Microsoft No Longer Selling Lumia Windows Phones

HardOCP News

[H] News
Aside from the author of this article, I don't think anyone noticed that Microsoft is no longer selling any Lumia Windows phones in its US store. ;)

Earlier this month, Microsoft's UK store ran out of stock of all its Windows 10 Mobile devices. This week, its US store sold out of all unlocked models of the same handsets too. Now, it seems that Lumia has reached the end of the line, as the Microsoft Store is no longer selling any of the company's Windows Phone 8.1 or Windows 10 Mobile handsets in the US.

Why didn't MS just save time and effort by literally burning $8 billion in cash? At least that could have served a useful function by heating the headquarters building for a little while.

Exhibit A $1 billion in $100 bills:

H6yh9sL.jpg

Change it to $20s, and you'd have 40x more mass to burn to equal what MS wasted on (DESTROYING) Nokia.

Why didn't MS just save time and effort by literally burning $8 billion in cash? At least that could have served a useful function by heating the headquarters building for a little while.

Exhibit A $1 billion in $100 bills:

H6yh9sL.jpg

Change it to $20s, and you'd have 40x more mass to burn to equal what MS wasted on (DESTROYING) Nokia.
Don't worry.. there is someone at MS is just typing extra zeroes to their balance sheet.. you know its true.

Last edited:
The Surface Phone is coming. They've had pretty good luck with their Surface lineup so I'll wait to see how they turn out before condemning them.

With ARM support for x86/x64 coming, pretty sure it's just a matter of time. It would make a perfect addition to the lineup, a set of devices with a common core that range from the phone to the desktop. It won't save Windows phones in terms of it ever having significant market share, but the x86/x64 ARM support, if that's good, does make such devices useful in niche situations.

They'd be better off making the Surface phone android based.
I don't see the point of that. Clearly an Android-based Lumia line would have fared better since Windows Phone failed hard and I can't imagine how Android could do worse. Android doesn't really fit in with the "Windows Everywhere" strategy, and it's not clear what benefits MS could bring to Android. The x86 compatibility for ARM processors is just a semi-useful in a pinch trick, and isn't going to make a big difference for ARM-based Windows 10 devices. It's all about native software.

I agree with those that say x86 on a phone is silly. It may be awesome on a tablet but could you imagine trying to use desktop programs on a 5" screen? No thanks.

Rip lumina, people loved the zue os but it didn't transition to a phone like they hoped.

Business is ditching surface for its terrible reliability, wifi, and reparability. Not to mention microsofts failure the build out deployment and imaging for enterprise. You'll see everyone goint to surface clones from the likes of dell or sticking with laptops.

Surface phone?, who is going to be the IT director to commit suicide by forcing a phone with no apps everyone expects on their business users?

Win10 AIO devices are coming en masse to complement/compete with the HP Elite X3.

Smartphones with full Windows that can be docked and used with an external monitor and kbam. Should be pretty awesome.

Nokia edge this year guys. Forgotten already?

A new surface phone in late 2017 or even 2018. Way too late to the party. Everything about Microsoft sucks right now. It's all terrible. Only way I'd buy a surface phone is for the compatibility with real applications. Android probably beat them to it at some point.

Nokia sells (feature) phones:
https://www.nokia.com/en_int/phones/all-phones
http://www.hmdglobal.com/
Microsoft sold back the feature phone business to Nokia who licensed it to HMD Global.

Last time I heard that Nokia is also planning into getting back to smartphone business, this time with Android. Gonna be hard though, cheap chinese models like Huawei and Xiaomi offer so tremendous bang for the buck that if you want something noticeably different and better you have to spend big bucks on high end phones like iPhone or Samsungs flagship models. Not much room for new players. I fear Nokia would have to sell their phones with the power of their name alone.

Oh Sweden, how we miss thee.

Oh, but Nokia (the company still exists) is Finnish, not Swedish.

Ericsson was the Swedish mobile phone company, but they spun off and merged their consumer division with Sony years ago. I have no idea what happened to them since. I haven't seen a Sony/Ericsson phone in a while...

Reactions: Zuul
like this
Last time I heard that Nokia is also planning into getting back to smartphone business, this time with Android. Gonna be hard though, cheap chinese models like Huawei and Xiaomi offer so tremendous bang for the buck that if you want something noticeably different and better you have to spend big bucks on high end phones like iPhone or Samsungs flagship models. Not much room for new players. I fear Nokia would have to sell their phones with the power of their name alone.

Yeah. I don't understand why non-chinese phone companies haven't marketed their trustworthiness more.

This - to me - seems to be the big selling point compared to Chinese designed phones.

It's bad enough that every phone out there is manufactured in China, but there is no way in hell I'd buy one designed in china, especially with the factory ROM packaged there.

Oh, but Nokia (the company still exists) is Finnish, not Swedish.

Ericsson was the Swedish mobile phone company, but they spun off and merged their consumer division with Sony years ago. I have no idea what happened to them since. I haven't seen a Sony/Ericsson phone in a while...

Zarathustra 1
Westrock 0

:censored:

This is a shame the 650 was a really nice and very cheap phone. It was dual sim and oled. We used them for corporate phones.

