Microsoft Prepares A Final 'Get Windows 10' Nag Screen

Do it and then roll back to 7 if you don't like it (within 30 days). At least you'll get the option to upgrade in the future for free (even after the 29th). Just get in on the free upgrade.

Good to know. Thanks. I think I will go ahead and get. I'll probably do a clean install so i was wondering if there is pretty good guide on how to go about it? Any watchouts?

I have been on Windows 10 for about 6 months now and the only issue I have is not being able to run certain apps in different localizations without changing your entire system localization (I think this was killed in Win8 but I never used 8) but I can live with that. I used a windows 8 key for my "upgrade" and did a fresh install, keeping my Win7 ultimate key if I ever need to go back (doubt it).

Neither can you...

Seems like you never did TI, users are very vocal about what they don't like. I can't count all the complaints I received from the forced update. People were making fun of the ones that were forced at first, then it happened to all of them. Men those were busy days. Anyway once the dust settled there were no more complaints. Ok I take that back, they still bitch, but at least not about the OS.

What? I can't prove my own opinion? I attest to it is my opinion. How else would I prove it? But I question that the lack of rollbacks is proof of Windows 10 being better. And I have myself as proof of that. I'm writing right now running Windows 10. And I don't want the hassle of reinstalling another windows. No user wants that. My office PC needs to be reinstalled badly, as does my laptop. But I loath the idea of loosing all the data, and settings, and installed programs with it. So I put off reinstalling them until the last possible moment. So I won't roll back to Windows 7 for the annoyances I have with Windows 10. But that doesn't mean I like it at all.

You're right I never did TI. I only did IT, at a major Bank among others. And true they complain even about imaginary things. Like I've had a woman insist that the computer the employee using next to her has better picture quality. They were running the exact same hardware down to the monitor make and model. So even if they truly like Windows 10 that is no proof to me of anything. But as I've stated it's more likely that most people doesn't want the hassle of yet another reinstall of their computer.

I just did a Win10 upgrade for a friend yesterday.

It wasn't working properly because it kept trying to put Windows 10 upgrade stuff on the default recovery partition.

So I deleted the partition, extended the main partition, and did the upgrade.

I then wiped it and did a clean install from a USB stick.

Now no more crapware that was included with the laptop in the first place.

AND I didn't even have to download any drivers manually. Windows update got them all.

Actually pretty impressed with the clean install finding all the drivers automatically.

There was no reason to install it twice because Win10 Upgrade now allows you to install clean by just entering the previous OS product key.

How is it great and all? If people haven't upgraded to windows 10 yet, why the hell would then now want to?

No Windows Media Center support and Windows Server 2016 still isn't out yet so VMs built under Hyper-V on Windows 10 can't be moved to a release Windows Server version at this time.

Everything other than my media center boxes have been upgraded to Windows 10 since the first month it came out.

i'm still waiting for microsoft to pull a "oh it was free now you have to pay a monthly subscription fee or you won't get updates anymore!" Or something to that equivalence.

Just type into the search box if you don't where something is and realize things change over time instead of complaining about it for a whole year on the forums.

The 'search box' approach is completely flawed. It requires the user to actually know the exact term or name of function he's looking for - which most average users don't, especially with all different language versions that can have very unintuitive naming schemes.

You can't make that argument because finding it through a hierarchy of folders of expandable menus had the same problem and worse, you had to remember what as where. Now, if you want to do anything with say printers you just type printers and pick it. You don't need to go all the way to control panel, which you have to have memorized, them remember that it's actually devices and printers so it's not even under P for printers... or let's say you want to see hidden folders, even this the option is built into a deeper found menu, as long as you can type hidden folder the search will take you where you need to be, no need to memorize how to get there like before, or if you have the internet on you can just ask a question and search for an answer, all from the same spot.

It really is better, your argument is so weak and flawed that it doesn't even make sense. Plus, if you really want you can still use all the old ways to get to things in 10, you can go through control panel and edit users like before or do it in the new settings menu, so both new and old and search will all let the user accomplish their goal. Seems pretty good to me. 10 isn't perfect but all you're doing now is making things up for the sake of bitching.

The 'search box' approach is completely flawed. It requires the user to actually know the exact term or name of function he's looking for - which most average users don't, especially with all different language versions that can have very unintuitive naming schemes.

Nope, Windows 10 is highly tolerant of spelling errors so no, it is not like Windows 7 where exact names may be needed.

i'm still waiting for microsoft to pull a "oh it was free now you have to pay a monthly subscription fee or you won't get updates anymore!" Or something to that equivalence.
They would never do that. Not getting updates would be a blessing to most users. It sure would be for me. And before someone jumps on this, no I'm not talking about security updates, microsoft would never make those paid. It would defeat their higher security preach about windows 10 at the core.

