Microsoft Phasing Out Iconic Nokia Brand Name

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Microsoft is beginning to phase out the Nokia brand name and will replace it with Microsoft Mobile. The Nokia brand name will not disappear immediately, rather it will slowly fade into the sunset over the next 18 months or so.

The Nokia name dominated a huge chunk of the early history of mobile phones, and its demise will take some getting used to.

I don't know what they are thinking. In places like India tons of people buy nokia like Americans buy apple. They don't know a thing about what they are buying they just know nokia is a good phone. If they kill that brand recognition it will do them no favors in breaking back into mobile.

I dunno... but, in the cellphone market , Nokia with a limp, still inspired more reliability than MS in the OS market in their prime. Nokia were good at what they used to do, but they missed out on the smartphone craze. JUST like MS, actually.

I don't know what they are thinking. In places like India tons of people buy nokia like Americans buy apple. They don't know a thing about what they are buying they just know nokia is a good phone. If they kill that brand recognition it will do them no favors in breaking back into mobile.

Well Microsoft isn't a total unknown ... some brands do change over time ... TWA, Continental, Northwest, Pan American, and many other airlines were all synonymous with air travel and they are long gone ... Nokia misjudged the market (like many companies before them) and now their brand is history too ;)

I was just thinking the same

Well Microsoft isn't a total unknown ... some brands do change over time ... TWA, Continental, Northwest, Pan American, and many other airlines were all synonymous with air travel and they are long gone ... Nokia misjudged the market (like many companies before them) and now their brand is history too ;)

The problem is they are rebranding to at best an unknown name...and worst a name with an already lackluster rep.

I have difficulty thinking of any rebranding that happened recently that went all that well.

Aw, no more Nukeia jokes. Microsoft is getting more evil by the day. Pretty soon they'll probably try to use their dominance in the OS market to get rid of competing products. I'm thinking it makes sense for them to go after the web browsers first by bundling Internet Explorer with their operating system to dethrone Netscape.

The difference there being that Nokia hasn't ever needed a name change because of associations with Mid-air explosions, hijackings, bombings, crashes, etc. Sometimes it's good to get away from a name with negative connotations.

I dunno... but, in the cellphone market , Nokia with a limp, still inspired more reliability than MS in the OS market in their prime. Nokia were good at what they used to do, but they missed out on the smartphone craze. JUST like MS, actually.

Nokia wasn't really in the US market, but they didn't miss out on the smartphone craze, they were the dominant force in sales until mid 2010 (source) Nokia sales were still increasing throughout 2010, but Android was increasing more. Burning platform memo was Feb 2011, and N9 launched late september 2011. If Elop hadn't discontinued the N9 before it launched or if they had sold it in more places, maybe their share would have popped back up: the N9 got lots of praise, although it's hard to tell if it would have had the same praise if it wasn't known to be the last Nokia full stack device. People continued to buy significant numbers of Symbian devices throughout 2011 and 2012, even though the platform was burning.

I think at the very least they should spend a couple years doing something like branding them Microsoft Mobile by Nokia or something. Just keep the Nokia name on it or the packaging somewhere.

I don't think in any universe that Microsoft Mobile is a better Phone name than Nokia. If there are only MS phones, then how will Samsung or HTC make a Windows Phone?

Nokia wasn't really in the US market, but they didn't miss out on the smartphone craze..

If Elop hadn't discontinued the N9 before it launched or if they had sold it in more places, maybe their share would have popped back up: the N9 got lots of praise, although it's hard to tell if it would have had the same praise if it wasn't known to be the last Nokia full stack device.

+1. The N900 was an awesome phone and sold relatively well with a huge following world-wide, and right after the N9 was introduced to glowing reviews, Microsoft sent in Elop to shitcan their Maemo/MeeGo projects in favor of their goofy colored tile OS. Basically sabotaged his own product during its release.

That whole MS/Nok deal was a fucking shame, imo. RIP Nokia :(

I really dont care about the name change, as long as they keep the Nokia Quality. Whether you are a fan of the W.P.8 OS or not the actual build of the Lumina line is stellar.
I have a 1520 now and between the wife and kids 3 Lumina 920's and 1 Lumina 820. Could not be happier with them.

Leave it to MS to f#ck up something else...
First it was Win8, then it was the Xbone, now Nokia.
They're REALLY trying to dig their own graves aren't they?

So, what business expertise did you use to make billions? :rolleyes: None of those are failures, just not the cookie you wanted.

...but they missed out on the smartphone craze. JUST like MS, actually.
Except Microsoft had a sizable portion of the smartphone market before the iphone even existed...

They didn't miss anything (in fact, they were extremely early to the game), they simply failed to maintain market share.

My first, second and third phone was a Nokie. The third one burned me bad with it's lack luster cell reception and sub par battery life. Since then I haven't bought a single Nokia device. This was back in the late 90s, early 00s.

So, what business expertise did you use to make billions? :rolleyes: None of those are failures, just not the cookie you wanted.

I forgot to mention the Surface tablets with ARM CPUs that got Ballmer axed didn't I?
Yes, they MADE billions, but they did that prior to their current downward slope.

That's such a stupid argument.

The Xbox has been a horrible financial failure and so has their phones, http://www.businessinsider.com/micr...er-year-from-android-patent-royalties-2013-11
http://www.businessinsider.com/chart-of-the-day-microsoft-losses-on-xbox-2012-6

Windows 8 is less popular than Vista. http://www.zdnet.com/windows-8-continues-to-fail-7000016222/

Wow, a one year old article about an OS that had not been out a year at that point. Also, a 2 year old article about something that had not even been out yet at all. (Xbox one.) Nice, I see you would rather argue then discuss and being open minded, ok, you hate Microsoft, no problem.

