Microsoft Patches Problematic OS to Deal With SSD Woes

DooKey

[H]F Junkie
A couple of weeks back we reported about a problem with the latest version of Windows 10 and Intel SSDs. A nasty bug in the new OS could bork installs on machines with some Intel SSDs. That's the bad news and now we have the good news that Microsoft has patched this flaw and a manual update will be available tomorrow. You can get the patch here, or wait till the June Patch Tuesday update.

Users who have encountered the Intel 600p or Pro 6000p issue are unlikely to have even managed to get the Windows 10 update installed, and Microsoft suggests hanging fire until the new version is offered by Windows Update. Enthusiasts too keen to wait will be able to force the update from 25 May.

Patch and then forced "upgrade" to 1803. Sounds like fun to me.

Myself and at least 3 others on HP forums had windows 10 1803 trash their HP x360 envy Ryzen R 5 2500u machines when installed I had to restore from a disk image and disable the windows Update service. Funny thing my I5 desktop and my VR i7, 1060 laptop upgraded with no issue. I blame MS and especially AMD they need their driver act together.....

Myself and at least 3 others on HP forums had windows 10 1803 trash their HP x360 envy Ryzen R 5 2500u machines when installed I had to restore from a disk image and disable the windows Update service. Funny thing my I5 desktop and my VR i7, 1060 laptop upgraded with no issue. I blame MS and especially AMD they need their driver act together.....

I just blame MS for changing something between feature upgrades that was working fine before

I dont know about y'all but I get Windows updates FAR more than once a week.

Unfortunately simply disabling windows update service doesn't stop the forced updates anymore. They've hardcoded backchannels to bypass the service and update anyway. There are also some stealthy scheduled tasks related to re-enabling windows update that will constantly put themselves back in place if you delete them. You can set "Delay Feature Updates" to 365 days in GPEDIT, MS will ignore it. You can set your connection to "Metered Connection", MS no longer respects it and will blow up your bandwidth cap anyway.

Windows 10 is malware at this point. But then what do you expect from a company that had so little confidence in users finding Windows 10 compelling on its own merits, that they resorted to force installing it on users like malware with GWX.

Windows 10 is malware at this point.

Even if this true if you're invested in the Windows ecosystem you've got two options, Windows 7, only about a year and half from end of support, at least for consumers. Windows 8.1 is supported until 2023 but has thin market share already and neither 7 or 8.1 is guaranteed support for the latest and greatest going forward.

all fucking happy here with win8 + start8 since 2012, still no bugs, everything work and runs great, best home user OS ever made by ms (as long as you dump all the tablet interface and the metro crap).

Reactions: DPI
like this
Back