Microsoft: "No Known Ransomware Works against Windows 10 S"

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Is this something I should bookmark just in case Windows 10 S does succumb to some sort of malicious software? Microsoft is reminding us of how secure the latest versions of Windows are with two points: one, no Windows 10 customers were known to be compromised by the recent WannaCry (WannaCrypt) global cyberattack, and two, Windows 10 S is immune to ransomware due it only running software from within Microsoft’s ecosystem. Take a look at the whitepaper for MS’s arguments on how the OS provides peace of mind.

When WannaCry was running rampant on older versions of Windows -- Windows 7 being the most at risk -- Windows 10 was unaffected. According to Microsoft, "no Windows 10 customers were known to be compromised by the recent WannaCry (WannaCrypt) global cyberattack." That’s great news for anyone running the latest version of the OS, and the software giant says it is working to ensure Windows 10 remains safe from other future attacks. However, if you want to guarantee your safety from ransomware, then Microsoft points out there’s an even more secure option to consider -- Windows 10 S. The new, hardened Windows 10 variant only runs apps from the Windows Store, which means it can’t run programs from outside Microsoft’s ecosystem, and that includes malware.

But can't win32 programs be tricked to run on Win10S? I thought Citrix just did that.

Talk about throwing out the baby with the bathwater.

Cool ransomware doesn't work on it, and neither is any program I'd want to run on a computer.

And in fairness, there are tons of Linux supporters that constantly say "People don't need Win32 apps." And that is true for SOME people. Not for Windows folks in a place like this. Windows 10 S does make sense but at the same time undercuts the greatest strength of Windows. But not everyone needs that strength. I think that in the consumer space 10 S won't be popular but in education and even certain business sectors, it might see some decent adoption.

And in fairness, there are tons of Linux supporters that constantly say "People don't need Win32 apps." And that is true for SOME people. Not for Windows folks in a place like this. Windows 10 S does make sense but at the same time undercuts the greatest strength of Windows. But not everyone needs that strength. I think that in the consumer space 10 S won't be popular but in education and even certain business sectors, it might see some decent adoption.
Well windows 10 S doesn't even run Linux apps. For basic usage linux is quite enough (eg.: browsing the net, social media, sending email, watching videos, playing music) The problem is that people who would only use the computer for those purposes have already moved on to tablets and smartphones.

Yup, the most secure computer is also the most useless... mostly because it has to be turned off to be fully secure!

My TI99/4A is the same. No known ransomware works on it. I think my C64 may be that way, too.

Fuck yea. I'm ahead of the game!

you-cant-if-you-dont-you-cant-get-hacked-if-you-dont-use-a-network-capable-computer.jpg

Hmm, isn't it weird that Teresa May asked for more securty by forcing manufacturers of OSes to make them all walled gardens? Now 10 S is being pushed?
"Proprietary operating system vendors (Microsoft and Apple) must be ordered to redesign their operating systems as walled gardens that only allow users to run software from an app store, which will not sell or give secure software to Britons"

And no known person wants to get stuck with Windows 10 S either.

Well, I do know a couple of worshippers in here that would do it and are already praising how amazing it is.

Hell, according to them, it already killed ChromeOS, its already more useful than any Linux distro and superior than IOS and android combined!;)

1. Market penetration. You may as well try to ransom people who use dos to surf the net with.

2. It's still a Microsoft product that got ransomed. If they fixed their updates instead of pulling this force to win10 campaign it wouldn't have happened. Just remember those systems compromised are still from the same company.

Hardened? Then why do they not give every os this ability right now? Oh they mean it's locked down, made unattractive to use and only loads broken scam ware from a source of false security. Gotcha.

When WannaCry was running rampant on older versions of Windows -- Windows 7 being the most at risk -- Windows 10 was unaffected.

Windows 7 is suppose to still be a supported OS ... wonder how crappy and vulnerable Windows 10 will be made when they've got the next thing to push to people.

This entire statement from Microsoft is nothing but a dare to see if it can be done, and it will of course, how long it takes it now in the hands of whoever picks up the gauntlet Microsoft just threw on the ground at their feet. :D

Should someone send them a cookie congratulating them on misunderstanding the concept of a walled garden. Or misunderstanding the difference between a useless stupid idea and a useful or money making or good idea...

Because windows 10 S should be exclusive to the phone market...

This is like begging to be hit. Some people will see this as a challenge. GG microsoft. GG.

Just curious, was there anything besides this white paper as to the source of Microsoft saying "No Known Ransomware Works against Windows 10 S"? Because that statement isn't in this white paper. The paper only refers to Windows 10 S specifically in one paragraph:

Windows 10 S: Microsoft-verified security Windows 10 S is streamlined for security and performance and works exclusively with apps from the Windows Store. Any app that doesn’t go through our Store onboarding, vetting, and signing process won’t run. By allowing only verified apps to run, Windows 10 S protects devices against malware, ransomware, and other similar attacks.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Stuxnet do just that to the Iran nuclear centrifuges?
The picture said "network capable computer".

Many of the infected computers in the Iran Nuclear fiasco had networking, that's how it spread. Whether or not they were connected to the Internet is another story. They likely had their own local intranet for logins, etc.

The picture said "network capable computer".

Many of the infected computers in the Iran Nuclear fiasco had networking, that's how it spread. Whether or not they were connected to the Internet is another story. They likely had their own local intranet for logins, etc.
it was my understanding that a usb drive that was infected was plugged into one of the computers on the private non internet connected network.

Also network capable is relative most of those old pc had connections that could be made with the right equipment. also the ti 99 had networking http://atariage.com/forums/blog/567/entry-11693-the-ti-994a-internet-browser-updated-062516/

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Stuxnet do just that to the Iran nuclear centrifuges?

That's a whole 'nother ball of wax. Stuxnet was hardcoded to work ONLY on those systems. it was very direct and very intentional. The iranians shouldn't have had those siemens systems in the first place due to trade restrictions. So, a few groups saw this being a serious issue and made stuxnet happen. I will neither confirm nor deny USA had any hand in it. But I'm fairly certain who ever did it did have their blessing.

Somebody injected it. I think it may have shipped with stuxnet preinstalled. But that's pure speculation.

Hmm, isn't it weird that Teresa May asked for more securty by forcing manufacturers of OSes to make them all walled gardens? Now 10 S is being pushed?
"Proprietary operating system vendors (Microsoft and Apple) must be ordered to redesign their operating systems as walled gardens that only allow users to run software from an app store, which will not sell or give secure software to Britons"
For real? She said that?

"no known randsomeware works... or will be distributed/downloaded" are two major different things.

Alot of android malware apps have sleeper malware... what stops microsoft from allowing people to install the 50th version of excel viewer available on their store or the 300 options of adobe reader (I havnt used the store since win10 was launched but it was garbage... many fake or copycat apps )...
a. install app with functionality (game, crap copy of app)
b. wait 2 months
c. enable sleeper malware with randsomeware since everything is always connected when online...

so is it "immune" because its "hardened" or is it immune because "we will control distribution but since we want millions of apps and staff 15 interns... we wont be able to monitor malware and eventually this article was wrong".

I would hope that their new OS would be patched to the same level as their current OS's. Why is this news?

Back