Microsoft OneCare Comes In Last In Antivirus Test

My favorite and one of the biggest was not even included....Trend Micro.

Officescan is IMO the best AV out there and is one of the most widely used for corporations...why is it not on there?

Everybody's favorite NOD32 came in 6th - advanced, with 2 stars.

I haven't looked at the comparison in a while and I am amazed at how the other products are starting to stack up. I think one thing that attracts people to NOD32 is its light footprint and even though it came in 6th it wasn't too far behind. What I like it how high it rated on the polymorphic test (along with symantec :D )

Some good / interesting results.

Grentz: You might want to email them and ask why wasn't Trend Micro not included. I would be interested in hearing why.

As far as Microsoft goes, I am not surprised, but it will be interesting on how that product develops in the future.

I also was a big fan of Trend Micro....my subscription just ended and have been using 30 day trials to see which one I like best thats compatible with Vista (currently using Ultimate64).

Currently I am using NOD32 and its really nice....very simple and very light.

I was kind of suprised as well the eval didnt include trend micro.....but they did mention that if the software didnt catch 75% of something it wasnt included in the test

I'm surprised that that with basically unlimited resources Microsoft couldn't come up with a better AV and the Hard's favorite only fared 6th best which is like middle of the pack.

I was kind of suprised as well the eval didnt include trend micro.....but they did mention that if the software didnt catch 75% of something it wasnt included in the test

I doubt it could be because of that. In other independent AV tests I have seen Trend Micro Officescan is always #1.

It also has one of the fastest updating and most proactive definition databases out there. There are days when we receive multiple updates in one day since our server check every hour for updates.

I do not know much about there home software stuff, but their SMB and Corporate stuff is untouchable. Even Symantec Corp does not come near it when you look at the monitoring and abilities in Trend Officescan.

Personally I think most home software sucks, its too bad no one can make a good lightweight AV scanner for home users. Norton is one of the worst for home and its amazing how many resources it hogs. Mcafee and others are the same.

Currently I use Avast as Officescan is still in beta for Vista :(

I doubt it could be because of that. In other independent AV tests I have seen Trend Micro Officescan is always #1.

It also has one of the fastest updating and most proactive definition databases out there. There are days when we receive multiple updates in one day since our server check every hour for updates.

I do not know much about there home software stuff, but their SMB and Corporate stuff is untouchable. Even Symantec Corp does not come near it when you look at the monitoring and abilities in Trend Officescan.

Personally I think most home software sucks, its too bad no one can make a good lightweight AV scanner for home users. Norton is one of the worst for home and its amazing how many resources it hogs. Mcafee and others are the same.

This is from the article

The tester said in his e-mail and in his report that they generally only test products that can detect 85% of the malware thrown at them. "So I expected and hoped that OneCare would meet those criteria -- but it did not," he wrote.

Maybe theyre just testing home software?? I'm not sure....like someone had mentioned earlier...maybe emailing the tester would give us a better answer

Wow I'm surprised at how well Avira did, and yet people still won't give it the time of day.

This is from the article

Maybe theyre just testing home software?? I'm not sure....like someone had mentioned earlier...maybe emailing the tester would give us a better answer

I cant find their email and they say to use their contact page yet it gives an error.......

EDIT: after surfing through their forum it seems they do not test them as trend has not signed up with them (AKA given it to them for free...). Also everyone there is complaining about its huge memory usage...I have used PC-Cillin (trend's home app) and it is better than symantec's bloatware by far and yet they claim it is worse?

I guess every place will get their own experience though.

You should also check out the proactive test which focuses on the scanner's heuristic detection with 3 month old signature updates. (this report is from Nov 06. signatures from Aug 06)
Looks like AntiVir was rated about the same as NOD32.

I haven't looked at the comparison in a while and I am amazed at how the other products are starting to stack up. I think one thing that attracts people to NOD32 is its light footprint and even though it came in 6th it wasn't too far behind. What I like it how high it rated on the polymorphic test (along with symantec :D )
me too :cool:

NOD32 is the most light weight scanner I know of.. and it is compatible with Vista! :D

You should also check out the proactive test which focuses on the scanner's heuristic detection with 3 month old signature updates. (this report is from Nov 06. signatures from Aug 06)
Looks like AntiVir was rated about the same as NOD32.

me too :cool:

NOD32 is the most light weight scanner I know of.. and it is compatible with Vista! :D

Ya, but it is not mainstream in the public.

I just wish these companies could make their mainstream home products more like their corporate products. I know they could not be quite the same as the user friendliness goes down and also corporate setups (like officescan) are a Client/Server setup, but still it should not be as bad as it is with bloatware.

I have tried NOD32, not bad either. Officescan is very lightweight as well though and the server + adv. config I really like :p

And another funny thing, NOD32 did very badly in PC World's test of AV scanners for heuristics. It seems like its luck of the draw sometimes with these tests....
http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,115939-page,4-c,securitysoftware/article.html

I also found this particularly funny based on what I read over at those forums about PC-Cillin being so slow compared to others:
PC World said:
Sluggishness was the biggest drawback to Norton's suite. In informal tests, system startups and shutdowns took about twice as long with Norton installed as with PC-cillin or NOD32, which had the least-discernible performance impact. Norton was the slowest at running a full disk scan, too, requiring about 12 minutes on a Windows XP Pro system equipped with an 800-MHz Pentium III processor, 256MB of RAM, and a 5400-rpm hard drive with 575MB of data. NOD32 was the fastest program, at only 52 seconds. (Norton had better detection rates than NOD32, however.) PC-cillin was the next fastest at just over 2.5 minutes.

Just so you know, this is the very first time in something like 2 years that NOD32 has not received an Advanced+ rating and it was very close to re-achieving it this time.

Also, the above linked PC World review is pretty old.. 3 years almost.

Polymorphic viruses are very rarely found, which is why only 10 are tested due to the high knowledge of programming that is required to create one not typically found with your average virus coder. Symantec has always done really well with polymorphic viruses as guru Peter Szor heads that department.

And finally, Trend Micro has declined to participate in this test many times, as has Panda.

I see, good information, thanks :)

Too bad there is no easy way to test these AV and Spyware scanners, but that comes with the territory I guess.

I see, good information, thanks :)

Too bad there is no easy way to test these AV and Spyware scanners, but that comes with the territory I guess.

The majority of sources out there seem to be rather influenced by monetary sponsors sadly, but this site has many supporters from professionals in the AV community. There is a very good discussion thread at Wilder's Security here

Back