Microsoft: "No Known Ransomware Works against Windows 10 S"

Now why in the holy hell would Microsoft come out and say something so GD stoopid.

upload_2017-6-9_9-21-47.jpeg

Now why in the holy hell would Microsoft come out and say something so GD stoopid.

Did they even say it? I was trying to find the source of this statement from Microsoft, it's not in the whitepaper.

Last edited:
Hmmm....

Windows 7, which Microsoft wants to kill off, is the most vulnerable to WannaCry.
Windows 10, which Microsoft is pushing, is not vulnerable to WannaCry.
Windows 10S, which forces you to get everything from the store (which Microsoft gets a cut of), is supposedly invulnerable to Malware in general.

So, anyone have any guesses as to who's agenda would most benefit most from writing lots of Malware/Ransomware that target Windows 7, etc????

I'm not, quite, enough of a conspiracy theorist to say Microsoft is actually writing the malware, but I'd bet good money that they aren't putting much effort into security patches for Windows 7/Windows 8, even thought they are still supposedly "supported".

Hmmm....

Windows 7, which Microsoft wants to kill off, is the most vulnerable to WannaCry.
Windows 10, which Microsoft is pushing, is not vulnerable to WannaCry.
Windows 10S, which forces you to get everything from the store (which Microsoft gets a cut of), is supposedly invulnerable to Malware in general.

So, anyone have any guesses as to who's agenda would most benefit most from writing lots of Malware/Ransomware that target Windows 7, etc????

I'm not, quite, enough of a conspiracy theorist to say Microsoft is actually writing the malware, but I'd bet good money that they aren't putting much effort into security patches for Windows 7/Windows 8, even thought they are still supposedly "supported".
Saying it's invulnerable to malware is just plain silly.
There are apps on the app store, play store and amazon app store which have malware loaded in them.
If the microsoft store doesn't have these apps yet, it's because the microsoft store sucks and has very little market share. As soon as the market share grows (probably never, but you never know) there will be apps on there that are free but contain malware.

I can't find a source for the article quote either.

Most of the world runs on Windows, so yeah, Windows is going to be the most affected. Criminals don't go after the little guys!

For those that haven't used Windows 10 S yet, use it and then form an opinion. If you are forming it off of your existing hatred for Windows, then your issue isn't Windows 10 S.

As for the RT comment, it is not RT. Not even close. While having some similar behaviors, the store lockdown is about the only thing similar. How the two OSes do it are completely different. Also, RT was an ARM version of windows. The limitations placed on it were the hardware. This is not the case with S. If something isn't signed, then it can't run. Pay a fee, flip a switch, and you suddenly have Windows 10 Pro. And I think that fee is waived for time, so complaint nullified for a bit.

It's being marketed for students and those that want a solid, reliable, and fast system with little risks. For a student, having a PC that can do all their school work on a solid reliable platform that is resilient to "the nasties" and easy to manage for an institution is a great plus. I do CS for a large OEM tablet/device manufacturer and I can't relate how many calls I've taken where people have lost data or been infected. Always their fault, but that's beside the point. I hear "I just need a device that will work and get me through school reliably" constantly, but then remoting into their machines, they do not take care of them. Little to no A/V, all sorts of malware/spyware/adware installed, windows updates disabled or otherwise hampered, and the list goes on. If you take your Hyundai Elantra out and race it, it's going to break. If you abuse ANYTHING other then it's intents, you are going to have consequences.

I know most here are technically up and up, so this all doesn't really apply to you and you shouldn't get all up in arms about it. IMO, the "in the know" crowd should be championing this.

Again, Windows 10 S isn't marketed toward you. I know this would be perfect for my folks and save me a lot of headaches! is it perfect, no! But Windows has to run on almost infinite hardware and fill almost infinite roles. If you don't like the way it's done, go to an alternate OS that does that, or MAKE YOUR OWN. The bashing on MS gets old. Not that I am a fan, but come on.

