Microsoft Officially Unveils Project Neon, the “Fluent Design System” for Windows 10

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
I’m going to get one more Build-related announcement up here, since this is probably going to be a defining part of what’s next for Windows 10 (plus, there’s a flashy video). Microsoft has elaborated on their evolution of Metro, the Microsoft Fluent Design System (formally known as Project Neon), a design language expected to result in improved user-interfaces within apps and bump up the aesthetics with blur and hover animations. The core purpose, however, is to produce a harmonious experience across multiple types of devices. Looks pretty slick, I think.

The goal of Fluent Design is to deliver harmonious, intuitive, inclusive and responsive cross-device experiences and interactions. Developers will be able to build beautiful, expressive apps with the Fluent Design language, with animations, blur and fluidity, according to Microsoft. Windows Insiders will have already seen this new Fluent Design System in action via first-party Windows 10 apps. For example, Microsoft recently pushed updates to Groove, Calculator, Films & TV, and more, that introduced improved user-interfaces within the apps, including blur and hover animations. Developers will now also be able to develop apps officially using the Fluent Design System, with the design language also coming to the OS over time too.

A lot of the features shown look like they were either on a tablet or in tablet mode on a desktop. I'm interested to see more in desktop mode.

There was also a shot of a button being laid down on a keyboard. Dedicated Windows Store button on Microsoft devices?

If everyone in the company had worked overtime on this, I think it could have still been made a tiny little bit more style over substance.
...but it would have been hard.

What am I missing here? It looks like a way to add depth and motion and and other things to Windows. Correct? Well we had depth and beautiful icons and 3D icons in Windows 7 and then the abomination of Win 8 and 10 came out and got rid of all of that for a flat ugly UI. So now Microsoft wants things to look good again? And what cross platform devices is Win 10 running on? Windows phone is all but dead and the Surface Pro runs full blown Windows 10. I guess there is the Xbox. I love it for the Desktop, but until I have control over my Desktop again I am sticking with Windows 7 and Linux. I am just a bit confused with Microsoft. They move forward acting like Windows is going to be powering many different devices and the truth is they have PCs, Laptops (Still a PC), Surface Pro (Still a PC), and the Xbox. It's not like they have a wide range of products that Win 10 is on.

What am I missing here? It looks like a way to add depth and motion and and other things to Windows. Correct? Well we had depth and beautiful icons and 3D icons in Windows 7 and then the abomination of Win 8 and 10 came out and got rid of all of that for a flat ugly UI. So now Microsoft wants things to look good again? And what cross platform devices is Win 10 running on? Windows phone is all but dead and the Surface Pro runs full blown Windows 10. I guess there is the Xbox. I love it for the Desktop, but until I have control over my Desktop again I am sticking with Windows 7 and Linux. I am just a bit confused with Microsoft. They move forward acting like Windows is going to be powering many different devices and the truth is they have PCs, Laptops (Still a PC), Surface Pro (Still a PC), and the Xbox. It's not like they have a wide range of products that Win 10 is on.
At a Microsoft TechNet event I attended in Michigan once upon time, the Microsoft rep said they ran on the most platforms then proceeded to prattle off different versions of Windows as their example. Seeing as how Microsoft must view Windows 7, 8, 8.1 and 10 as different platforms they must surely see Surface, Surface Pro, etc., as cross platform devices too.

At a Microsoft TechNet event I attended in Michigan once upon time, the Microsoft rep said they ran on the most platforms then proceeded to prattle off different versions of Windows as their example. Seeing as how Microsoft must view Windows 7, 8, 8.1 and 10 as different platforms they must surely see Surface, Surface Pro, etc., as cross platform devices too.

Guess you guys missed the part where Visual Studio developing code using C# that was connected to an iPhone with real time debugging. As fpr Windows 10 itself, you can develop a UWA that does run across phones, PCs, consoles and AR. I know, Windows phone is dead, but Windows 10 can run on phones, even ARM SoCs. And that's probably where Microsoft is headed with whatever phone efforts they have in the future, essentially Windows 10 Srunning UAWs, maybe some with Win32 support, without a specific mobile version per se.

Guess you guys missed the part where Visual Studio developing code using C# that was connected to an iPhone with real time debugging. As fpr Windows 10 itself, you can develop a UWA that does run across phones, PCs, consoles and AR. I know, Windows phone is dead, but Windows 10 can run on phones, even ARM SoCs. And that's probably where Microsoft is headed with whatever phone efforts they have in the future, essentially Windows 10 Srunning UAWs, maybe some with Win32 support, without a specific mobile version per se.
This comes across like you're living in some kind of weird Microsoft fantasyland.

There's really only one platform: Windows PC. They haven't done anything with AR, their phones are dead, and their Xbox division remains its own separate proprietary platform despite the "Xbox is Windows 10 too!*" marketing silliness.

There's really only one platform: Windows PC.

Which is exactly what they are trying to do. One core OS that runs across a number of devices. I'm just describing what they are trying to do, I said nothing about success. If they are building Windows 10 ARM and using an extension of the same UWP that's runs on whatever is left of Windows 10 Mobile, they're still working on phones at least from the software side.

Don't make it out more than it is, just pointing out that they what they demoed today is about Windows 10 running on a lot of different kinds of hardware. Because that's what they did.

A lot of the features shown look like they were either on a tablet or in tablet mode on a desktop. I'm interested to see more in desktop mode.

There was also a shot of a button being laid down on a keyboard. Dedicated Windows Store button on Microsoft devices?
That was the surface dial that was released last year

Microsoft efFluent Design System. Makes sense they want to get into the smart toilet business. We know they enjoy pushing crap on their customers. And I won't feel complete until their telemetry is leaking out my ass.

Reactions: ChadD
like this
The sizzle reel video is all great and that but I mean come on, it's taken them what like 2+ years to put file placeholders back into OneDrive? Microsoft needs to focus on executing features in a timely manner.

The sizzle reel video is all great and that but I mean come on, it's taken them what like 2+ years to put file placeholders back into OneDrive? Microsoft needs to focus on executing features in a timely manner.

They can't. They're too big and they've lost their focus on the PC.

The best thing Microsoft could do right now is end this app nonsense and re-release Windows 7 with updated hardware support. I don't see why they don't just make it a subscription product and be done with it. Users will pay for a stable platform with security updates and widespread support.

Then they can actually focus on a new mobile OS or whatever it is they're wanting to do instead of endlessly trying to reinvent the PC.

They can't. They're too big and they've lost their focus on the PC.

The best thing Microsoft could do right now is end this app nonsense and re-release Windows 7 with updated hardware support. I don't see why they don't just make it a subscription product and be done with it. Users will pay for a stable platform with security updates and widespread support.

Then they can actually focus on a new mobile OS or whatever it is they're wanting to do instead of endlessly trying to reinvent the PC.
You're kidding, right? They've had enough trouble getting you types to even go for free windows, let alone pay for a subscription!

Back