Microsoft: New CPUs Will Require Windows 10

This is probably less of an issue if this is the case. If they refuse to support the OS at all, that'd be a problem (and worth a lawsuit).

Not worth a lawsuit at all, and the fact you even went there is ridiculous. There is no guarantee that software will support your hardware. If you consider that lawsuit-worthy, you better start suing all these different Linux distro groups that don't support X hardware or Y feature or sue games publishers because Crysis 3 won't run on your Pentium 4.

Microsoft is playing hardball here, but I don't blame them. If they really want to make a difference, drop Win32 support.

You do realize the scenario in question is H/W that's been supported since last summer, right? So no, it's not at all like the scenario you're describing.

And the priory for most people is being able to do things with their PC, not controlling every detail of it.

I want an OS that asks me permission to switch between tasks. I want it to ask me how many threads I'll allow on any individual program. Before it writes a bit to the HD, I want it to ask me if it's OK and where on teh HD it can write it.

I think this is what 99.9999% of computers users want ;)

Must you always incessantly appear in every random thread that has even a distant relationship to Microsoft? You are the person the "Something is WRONG on the internet!" comic is talking about.

And for the record, dropping Win32 is the biggest security fix Microsoft can ship.

Said someone who clearly doesn't work in IT. We have vertical apps that are 10-15 years old. They are not compiled for x64 and who knows when they will be. So Heatless is correct. The fact is there are many apps that still default to x32.

Hell, Firefox just began offering x64 late last year (was it last month?).

So yeah, I think Heatless is right.

Said someone who clearly doesn't work in IT.

LMFAO. I work in healthcare IT. You want to talk about zombie software, hardware, OSes, and the management that allow them to linger on? I'm living it. Nice try, though.

What you clearly do not understand is the point I'm making: if Microsoft is so intent on creating a new Windows software environment—universal apps, "not-Metro so please don't sue us" UI, mobile convergence, etc—then they cannot Krazy Glue this together with legacy Win32 and expect it to work. Look at their repeated attempts to fix DPI scaling and how their efforts get kneecapped by random Win32 apps. Therefore, make a clean break, the way Apple did between OS 9 and OS X.

Plan it out, let everyone know, phase it in, even maintain a separate Windows Legacy OS track for a while if needed (much like how Apple maintained PPC and x86 versions of OS X internally for years.)

It's untenable in the medium and long term to keep Win32 around and allow it to continue to fuck with consumer and enterprise level computing. The shift to cloud services will make this easier. It needs to happen. It's eventually going to happen.

Hell, Firefox just began offering x64 late last year (was it last month?).

Firefox has offered 64-bit builds for years, and the 32 bit builds, like most other 32 bit software, works fine on 64-bit OSes. Bad, uninformed example.

You do realize the scenario in question is H/W that's been supported since last summer, right? So no, it's not at all like the scenario you're describing.

Same scenario, different time frame to illustrate the fact that it is the same scenario.

If you can't run Windows 7 on newer hardware, I predict a lot of companies will be holding onto their older hardware for a very long time.

I just got ride of the last of our P4's (single core 2.4 Ghz). The department runs a very old app that was written for Windows 2000. Had to jump through some hoops to make it run under Windows 7, and of course there is no support.

It will NOT run under Windows 10 (or even Windows 8) so these machines will remain on Windows 7 until they switch software, or the department shuts down. The department is only about 1/2 the size it was 8 years ago, so it's a toss up on which will happen.

On Windows, WMC is my killer app.
Microsoft killed WMC in Windows 10. Absolutely insuring that I wouldn't "upgrade".
Now they are making sure I don't upgrade to new Hardware as well.
They really seem to be working hard at holding back PC upgrades.

I have a HTPC running WMC and a 4 tuner with a cable card and Windows 7. Works great as a DVR with the 4TB drive I have set aside for recording.

Microsoft's killing of WMC in Windows 10 means that this machine will never be upgraded.
As long as the cable company continues to support a cable card, and I can still get the program guide updated, I see no reason to upgrade my HTPC.

Hopefully I'll be able to use it until everything is available through streaming for a reasonable price and I can just switch to a Roku type box.

I use a great deal of Windows based tech, more than most even in a place like this. .......

I'm not sure having wet dreams about Satya Nayadumidom counts as "more than most"... but if it makes you feel better... :p

But Windows 7 isn't fully forwards compatible with Skylake. In particular, Intel has done a lot of work on power efficiency such as new sleep states and speed shift. Even the 10240 build on Windows 10 didn't fully support Skylake as it was missing support for speed shift.

Are there any self respecting H users who would give any priority to power efficiency? I certainly don't give a shit if my CPU saves a few watts here and there. My next CPU won't be Skylake anyway. Probably Broadwell-e

Are there any self respecting H users who would give any priority to power efficiency? I certainly don't give a shit if my CPU saves a few watts here and there. My next CPU won't be Skylake anyway. Probably Broadwell-e

Still probably need windows 10 to get all the features of broadwell. But hey if you want yiu can also install linux on the broadwell cpu and play 3700 steam games.

