Microsoft Office 2013 Joke

Wrench00

2[H]4U
Nickel and diming our way to the cloud

Office retail licenses could... up until 2013 ... be moved from computer to computer.

Apparently...not any more. Check out the 2013 retail EULA:

Office 2013 Software License Agreement - Office Watch:
http://news.office-watch.com/t/n.aspx?a=1782
Under our license we grant you the right to install and run that one
copy on one computer (the licensed computer) for use by one person at a
time, but only if you comply with all the terms of this agreement. Our
software license is permanently assigned to the licensed computer
You may not transfer the software to another computer or user.

No point in retail just buy OEM. MS is really desperate for people to sign up for their cloud dream.

I think retail still gives you 1 computer + 1 laptop install (in practice at least). And of course you can change hardware as much as you want. OEM is more restrictive, but I understand your point.

the cloud seems rather stormy as of late... this is doomed to fail
we don't even have the bandwidth for this BS

the cloud seems rather stormy as of late... this is doomed to fail
we don't even have the bandwidth for this BS

This.

Someday there might actually be enough bandwidth for the cloud, but there sure as hell isn't the bandwidth or isp reliability yet.

people still upgrade MS office?

Nope. Depending on the rig, I'm still using 2002, 2003, 2007, Kingsoft, or Open Office.

I think they're pretty much only getting new buyers who have never had it before. I can't see any reason to need an upgrade.

Powerpoint is what keeps people upgrading. 2010 was the first powerpoint that supported video backgrounds, for instance. But yea...this is stupid. I understand 1 concurrent user...but why lock it to a single machine?

Great so instead of 600 dollars -- we get to pay what? 100 bucks a year or some crap like that?

I've never paid for a version of office because you can find so many alternatives that don't cost an arm and a leg. Besides, why shell out 600 dollars every 3 years when the older versions work just fine?

You could do everything you need in any office environment on Office 2007, I'll be rocking Office 2010 for quite some time since I rarely use it as it is.

I had office 2013 installed for a few days, then installed it.

Visio 2013 is horrible, all flat graphics like metro, don't like it at all right now

i'm in the IT field and it's so funny how people jump to the newest version so quickly when from what i've seen people doing in these office applications, openoffice would suffice and it's free. i'm pretty sure at least 95% of the users barely use more than 10% of what the software can truly do. the worse excuse i've heard from moving to 2013: "i like the new look"... goodness?!

i'm in the IT field and it's so funny how people jump to the newest version so quickly when from what i've seen people doing in these office applications, openoffice would suffice and it's free. i'm pretty sure at least 95% of the users barely use more than 10% of what the software can truly do. the worse excuse i've heard from moving to 2013: "i like the new look"... goodness?!

Good to hear it, just installed Open Office for my Dad's work computer

Office is an absolute pain to deal with for licensing. Trying to remember how many licenses are required for Office itself per computer, with Exchange and the extra licenses required to run it on a remote desktop environment :S

Office is an absolute pain to deal with for licensing. Trying to remember how many licenses are required for Office itself per computer, with Exchange and the extra licenses required to run it on a remote desktop environment :S

You need one license per user for Office
If using exchange you need one Exchange user CAL per user
For RDP you need one RDP Service CAL
For the user to begin with you need one Windows CAL

Not that hard really, try getting into SPLA and Citrix CSP and VMWare service provider licensing, then it gets confusing, Office is the easiest to license lol

I had office 2013 installed for a few days, then installed it.

Visio 2013 is horrible, all flat graphics like metro, don't like it at all right now

Oh ... the Visio 2013 changes are far worse than just having moved to flat graphics ... at least if you ever use Visio for UML or Data modeling; those features have been completely deprecated.

Oddly, they tout that the UML diagrams are now UML 2.4 compliant ... great ... shame there's no intelligence or semantic awareness behind any of the shapes anymore. You can't even meaningfully work with 2010 UML/Data model documents you already have.

So in addition to a 20% price hike, much of the functionality of the "Pro" version has been downgraded to be equivalent to Visio 2010 Standard. Nice!

I still use Office 2003 on my Win7 desktop, on my Win8 Laptop, and I will be using it on the new Win8 desktop that I'm building next week... :)
Upgrading Office = :(

Oh ... the Visio 2013 changes are far worse than just having moved to flat graphics ... at least if you ever use Visio for UML or Data modeling; those features have been completely deprecated.

Oddly, they tout that the UML diagrams are now UML 2.4 compliant ... great ... shame there's no intelligence or semantic awareness behind any of the shapes anymore. You can't even meaningfully work with 2010 UML/Data model documents you already have.

So in addition to a 20% price hike, much of the functionality of the "Pro" version has been downgraded to be equivalent to Visio 2010 Standard. Nice!

I didn't even get that far with it. I loaded it, did one detailed network drawing which was a pain with the new graphics and connectors. Then found out I could not open some 2010 visio's I had and it got uninstalled. Thank goodness it was action pack and not purchased lol

I think retail still gives you 1 computer + 1 laptop install (in practice at least). And of course you can change hardware as much as you want. OEM is more restrictive, but I understand your point.
It specifically says under "Retail License" that you cannot transfer.

Also, the portable computer +computer deal was specifically pointed out in the license agreement that you could do that. It no longer is.

Been using 2013 for a bit and the biggest annoyance is Word opens attachments or docs opened by other users in that terrible read-only view. I haven't bothered to see if you can disable it though.

I like the Outlook interface a lot more and my friend likes that it now spell checks the subject line automatically.

Sucks about the licensing but I'm not the one paying for it.

Try File->Options->Trust Center->Trust Center Settings->Protected View ... uncheck everything.

"You may not transfer the software to another computer or user."

What do they define as "another computer"? I upgrade my computer failrly often - at what point does it stop being the original computer? When every part has been upgraded/changed?

Really what a silly way to word things. Beyond ambiguous and undoubtably on purpose.

"You may not transfer the software to another computer or user."

What do they define as "another computer"? I upgrade my computer failrly often - at what point does it stop being the original computer? When every part has been upgraded/changed?

Really what a silly way to word things. Beyond ambiguous and undoubtably on purpose.

What they mean is you have two working computers and you uninstall it from one computer where it's currently installed and then install it on another.

Or of your computer breaks and you go to the computer store and buy an entirely new computer and throw away the old one then you would also need to buy a new copy of Office.

But if you upgrade your current computer, or if you repair your current computer then you do not have to buy a new copy of office, unless THE EULA AND NOT SOME OTHER DOCUMENT says that replacing a component such as the CPU or motherboard requires you to purchase a new copy.

Back