I bet Windows RT tablets have a decent track record.

For what they were supposed to be for, they were and still are great devices. People expected too much from them.

TLDR; The sky is not falling

"Free/open source operating systems -- that power the energy, banking, ecommerce, and infrastructure sectors -- must be banned outright"

HOLY SHIT. That lady is fucking ignorant.
I know it's political, but it just seems the timing of windows S fits too conveniently. If she had her way, she'd take the UK down the drain on tech issues that I'm not sure how they could recover.

Same reason my lumia 950 is one of the most secure phones....no one would bother to write malware targeting it :p

Well that's ironic because, with only the Windows Store available for apps, no real productivity can be done with Windows 10 S. (He shoots, HE SCORES!)

Well that's ironic because, with only the Windows Store available for apps, no real productivity can be done with Windows 10 S. (He shoots, HE SCORES!)

Office will be available shortly, that's a big one. I've noticed also even some open source apps coming into the Store, Krita was just added. For open source stuff, since there's no money involved, this is not a bad way to get new users who may not have otherwise heard of the app. The Store is no where it needs to be but slowly it has been getting content.

Most people only seem to need Office, so I think a lot of people would be fine with W10S, actually. But, you know...way to pat yourself on the back or whatever that was.

Office will be available shortly, that's a big one. I've noticed also even some open source apps coming into the Store, Krita was just added. For open source stuff, since there's no money involved, this is not a bad way to get new users who may not have otherwise heard of the app. The Store is no where it needs to be but slowly it has been getting content.

Hold up, Office isn't available on the Windows store for these devices yet?

Not the desktop version. Since these devices are just releasing there's been no need to distribute Office through the Store though that should have already happened.

And Microsoft wonders why developers don't take the windows store seriously, when they themselves don't. Two years into Windows 10, six years into the metro/store era and Microsoft still couldn't be bothered to at least centennial-wrapper Office Win32 into a UWP fake-app.

The dirty secret is that the Office team was tasked with making a WinRT native (Windows 8 store ) - and then shifted to WinRT10 (UWP) native version of Office years ago, but they couldn't, because WinRT10/XAML is too weak to replicate the Win32 featureset. And once again, MS wonders why developers completely ignore creating anything UWP native.

Last edited:
And Microsoft wonders why developers don't take the windows store seriously, when they themselves don't. Two years into Windows 10, six years into the metro/store era and Microsoft still couldn't be bothered to at least centennial-wrapper Office Win32 into a UWP fake-app.

This is a great point however and it shouldn't have taken this long. But Cententnial wasn't available at the launch of Windows 10, that came out with the Anniversary Update last year. And in all fairness you were just complaining in another thread about GoW 4 being only in the Windows Store.

The dirty secret is that the Office team was tasked with making a WinRT native (Windows 8 store ) - and then shifted to WinRT10 (UWP) native version of Office years ago, but they couldn't, because WinRT10/XAML is too weak to replicate the Win32 featureset. And once again, MS wonders why developers completely ignore creating anything UWP native.

I would say there is truth to this. But not so much weakness as other concerns. Win32 apps can do whatever they want and that's not a great thing when even most PCs these days have batteries. Apple figured that out long ago. And indeed one good reason why you should comingle traditional desktop apps and battery powered devices is power efficiency. But Microsoft has abandoned that idea and started to release Win32 apps in the store that are neither touch or battery friendly.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft-no-known-ransomware-windows-we-tried-to-hack-it/

We asked Matthew Hickey, a security researcher and co-founder of cybersecurity firm Hacker House, a simple enough question: Will ransomware install on this operating system? It took him a little over three hours to bust the operating system's various layers of security, but he got there. "I'm honestly surprised it was this easy," he said in a call after his attack. "When I looked at the branding and the marketing for the new operating system, I thought they had further enhanced it. I would've wanted more restrictions on trying to run privileged processes instead of it being such a short process."

Back