Microsoft Partially Resumes Windows 10 October Update Rollout

AlphaAtlas

[H]ard|Gawd
Staff member
After pulling the release due to a bug that deletes user data, Microsoft is rolling out a patched version of the Windows 10 October Update to Windows Insiders. Interestingly, Microsoft notes that "one one-hundredth of one percent of version 1809 installs" reported any data loss, which could still be a significant number of people given the size of the Windows 10 user base. Microsoft claims they've fixed "all known" issues related to the bug, and gives a detailed, technical explanation of the issue. The company says affected users can call 1-800-MICROSOFT for support, free of charge. In response to the issue, Microsoft also updated the Windows Insider Feedback Hub, allowing users to rate the severity of their issue.

We will continue to closely monitor the update and all related feedback and diagnostic data from our Windows Insider community with the utmost vigilance. Once we have confirmation that there is no further impact we will move towards an official re-release of the Windows 10 October 2018 Update. We apologize for any impact these issues may have had on any of our customers. We are committed to learning from this experience and improving our processes and notification systems to help ensure our customers have a positive experience with our update process.

It's still definitely a much deserved black eye on Microsoft's face. This shit should have never happened if they had tested for this but of course because they fired their QA department they didn't catch this. Way to go Microsoft, you suck!
We are committed to learning from this experience
Oh so does that mean you'll rehire your entire testing team that you used to have back in the old Windows 7 days? Does that mean that you'll actually do some real testing instead of just throwing it out to the wolves? Yeah... I doubt it. Words, that's at they are... just words to make us feel better about the fact that your software quality is absolute shit. Fix your shit Microsoft!

Yeah this is fucking abysmal, tiny percentage or not.

They deserve all the shit they get for it and more. Worse yet is that IT WAS REPORTED MULTIPLE TIMES and it still went live.

KB4464330 :
  • Addresses an issue where an incorrect timing calculation may prematurely delete user profiles on devices subject to the "Delete user profiles older than a specified number of day” group policy.
The real question is, outside of domain connected computer or roaming profiles, why would this group policy setting even exist?

No, I am not going to turn this into a bitch fest, I really want too know the answer to my question above.

KB4464330 :
  • Addresses an issue where an incorrect timing calculation may prematurely delete user profiles on devices subject to the "Delete user profiles older than a specified number of day” group policy.
The real question is, outside of domain connected computer or roaming profiles, why would this group policy setting even exist?

No, I am not going to turn this into a bitch fest, I really want too know the answer to my question above.
You ever use a shared computer at a university or place of work? Domain connected, I know, but I am as curious as you are.

All because Microsoft still doesn't understand multi-user computing... sigh...

Glad to see it's coming. I want to try it out to see if they've finally addressed the DPC / Latency bugs they introduced in 1709 that affect Nvidia's drivers. The thread on Nvidia's support forum is 400 pages long (over a year old). Most people associate it with a "memory leak" in games (as it has similar symptoms), but it exists at the OS memory management level, so it can happen at any time.

I've learned to work around it this past year, but Windows Update recently put the Intel Microcode fixes on my system (I've been blocking them) and it became completely unusable from the lag. Any high-flow of data into memory caused constant stutter, doesn't even need to be GPU related and the Nvidia kernel driver goes nuts. Annoyingly, both Nvidia/Microsoft acknowledge the issue but haven't fixed it in over a year.

I want to try it out to see if they've finally addressed the DPC / Latency bugs they introduced in 1709 that affect Nvidia's drivers. The thread on Nvidia's support forum is 400 pages long (over a year old).
Where is that thread?

KB4464330 :

Shared computers like lab machines, etc.

But yeah, generally only really makes sense on a domain. We could see thousands of profiles within a couple months on some machines.

KB4464330 :

It actually isn't the only fixed that was performed. That was another issue... for whatever reason they didn't include the actual 3 fixes that were done in addition to the one above.

