Microsoft Patch Tuesday Addresses Intel L1 Terminal Fault Vulnerability

cageymaru

Fully [H]
Microsoft Patch Tuesday has implemented fixes and improvements to address the newly disclosed Intel L1 Terminal Fault (L1TF). AMD's Bulldozer and Jaguar processors reclaim lost performance as an issue that caused high CPU usage and degradation with Family 15h and 16h AMD processors was addressed. Battery life is improved for users running Windows 10 version 1803, and of course more Adobe Flash Player fixes were issued as usual.

Provides protections against a new speculative execution side-channel vulnerability known as L1 Terminal Fault (L1TF) that affects Intel Core processors and Intel Xeon processors (CVE-2018-3620 and CVE-2018-3646). Make sure previous OS protections against Spectre Variant 2 and Meltdown vulnerabilities are enabled using the registry settings outlined in the Windows Client and Windows Server guidance KB articles. (These registry settings are enabled by default for Windows Client OS editions, but disabled by default for Windows Server OS editions.)

Is there a way to disable these patches on an updated system?

--- edit ---
nvm me i mis read this sentence
AMD's Bulldozer and Jaguar processors reclaim lost performance as an issue that caused high CPU usage and degradation with Family 15h and 16h AMD processors was addressed
As if the patch had negative performance affect on bulldozer

Please correct me if im wrong.
This is not an infection/instrusion vector from an externanl source, but solely internal software issue?

Remember when speculative operations improved performance?
They sure seemed like a good idea at the time to most, but I was always wary. "Don't be a worry wart," I was repeatedly told, "everything is fine; these engineers are really smart and have anticipated all possible fault scenarios." Hubris strikes again.

Its almost as if all intel performance came at the cost of security.....

Back