They'd be better off making the Surface phone android based.

I just don't get this surface phone pipedream. Even with amazing flagship caliber $900 hardware, wtf will it matter when the OS running on it is a half baked, buggy, crashprone abomination with no apps that repels consumers because the UI looks like it's designed for five year olds?

Nothing Microsoft has done in the past year suggests they care about Wmobile anymore, it's abandoned, they stopped selling Lumias last week and those things were barely a year old. Ever been to Microsoft's campus or a Microsoft store? Even employees don't carry Windows phones - it's all iPhone and Android.

It's dead.

Last edited:
I just don't get this surface phone pipedream. Even with amazing flagship caliber $900 hardware, wtf will it matter when the OS running on it is a half baked, buggy, crashprone abomination with no apps that repels consumers because the UI looks like it's designed for five year olds?

Nothing Microsoft has done in recent quarters suggests they care about Wmobile anymore, it's abandoned, they stopped selling Lumias last week and those things were barely a year old. Ever been to Microsoft's campus or a Microsoft store? Even Microsoft employees don't carry Windows phones - it's all iPhone and Android.

It's dead.

It's not abandoned, they thought it would be a better idea to force it onto desktop where the interface is totally incompatible and turn it into a circus with everyone forced into the buggy crashy constant updates because it sucks festivities. Everything about them right now just sucks. I gave my mum my old Nokia 52x win 8.1 dual sim to use, she just needs a phone, so that does it, I'm running a Microsoft 535(?) with win10 on it, most likely going to get a Nokia edge when they release. Sick of buggy software and no applications, and cheap androids are rubbish, and high level is too expensive for what they are.

It's not abandoned, they thought it would be a better idea to force it onto desktop where the interface is totally incompatible and turn it into a circus with everyone forced into the buggy crashy constant updates because it sucks festivities.

I think there really is a divide on the experiences that people are having with Windows 10. I built the sig rig last summer, updated monitors and added VR for Christmas. It's been the best experience I've ever had with a PC. Of course to really compare I'd have to try all of this stuff out with different OSes but everything has been free of serious problems and everything is working great. In reading various comments while there's people who say they're having all sorts of issues, there are plenty that seem to be happy with 10 as well. I don't really think that's all that different from prior versions of Windows. 7 and XP might be exceptions, at least XP after SP3.

Surface Phone would fail just as hard. Microsoft doesn't understand the market.
I think there really is a divide on the experiences that people are having with Windows 10. I built the sig rig last summer, updated monitors and added VR for Christmas. It's been the best experience I've ever had with a PC. Of course to really compare I'd have to try all of this stuff out with different OSes but everything has been free of serious problems and everything is working great. In reading various comments while there's people who say they're having all sorts of issues, there are plenty that seem to be happy with 10 as well. I don't really think that's all that different from prior versions of Windows. 7 and XP might be exceptions, at least XP after SP3.

Windows 10 is dead, it's market share has flat-lined below a 7 year old OS. Windows 7's market share grew twice as much as Windows 10 in December. That's unprecedented. 10 is so awful they literally couldn't even give it away.

Microsoft is in trouble across the board. They just don't seem to understand what customers want. The best experience I've had recently was dumping Windows for Linux Mint. All my hardware just works. 1/3 of my Steam library is Linux native. All my favorite games are Linux native. It's an actual desktop-oriented OS that respects my settings and privacy.

Windows 7 wont be around forever. Unless Microsoft gets it together the desktop is going to go Linux just like phones, servers, and enterprise did.

Yeah, we knew that already, this is old news, they are not producing anymore. However, you should still be able to buy what is left in stock. Glad I have my 950 and 650 already. :) Edit: Online shows out of stock but, they had a really good sale going at $299 and $249 for the 950xl and 950 for a little while there so, that is no surprise.

Yeah, we knew that already, this is old news, they are not producing anymore. However, you should still be able to buy what is left in stock. Glad I have my 950 and 650 already. :) Edit: Online shows out of stock but, they had a really good sale going at $299 and $249 for the 950xl and 950 for a little while there so, that is no surprise.

My 1520 broke back early Oct and I only had two choices with AT&T to stay with a windows phone. The 650XL or 950. When for the smaller 950 since it was the only one of the two phones that had windows 10 on it. Was supposed to be shipped overnight and took about 2 weeks instead. I wish they would have had one of the 950XLs at that time as going from the 1520 down to a 950 was a massive change in phone size. This phone seems so damn small.

My 1520 broke back early Oct and I only had two choices with AT&T to stay with a windows phone. The 650XL or 950. When for the smaller 950 since it was the only one of the two phones that had windows 10 on it. Was supposed to be shipped overnight and took about 2 weeks instead. I wish they would have had one of the 950XLs at that time as going from the 1520 down to a 950 was a massive change in phone size. This phone seems so damn small.

Yeah, I am the exact opposite though. I find that 950 to be almost just the right size and the 650 to be perfect, as far as size goes for a phone anyways. I checked out the 950 XL and could have bought one for $299 from the local Microsoft Store but, it just seemed to big to me.