You keep waiting... I'd get a comfortable chair if I were you.

What? I can't prove my own opinion? I attest to it is my opinion. How else would I prove it? But I question that the lack of rollbacks is proof of Windows 10 being better. And I have myself as proof of that. I'm writing right now running Windows 10. And I don't want the hassle of reinstalling another windows. No user wants that. My office PC needs to be reinstalled badly, as does my laptop. But I loath the idea of loosing all the data, and settings, and installed programs with it. So I put off reinstalling them until the last possible moment. So I won't roll back to Windows 7 for the annoyances I have with Windows 10. But that doesn't mean I like it at all.

You're right I never did TI. I only did IT, at a major Bank among others. And true they complain even about imaginary things. Like I've had a woman insist that the computer the employee using next to her has better picture quality. They were running the exact same hardware down to the monitor make and model. So even if they truly like Windows 10 that is no proof to me of anything. But as I've stated it's more likely that most people doesn't want the hassle of yet another reinstall of their computer.

Ok let me see if I get this. I'm wrong because I can't prove users like windows 10, but you are right even though you can't prove your statement either... Yeah that makes perfect sense :D:D:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Nope, Windows 10 is highly tolerant of spelling errors so no, it is not like Windows 7 where exact names may be needed.
I'm not talking about spelling errors. I'm talking about the user needing to know he wants to open for example 'control panel'. If you have no idea of the word or term you SHOULD be looking, an intuitive menu structure is the only way to find it.

I'm not talking about spelling errors. I'm talking about the user needing to know he wants to open for example 'control panel'. If you have no idea of the word or term you SHOULD be looking, an intuitive menu structure is the only way to find it.

I see you intentionally missed my point but hey, bash away as you always do. Menu structures are much good if you do not know what you are looking for either. (Hmmmm, what was the name of that company that produced the program I am looking for again?)

I see you intentionally missed my point but hey, bash away as you always do. Menu structures are much good if you do not know what you are looking for either. (Hmmmm, what was the name of that company that produced the program I am looking for again?)
Eeek false. You can browse through the menu until you find it. The selection will be limited to anything that exists on your machine. Good luck trying to randomly guess words to find what you need.

You keep waiting... I'd get a comfortable chair if I were you.
They already charge for solitare and a subscription based office 360. How much of a leap would it be to start charging a monthly subscription fee?

Because it saves them ALLOT of $$ . . . For a corporation that is ALL the reason to do just about anything (seriously people don't see that??). Getting people off OLD versions of a OS or Application has always been a massive fight. It costs allot to maintain and support older software. Not to mention if the new software is more secure (which in this case it is) then there is another host of good reasons for security.

So, why all the fuss? If M$ did not do this or something like it they would be doing it WRONG. They have a better OS now and moving people to it is in everyone's best interest that wants to still use windows (no forcing you either you can always move away to another OS freely - but staying with a older version is a problem for them and a liability (possibly also a liability for everyone if security is a issue)

From a IT standpoint it seems to be mainly two camps complaining,
One, is the clueless user that any change rocks there world. you cant do anything here, as ANY change (a moved F'ing icon is too much). . they will eventually get a virus or all the dust in there system will kill the computer and they will be forced to upgrade (thus they do not know enough to have any real reason to complain other then "different" and there hangups).
And the enthusiast crowd, that does not like being told what to do . . (which is fair if that was the entirety of it) As this crowd always puzzles me as any "real" enthusiast should know you can mod the look and feel of 10 to be any way they want. 10 is faster, 10 is very stable, not as big as a security risk, 10 is currently free (at least get the serial?!?! - and yes it exists) , etc etc no real downside other then sour grapes and the lack of knowledge or more probably effort on there part to mod it to there liking (UI, security, services, etc). I currently use 4 different OS's and mod them to my liking - lift a finger) but instead complain it is not pre moded to there own personal liking? or has some service they do not like but can't be bothered to turn it off. . .
There are others but these seem to be the biggest categories.

regardless most all people I have helped update, stay and are happy. anecdotal but that is my experience (I always point out to them that if the UI is not to there liking there are 1000s of apps and mods you can make to change that or revert to a older version but KEEP all the enhancements of the newer OS.. ) about 50/50 change or stay and learn the new UI.

So, WTF?

Or use "win key"-x and use that menu ?. . Don't know you are looking for a control panel? then you may not want to be there :p or alternatively use "help" or Google . . You know learn how to use the OS?. There are many many different ways to get to just about anything. Always know at least 2 and you will never have any problems.
Or it you really like he older start menus . . load on the of 100 menu replacesers ( classic start menu for example will give you any style you want) A common mod I do for newbies too set in ways to learn.