The company says affected users can call 1-800-MICROSOFT for support

now.. i would laugh my ass off if you called the number and when you choose the deletion of files option as your issue, the hold recording started talking about how MS one drive can be used to backup your data

:ROFLMAO:

now.. i would laugh my ass off if you called the number and when you choose the deletion of files option as your issue, the hold recording started talking about how MS one drive can be used to backup your data

:ROFLMAO:

Millions of users trust Microsoft for safe and effective storage of their most valuable files. Now with compression!

"One one-hundredth of one percent of version 1809 installs reported any data loss".
That would be 100 systems out of a million. Not that many you might say but it would be 100,000 systems out of a billion, now that's a significant amount any way you look at it.
I have no idea how many Windows 10 systems there is in the world but I guess it's more than a billion.

I have no idea how many Windows 10 systems there is in the world but I guess it's more than a billion.

It's about 700 million currently. If 1809 went out to 1 million folks before getting pulled that would have been right at 100 systems if the failure rate Microsoft says is accurate.

this new "corrected" patch bsoded some of the office computers today... it's been lovely, I walked in to start the day with a bsod and only fix has been to re-install and block all updates, because even with a fresh install it began bsod as soon as yesterdays patch was applied again.

So is it "safe" to download again, anyone install it yet?
Unless I misunderstood the article, this only affects machines where you've changed the location of the documents folder to a different drive (or perhaps just a different location), but left your files in the old directory. I'm not sure why anyone would do that. So it I assume it's safe, but you can wait a few days and see if anything comes up.

If you're tired of this crap, try Ubuntu desktop. Fact: it won't delete your shit when you update.

They can resume the update rollout all they want, I still don't touch the things until a few months after they come out. Still haven't put v1803 on most systems yet. Gonna be a while before I get around to v1809.

all systems i setup use windows 10 pro, i use non targeted and 100 day feature upgrade delay + 15 days delay on normal updates, this more or less assues i am not getting these untested updates until everyone else has tested it first (and don't norm run into situations like this mess when MS ignores insiders testers about this bug)

i am still on 1709 as its not offered me 1803 yet

if your on windows 10 home you can jsut buy a windows 10 key for less then $/£ 5 and just change to it (don't have to reload)

If you're tired of this crap, try Ubuntu desktop. Fact: it won't delete your shit when you update.

That's what my brother keeps telling me! I'm waiting for more games to be available on Steam and GOG. I'm tired of the semi-yearly updates breaking my computer.

That doesn't mean you can't play them on Linux.

Give me names.

Maybe a Windows game will work under Linux with Windows compatibility tech, maybe it won't or have performance issues. Possibly it works better. A lot more complexity just to game.

Uh no it doesn't. Go try it.

It's totally dependent on specific hardware and software. There's simply a lot of especially newer stuff that will have Windows but not Linux support, at the very least not obvious plug and play Linux support.

Literally running Ubuntu on a T530...
Apparently you missed the story last year where Ubuntu had to pull their latest release because it rendered certain Lenovo laptops unusable? Probably about on the same scale percentage wise as the 1809 update deleting files, just with so few people (comparatively) running Ubuntu, didn't have as big an impact.

Drivers often actually get added to Linux faster than to Windows. It's seriously turned around over the last handful of years.

It's totally dependent on specific hardware and software. There's simply a lot of especially newer stuff that will have Windows but not Linux support, at the very least not obvious plug and play Linux support.

Drivers often actually get added to Linux faster than to Windows. It's seriously turned around over the last handful of years.

Again, it's a situation where there FAR too much hardware and software out there to make many generalizations. There's no way Linux is going to support my sig rig out of the box and even then there's many, many hours of research and setup. VR seems to improved a lot using Steam Play but I have no idea about the compatibility of each and every VR title have. If you a person with a few games on using a relatively basic PC sure things might go well under Linux.

Well, I am able to install it with my previously created USB 1809 drive but, I have yet to see it in Windows update itself, since they pulled it.

Back