paying more than that for an old arcade game. We will have to see what improvements they have made to it to justify $15.

So everyone knows that the title of this post is not accurate, right? Microsoft does not set the price for any 3rd party titles. The game's owner/publisher tells Microsoft what the price will be.

Of course MS has nothing to do with it. It only resides on their servers.

JethroXP said:
So everyone knows that the title of this post is not accurate, right? Microsoft does not set the price for any 3rd party titles. The game's owner/publisher tells Microsoft what the price will be.

steviep said:
Of course MS has nothing to do with it. It only resides on their servers.

I am not sure whether you're being serious or not but I suspect you're being sarcastic. Jethro's dead on and you know it. MS does get a cut, but the developer does set the pricing. The title on this thread is just flat out misleading and--what's worse--it's intentional flamebait.

Mods, can we get the title fixed?

Navy

Actually it was Microsoft Canada that announced the price, so it wasn't misleading despite my sarcasm :)

Regardless, it should then be "MS announces SF price" or something. MS did not set the price which your title leads one to believe.

Navy

steviep said:
Actually it was Microsoft Canada that announced the price, so it wasn't misleading despite my sarcasm :)

Actually, it's not clear who announced it. The story you linked to was getting it's information from the podcast found here. If you download the .mp3 file and advance to about the 17:15 mark, you'll hear them mention that they "heard it will be out for $10-$15" but they never mention where they heard it. Presumably they heard that at the Microsoft Press event they attended, but it's not clear.

You CAN buy the arcade machine. But this is multiplayer, online. Can't find that on MAME or your machine.

This is on the 360. Why buy a SNES to play it, and still not get a feature. Come on, it's only $12. If you can afford a 360, this is a bargain.

The game is sweet, and even sweeter multiplayer (I'm guessing). If it's your cup of tea, get it. If you don't like fighting games, don't!

The time doesn't matter. I'm still buying old Sega Saturn games. Awesome games. Paying more than $10 for them on eBay. It depends on the person.

$12 for a 15 year old game isn't bad depending on the game. It would cost more to buy a SNES and the actual cart. The cart alone would be $12, unless you got it for $3 at a yard sale...... :rolleyes:

10$ is the price that i would go for. At 15, the online portion had better be fantastic.

me and my brother was talkin bout this, we cant wait til this shit comes out. im curious to see if i still got it. i used to whoop some ass back in the day at the arcade. give me 50 cents and run through the whole game room with ken. thats was over a decade ago tho....ahh the nostalgia!

is there any update on this? it was posted 2 months ago and I went out and bought some MS Points in anticipation and have yet to see both SF2 and MK......any idea when they will be released?

alkoholik said:
is there any update on this? it was posted 2 months ago and I went out and bought some MS Points in anticipation and have yet to see both SF2 and MK......any idea when they will be released?

As of right now there hasn't been anything official...but there are some theories. The first one is that you'll see the game on Live TOMORROW. Xbox magazine listed it as June 10th. There was a recently Live Arcade leaked document that listed the release as simply being "June."
Recent speculation is that the online gameplay is really rough right this second and they're potentially even re-writing the netcode for it. If that's the case, the Q3 rumors might be true.
Either way, login tomorrow just in case :)

For MK, there's not even much speculation yet. However, Midway clearly already has good netcode from Deception. I'd guess you'll see it in the summer.

More importantly, where is Lumines for XBLA? :(

I'm definitely looking forward to SF, too, but cmon... it's lumines!

Back