Last edited:
Got a new screen today...reminds you of the date and you have the option to upgrade now, schedule for later or "decline free offer". Doesn't get rid of the tray icon when you decline but it won't pop up again.

Not to mention if the new software is more secure (which in this case it is) then there is another host of good reasons for security.

How specifically is Windows 10 "more secure" than 7 or 8.1? People keep regurgitating this marketing bulletpoint as if it were fact, but I have yet to see any independent verification or testing that 10 is inherently "more secure" than previous Windows.

Or use "win key"-x and use that menu ?. . Don't know you are looking for a control panel? then you may not want to be there :p or alternatively use "help" or Google . . You know learn how to use the OS?. There are many many different ways to get to just about anything. Always know at least 2 and you will never have any problems.
Or it you really like he older start menus . . load on the of 100 menu replacesers ( classic start menu for example will give you any style you want) A common mod I do for newbies too set in ways to learn.
I'm obviously not talking about myself. I'm fluent with all the 3 big variants, windows linux and osx. I'm talking about the people who already struggle with the old menus - they're totally lost with the new UI.

I admit that I do hate the ribbon interface. I'm old school.

Because it saves them ALLOT of $$ . . . For a corporation that is ALL the reason to do just about anything (seriously people don't see that??). Getting people off OLD versions of a OS or Application has always been a massive fight. It costs allot to maintain and support older software. Not to mention if the new software is more secure (which in this case it is) then there is another host of good reasons for security.

So, why all the fuss? If M$ did not do this or something like it they would be doing it WRONG. They have a better OS now and moving people to it is in everyone's best interest that wants to still use windows (no forcing you either you can always move away to another OS freely - but staying with a older version is a problem for them and a liability (possibly also a liability for everyone if security is a issue)

From a IT standpoint it seems to be mainly two camps complaining,
One, is the clueless user that any change rocks there world. you cant do anything here, as ANY change (a moved F'ing icon is too much). . they will eventually get a virus or all the dust in there system will kill the computer and they will be forced to upgrade (thus they do not know enough to have any real reason to complain other then "different" and there hangups).
And the enthusiast crowd, that does not like being told what to do . . (which is fair if that was the entirety of it) As this crowd always puzzles me as any "real" enthusiast should know you can mod the look and feel of 10 to be any way they want. 10 is faster, 10 is very stable, not as big as a security risk, 10 is currently free (at least get the serial?!?! - and yes it exists) , etc etc no real downside other then sour grapes and the lack of knowledge or more probably effort on there part to mod it to there liking (UI, security, services, etc). I currently use 4 different OS's and mod them to my liking - lift a finger) but instead complain it is not pre moded to there own personal liking? or has some service they do not like but can't be bothered to turn it off. . .
There are others but these seem to be the biggest categories.

regardless most all people I have helped update, stay and are happy. anecdotal but that is my experience (I always point out to them that if the UI is not to there liking there are 1000s of apps and mods you can make to change that or revert to a older version but KEEP all the enhancements of the newer OS.. ) about 50/50 change or stay and learn the new UI.

So, WTF?

Actually it is only your opinion that it's a better O.S. You are simply stating your opinion as fact when it's not.

Actually it is only your opinion that it's a better O.S. You are simply stating your opinion as fact when it's not.

Faster? More secure? more features? lighter weight then previous versions? Not endorsing windows as a whole but the current version is at least that and hardly just an opinion.

How specifically is Windows 10 "more secure" than 7 or 8.1? People keep regurgitating this marketing bulletpoint as if it were fact, but I have yet to see any independent verification or testing that 10 is inherently "more secure" than previous Windows.

I did not use bullet points, and I was talking about OS's and applications in general, used "if" and "Possibly" and put my (opinion) in Parenthesis!
reread please " if the new software is more secure (which in this case it is) then there is another host of good reasons for security. " and "(possibly also a liability for everyone if security is a issue) "

So, before complaining too much, read what people wrote and NOT what you want to see and complain about - less egg on face then.

So on topic. . . Is it worse? then vista? win 7, win 8???? no?
Then it is the current most updated version most likely to be updated vs attack in a timely manor. or as much so for windows (which IS the point!).
(win 8 is almost identical - but even some of its resources will be pulled once it is off most corporate laptops.) and there are independent reviews on how win 10 IS more secure the win 7. So my opinion was not off base and was exactly that . . if you can a counter argument feel free but don't just through rocks without any.

I'm obviously not talking about myself. I'm fluent with all the 3 big variants, windows linux and osx. I'm talking about the people who already struggle with the old menus - they're totally lost with the new UI.