Windows 10 is dead, it's market share has flat-lined below a 7 year old OS. Windows 7's market share grew twice as much as Windows 10 in December. That's unprecedented. 10 is so awful they literally couldn't even give it away.

Sure, except it's one month in one survey that shows declines in Linux and a big one in macOS and Windows overall market share in increasing by 0.8% to like 91.72% I believe. GS Stat Counter shows much more growth in 10 compared to 7 and 10 broke 50% in the Steam Hardware Survey last month and is blowing well past 7. So all these data points, whatever people want to think of them, tell slightly different stories. Yes Windows 10's growth is sluggish, but other non-Windows OSes contracted last month and 7s days as the #1 PC gaming OS are well behind it.

Microsoft is in trouble across the board. They just don't seem to understand what customers want.

On any given day you can look at comments on Windows 10 there's a wide variety of perspectives. What a billion people want is everything. What is possible is a subset of that. Sure there's things Microsoft needs to work on and sure there are things that will always make some unhappy.

The best experience I've had recently was dumping Windows for Linux Mint. All my hardware just works. 1/3 of my Steam library is Linux native. All my favorite games are Linux native. It's an actual desktop-oriented OS that respects my settings and privacy.

I don't get what's so impressive about something that's not compatible with 2/3rds.

Windows 7 wont be around forever. Unless Microsoft gets it together the desktop is going to go Linux just like phones, servers, and enterprise did.

Sure, a survey that you laud for showing much more growth in 7 than 10 also showed Linux overall losing market share. For 2016, Linux lost 10% share in the Steam Hardware Survey.

I don't get what's so impressive about something that's not compatible with 2/3rds.

It's quite a bit more than nil, like the number of users in the Windows app store.

Over the course of just 2 years we've gone from basically no games on Linux to more games than I have time to play. That's pretty impressive. Linux is actually a viable desktop OS for gamers now.

I've moved all but one of my computers to Linux Mint. Windows 7 wont last forever, it's time for gamers and power users to make the switch.

Windows 10 is still growing at a faster rate than any other available OS. How is that dead?

Windows 10 is still growing at a faster rate than any other available OS. How is that dead?

Windows 7 is growing twice as fast and its not even available any more... and that was over the holidays. There's no point in polishing this turd, Windows 10 is a failure.

It's quite a bit more than nil, like the number of users in the Windows app store.

There's a number of apps in the Windows Store now that are good. Forza Horizon 3 and Gears or War 4 which got some positive coverage on HardOCP are excellent.

Over the course of just 2 years we've gone from basically no games on Linux to more games than I have time to play. That's pretty impressive. Linux is actually a viable desktop OS for gamers now.

I've moved all but one of my computers to Linux Mint. Windows 7 wont last forever, it's time for gamers and power users to make the switch.

Not sure it's time for gamers and power users to move to Linux when those groups are the ones that will see the largest gaps in application support. You can call the gaming library of Linux good for you, but most are going to miss the 75% of games that aren't there, as well as things like Microsoft Office, Photoshop, etc.

Windows 7 is growing twice as fast and its not even available any more... and that was over the holidays. There's no point in polishing this turd, Windows 10 is a failure.

So one month and that's all you have to look at? Ok, desktop Linux's share dropped 0.1% in December, it's a turd and a failure. macOS lost over 0.6%, it's an even bigger turd and failure. The Steam Survey is the one that I think will be the long term result. 7 has been totally gone by there and ultimately over the next 3 years that's what's going to happen in the general and business markets.

Oh dear, another person that doesn't know math.
What have millenials done to the world?

So one month and that's all you have to look at? Ok, desktop Linux's share dropped 0.1% in December, it's a turd and a failure. macOS lost over 0.6%, it's an even bigger turd and failure. The Steam Survey is the one that I think will be the long term result. 7 has been totally gone by there and ultimately over the next 3 years that's what's going to happen in the general and business markets.

The rate of growth for Windows 10 is still greater than Windows 7. Even in that one off month of anomaly.

Yeah, I am the exact opposite though. I find that 950 to be almost just the right size and the 650 to be perfect, as far as size goes for a phone anyways. I checked out the 950 XL and could have bought one for $299 from the local Microsoft Store but, it just seemed to big to me.

I never found it too large. Which I think the 1520 was actually .1 inch larger than the 950xl. Although part of it has to do with my use for a phone. I use it for basically a small thin client at times to remote desktop into a server at work to work on stuff when away from desk. Used to find that much easier than setting my phone up as a hotspot and getting out my laptop. Now, I just take out my laptop as it is much easier than trying to fo anything on this small screen.

I agree with those that say x86 on a phone is silly. It may be awesome on a tablet but could you imagine trying to use desktop programs on a 5" screen? No thanks.

But take a mini-hdmi to HDMI cable and hook it up in your hotel room or local conference room, and you now have all the screen size you need. I see where they're going, and I think it is a long game that makes sense for a significant percentage of people. Though probably not near a majority, at least enough to justify producing some devices and expanding the windows hold on the world, even though probably not within the phone market per se.

BB

Back