Microsoft Office 2007 to Support ODF - and not OOXML

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by eeyrjmr, May 21, 2008.

1. eeyrjmr

eeyrjmr [H]ardness Supreme

http://www.consortiuminfo.org/standardsblog/article.php?story=20080521092930864

Quote:
    Microsoft today announced that it would update Office 2007 to natively support ODF 1.1, but not to implement its own OOXML format. Moreover, it would also join both the OASIS working group as well as the ISO/IEC JTC1 working group that has control of the ISO/IEC version of ODF. Implementation of DIS 29500, the ISO/IEC JTC 1 version of OOXML that has still not been publicly released will await the release of Office 14, the ship date of which remains unannounced.

They must smell an overturn of MSOOXML ISO on the horizon

2. DeaconFrost

DeaconFrost [H]ardForum Junkie

Maybe I'm going off tangent here, but I honestly don't see what's wrong with PDF that we need another "universal format".

3. Joe Average

Joe Average Ad Blocker - Banned

PDF != Microsoft created product, soo.... that should explain it right there. Or maybe put this way...

Microsoft created products = World domination!!! Anything less = unacceptable. :)

4. LstOfTheBrunnenG

LstOfTheBrunnenG [H]ardness Supreme

I would say that walking into an Ubuntu forum and saying that ODF is a Microsoft format is like walking into an African-American neighborhood wearing KKK robes.