Microsoft office 2016 runs slow and hangs

silk186

[H]ard|Gawd
My issue is with Microsoft office and how to make it more stable and responsive. My system isn't that [H]ard any more, but should be enough for Word.

i5-2500k @4.3
16GB DDR 1866
256GB Samsun 830 SSD +3x 3TB HDD
Windows 10 64 edu

Word 2016 with ad-on for Mendeley.
I don't have as much trouble with one chapter, but now with 2 chapters 48 pages, 21k words with hangs a lot.
Of coures I could remove Mendeley but I already have 8 pages of references and would not want to do them by hand.
It can be especially slow now when adding a reference, hanging for half a minute.

Both pieces of software are installed on the SSD and are up to date. What can I do to increase responsiveness without upgrading to a whole new system and adding an M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD?

I can work on a separate file for each chapter but this is not ideal.

If it will work with 64-bit office, uninstall 32-bit and install 64-bit.

That right there should take care of it if it is in fact a problem with Office.

Do you have other stuff running in the background?

Have you disabled the telemetry on Windows 10? I have seen 1 system that had issues with it and was causing super high CPU usage even when the user was not doing anything. Disabling it fixed that.

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=disable+windows+10+telemetry&spf=1

I have a lot of things running in the background. I'm currently running office 64-bit
It seems to be an issue with the referencing software, or more likely the office ad-on for the referencing software. I looked into Zotero but it seem to have the same issue with long documents.

I appreciate the suggestions. These work well, and I used them in my undergraduate but they are not suitable for a PhD. Endnote is an option, but the desktop version is not cheap, and I'm not sure it will solve the issue. I would also have to redo all of my citations manually. I have 220 citations in my first two chapters alone, and the bibliography is 8 pages long. The programs offers a lot more than just a bibliography. They format citation to any style and output a complete bibliography. They also catalogue all of my sources and allow me to search all entries and files for key words.

I have a lot of things running in the background. I'm currently running office 64-bit
It seems to be an issue with the referencing software, or more likely the office ad-on for the referencing software. I looked into Zotero but it seem to have the same issue with long documents.

If you're still discussing this I'll throw in my 2 cents worth.
If I were you, based on what you've said, I'd focus on:
1) reducing the number of things you are running simultaneously or in the background if at all possible - even if only when you're running Office 2016
2) have a fresh look at your OS from a performance tuning perspective. Autoruns from sysinternals is an easy tool to start with for an overview of everything that's running concurrently. Focus on reducing performance overheads, by disabling and turning off features and software you are NOT using or don't care about. look at the system itself - particularly OS services. disable any that are not relevant. consider your memory usage too - how does the OS'es committed bytes figure look versus the physical memory in the system?
3) I would test both the Office 2016 and the mendeley process running with elevated priority - set both to HIGH. if that makes a positive difference, you can then set it permanently.
4) if you get stuck and the above points don't make much difference - then I'd suggest you setup performance monitor, run it in the background, log to CSV with 5 or 10 seconds intervals and then test office and ensure it exhibits the same bad performance, then examine the performance monitor logs.
I'd be looking for obvious issues like paging faults, resource utilisation levels and any of the error counters for the basic system resources (CPU, memory, disk)
...that might point you in the right direction :)

Back