Microsoft Office - Creating a form that user cannot edit

creative-2008

Weaksauce
I need to create a document that allows a user to enter text, and then save and print the document at the end. I'm aware the PDFs are frequently used for entering and printing text, but because of software limitations I've decided to attempt this using MS Word.

With a bit of googling I've managed to get Word to do everything I need, apart from one thing, and I'm drawing a blank with it on google. Largely because it's quite a complicated/specific task to try and search for.

Basically I've enabled the 'developer' tab in Word and used this to insert text boxes. Then I've used the 'review' tab to protect the document and allow the user to only fill in forms. What I want to do is to have the user's name appear on each page of the document, without them having to type it more than once.

The obvious way to achieve this would appear to be to insert a text box that they can edit in the header of the document. However, once the document has been protected they are unable to select any text boxes in the header in order to enter data.

So, I'm wondering is it possible to insert a value into the header of the document that would pull the the data that has been input into the 'name' textbox and display it in the header, so that it will appear on every page when the document has been printed. I guess that this is similar to the way in which the Page X of Y type command, although slightly more complex.

Does anyone know if what I'm suggesting is possible? Is there another solution that I've not thought about? For a variety of reasons I'm committed to completing this task using MS Word, and if this cannot be done using this software then I'd rather live without the names in the header than switch packages.

Thanks in advance!

Back