I admit that I do hate the ribbon interface. I'm old school.

I am not used to the ribbons. so cool there. The only real change I have problems with is the start screen and start menu. so I MOD them. becomes a bit of a issue sometimes when it use other systems . . but I use Vanilla systems so much that it is not that big a deal just MUCH less efficient. I turn off the win 8/10 menu/start screens and menus and use substitutes. Use a lot of key combos and use the search often (as most "power" users do :) ). Effectively UI wise it would be hard to figure out what I am using :p (does not look like windows mac or Linux at first glance and has a total feature set that none come default with) . . . . rather hate using Solaris Gnome UI . . so clunky and I never have the chance to MOD it before needing to blow it away..

Just to be clear - I can make backup media after I upgrade to 10, right?

Faster? More secure? more features? lighter weight then previous versions? Not endorsing windows as a whole but the current version is at least that and hardly just an opinion.

Faster at what? Because my last Windows 7 clean install was much faster than my most recent Win10 install on the same hardware.
More secure? More secure for whom? I doubt it would be significantly more secure for my usage because I use a good firewall, and only install Steam games onto my windows box that only I use, and have not gotten a security breach since I was 15 years old. And that was before I knew any safe computer practices at all.
More features? Well sure, but if the new features are useless to me, and the old ones that are now missing were useful - then how does that help make Windows 10 any better in a general sense as you claim? It doesn't. Only in your opinion it does. It's called using the best tool for the job at hand. Herp Derp.

Last edited:
How about if those who like it... use it, and those who don't want it... don't use it.

Would save a lot of posting about something that neither side is ever going to change the mind of the other on.

Or keep it up until it devolves into Kyle banning people on both sides of the issue if the insults don't stop.

How about if those who like it... use it, and those who don't want it... don't use it.

Would save a lot of posting about something that neither side is ever going to change the mind of the other on.

Or keep it up until it devolves into Kyle banning people on both sides of the issue if the insults don't stop.

If you see any insulting going on on Hardforum, report it immediately and leave the mini-modding and warning shots to the true moderators. Besides, Oldies bans way more people for that sort of thing than Kyle anyways.

Do it and then roll back to 7 if you don't like it (within 30 days). At least you'll get the option to upgrade in the future for free (even after the 29th). Just get in on the free upgrade.

This is useful information since I use WMC on 8.1 and do not want to upgrade to 10 yet. What is your source for this info? Thanks.

Why not upgrade and keep the serial in case you want to upgrade in the future? Cuz, you know, free and such.

Please can you explain how to get the serial after you upgrade to 10? My experience is getting the windows product ID which is different from the serial used for OS installation.

Faster at what? Because my last Windows 7 clean install was much faster than my most recent Win10 install on the same hardware.
More secure? More secure for whom? I doubt it would be significantly more secure for my usage because I use a good firewall, and only install Steam games onto my windows box that only I use, and have not gotten a security breach since I was 15 years old. And that was before I knew any safe computer practices at all.
More features? Well sure, but if the new features are useless to me, and the old ones that are now missing were useful - then how does that help make Windows 10 any better in a general sense as you claim? It doesn't. Only in your opinion it does. It's called using the best tool for the job at hand. Herp Derp.

Seriously?
Faster at what? previous versions. Benchmarks show this out. Not opinion. Argue about them not me. ( "Because my last Windows 7 clean install was much faster than my most recent Win10 install on the same hardware." Anecdotal at best bub)

More secure? More secure for whom? Again Duh.. for Average users . . . and yourself state you are not a average user only a gaming system for you) and added software to boot, so self disqualify from the discussion.

And yes more features! And who really give a load of crap IF any Specific feature IS useful to you? Again more and better features are what people want. Some that are great is the ability to refresh in-place (full or part - very good for the average user ), Cortana which allot of people use including my 97 year old grandmother. the newer action center (again a favorite with new users), Multiple desktops build in. easy control over Schedule restarts (really needed), build in fingerprint and visual login, DirectX 12, Phone Companion, etc etc . . Any one might be useful but together they add up and are useful to many ( ie better in general)

Again this is not about you and only you . . . it is about the average user.
So why are you even arguing? You only use it for gaming?!?! Why you you think your opinion trumps other REAL users?. . . . Or people that support many average users and have real experience with all of the above? WTF useless.

I bought a Pro license to dual boot with. No way was I sticking with the standard version. For now, W10 will be used for nothing but Windows Store and DX12 games.

While i do agree with the nagging aspect, i find W10 very good, and what W8 should've been when it debuted. Been using W10 since ~october 2014 and has been as stable as W7.

Back