Wow, a one year old article about an OS that had not been out a year at that point. Also, a 2 year old article about something that had not even been out yet at all. (Xbox one.) Nice, I see you would rather argue then discuss and being open minded, ok, you hate Microsoft, no problem.

You're the one who want to argue even though your wrong. You have no evidence, just snide remarks. Facts are hate? :rolleyes:

Newer articles don't paint a better picture. PlayStation 4 Just Outsold Xbox One for the Fourth Month in a Row

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer...-share-as-pc-users-continue-to-shun-windows-8 Windows 7 market share had gone up LOL!

I really dont care about the name change, as long as they keep the Nokia Quality. Whether you are a fan of the W.P.8 OS or not the actual build of the Lumina line is stellar.
I have a 1520 now and between the wife and kids 3 Lumina 920's and 1 Lumina 820. Could not be happier with them.

Agreed. You can drop those phones nearly every day and they will still keep working. The best thing is they just keep working too. Rarely have a crash or need to reboot.

Same.

We have 2x nokia 520's here, great quality phones, really nice to hold, etc. Tough too, mine accidently dropped from my pocket when I was sitting in a bt50 at work, fell about a meter, landed on its edge, then face down, phone is fine. Any android or apple would have shattered its screen. I'm still warming to win8 on the phone, but out of what is currently in the market, it's the best os currently. I'm fed up with all the spy crap in Apple and google stuff, so MS it is for me, plus I made myself get over and accept the fact the the phone is a mobile device and not my fully featured desktop, so that made it easier to accept using win8 on it. And I love the fact that nokia has their own sms and call blocker app, actually, not really an app but a proper system menu setting. No mickey mouse 3rd party spyadware garbage that doesn't work required.

To me apple is just overpriced, pretentious, bulky and full of spy designed to keep you in constant micro transaction mode, Android stuff is low quality and nothing but spy, google can shove themselves up their arses and keep their crap tracking trojan called android. And I used to love android, I thought I was android for lyfe yo until I finally wised up.

Agreed. You can drop those phones nearly every day and they will still keep working. The best thing is they just keep working too. Rarely have a crash or need to reboot.

Oh that, that exactly. Had to always keep rebooting my old android phones due to things just quitting on me. Never had to reboot my nokias ever.

I am super happy with me Lumia 929 (Icon). I hope Microsoft maintains the quality and keeps improving Windows Phone.

To be replaced by one of Microsoft better brand endeavours "ZUNE"? Yes MS the company that knows how to break open any closed market.

You're the one who want to argue even though your wrong. You have no evidence, just snide remarks. Facts are hate? :rolleyes:

Newer articles don't paint a better picture. PlayStation 4 Just Outsold Xbox One for the Fourth Month in a Row

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer...-share-as-pc-users-continue-to-shun-windows-8 Windows 7 market share had gone up LOL!

Facts, they are not. (At least not in the those devices and things are failures response.) Also, how do those articles show that The Xbox One is or Windows 8 is a failure? PC users are also not pushing the Windows 7 increase but businesses mostly that were already deploying Windows 7 anyways. LOL

I guess then a single model BMW is a failure because the Chevy Cruze outsells them? I guess you and I have different definitions of failure then. :rolleyes:

nokia fucked up long before microsoft acquisition your confirmation bias is full of itself.

PC users are also not pushing the Windows 7 increase but businesses mostly that were already deploying Windows 7 anyways. LOL

I guess then a single model BMW is a failure because the Chevy Cruze outsells them? I guess you and I have different definitions of failure then. :rolleyes:

It amazes me sometimes how people seem to completely forget history and how the Windows market has ALWAYS worked. Business deployments of the latest versions of Windows always lag behind the consumer sector. And in large enterprises it takes years between planning, testing and deploying a new client OS tens to hundreds of thousands of machines. We started our Windows 7 migration in 2009 and didn't finish until last year. So it took four years from the RTM of 7 for all of us to even get 7 and there was no way we ever going to 8 having started the work of moving to 7 three years before 8 was even released.

Microsoft has to phase out the Nokia brand because they don't have the perpetual rights to use it.

They are thinking, "We're in the US - what do we care what the rest of the world does?"

People buy brands based on quality. If the quality isn't there then the brand is shit.No reason to spend millions to fail once again. Time to move forward.

To me and everyone I know Nokia has been a shit brand for a long time.

To me and everyone I know Nokia has been a shit brand for a long time.

In much of the world, Nokia is at the low end of the phone market so that's not surprising. Their Lumia line of Windows Smart phones though are pretty well regarded if not big sellers.

Microsoft has to phase out the Nokia brand because they don't have the perpetual rights to use it.

Exactly. Nokia still exists as a company and maintains its rights to the name. I'm not sure what else people were expecting...

Not to mention "It can use the Nokia brand for another ten years for other Nokia phones (feature phones)."

nokia fucked up long before microsoft acquisition your confirmation bias is full of itself.

How is that bias?
Nokia is a huge name with a lot of brand recognition.
To just throw the name to the curb without any real transition is going to confuse, upset or alienate the majority if their current user base.

To just throw the name to the curb without any real transition is going to confuse, upset or alienate the majority if their current user base.

As has been mentioned Microsoft isn't throwing anything to the curb, they didn't buy Nokia or the name, just the handset division. They were going to have to come up with a new brand at some point.

As an owner of a windows 8 phone, it doesn't matter what they call it it will still be a piece of shit.

Back