All we can hope is that in 1.5 years Microsoft will have pulled their heads out of their asses and made 10 better than the beta, privacy shitshow as it exists today.

Right here. I want the power when I need it, but otherwise, I want that sucker using as little as possible Same with my GPU. Efficient = less heat = less AC.

If I was going to benefit by running a less efficient CPU, I'd probably do it, but I wont, so why not save some money and keep my computer room cooler?

I like good efficiency but a Watt here or there doesnt get my attention.
It certainly wont make me compromise any principles.

I like good efficiency but a Watt here or there doesnt get my attention.
It certainly wont make me compromise any principles.

This is how I see it. Using two 2011 chips here the energy usage is high, but I find nvidia/intel products a little better because on the AMD side it seems like they go by a philosophy of "We can perform just as good, just ignore we use twice the power to get there".

I like the fact that my 850watt psu has absolutely no problem problem running an 970 sli system with an aggressively overclocked intel chip and still be well within threshold.

I care, I think low power technologies are cool :eek: My whole house is currently LED lit and I've taken power usage into account for every appliance I've purchased.

I use a great deal of Windows based tech, more than most even in a place like this. Dropping Win32 support would render almost all of it useless. I'm simply pointing out the obvious that would have detrimental effect to countless millions at this time.
I don't think dropping 32-bit support in the OS is the point. I think dropping "Windows 10 Professional 32-bit" is the point. 64-bit Windows has become "the standard" and has been so since somewhere between Vista and Win7 when WalMart had most of their $299 junk desktops with 64-bit Windows.

While I'm sure there's plenty of edge cases where "oh my god I have to have 32-bit Windows for my very specific and highly vertical legacy application" that need is probably better suited for a special Enterprise 32-bit spin. MS doesn't need to offer 32-bit Windows to EVERY person who wants to download the ISO or the media tool from the website.

Of course, eventually Intel will stop supporting Windows 7 in their newest chipset drivers, AFAIK their latest set does not support any Windows OS before 7. But I would expect that they will continue with drivers for 7 as long as there is sufficient demand. Same with other device drivers from ASUS, et al.

The problem that I run into much more commonly are people wanting support for ancient devices on more modern operating systems when they were originally produced for Windows 95/98.

Home users that need to rely on MS support for other than key support on the automated phone line are not going to benefit anyway, that's what Internet forums are for! ;)

I don't think dropping 32-bit support in the OS is the point. I think dropping "Windows 10 Professional 32-bit" is the point. 64-bit Windows has become "the standard" and has been so since somewhere between Vista and Win7 when WalMart had most of their $299 junk desktops with 64-bit Windows.

While I'm sure there's plenty of edge cases where "oh my god I have to have 32-bit Windows for my very specific and highly vertical legacy application" that need is probably better suited for a special Enterprise 32-bit spin. MS doesn't need to offer 32-bit Windows to EVERY person who wants to download the ISO or the media tool from the website.

OK, that makes much more sense than dropping Win32. I agree on dropping x32 Windows. I haven't run x32 since XP which I dropped in late 2007/early 2008. At work I moved to 7 x64 in early 2011 and I never had an issue with any x32 apps

OK, that makes much more sense than dropping Win32. I agree on dropping x32 Windows. I haven't run x32 since XP which I dropped in late 2007/early 2008. At work I moved to 7 x64 in early 2011 and I never had an issue with any x32 apps

I thought by Win32 support he was referring to Windows desktop support, not just support for 32 bit Windows. Maybe I was mistaken because it would make zero sense for Microsoft to drop support for a market that it dominates and for which so much 3rd party support exists.

There are still a considerable about of 32 bit devices out there and a growing number of cheap Windows tablets that just don't have the resources to handle 64 bit Windows, that does have a higher hardware requirement than 32 bit Windows.

32 bit will go away in time but that's still probably years away.

I thought by Win32 support he was referring to Windows desktop support, not just support for 32 bit Windows. Maybe I was mistaken because it would make zero sense for Microsoft to drop support for a market that it dominates and for which so much 3rd party support exists.

There are still a considerable about of 32 bit devices out there and a growing number of cheap Windows tablets that just don't have the resources to handle 64 bit Windows, that does have a higher hardware requirement than 32 bit Windows.

32 bit will go away in time but that's still probably years away.

It also seems like the Win32 API is used for x64 programs. I'm not a windows programmer, so I assumed they had a separate API for x64, but apparently they do not.

I hope I'm wrong, but I read "support" as Windows Updates. For home users that may not be a big deal, but for corporate use that is a very big deal. No Windows Updates in a corporate environment is a huge problem. The article doesn't make it real clear, but...

Yes, Windows 7 (currently in the Extended support phase) will continue to receive updates until January 14, 2020, and Windows 8.1 will be supported until January 10, 2023. But in a series of "clarifications" to its support policy today, the company announced that support for those older Windows versions will be available only for "previous generations of silicon."

MS will always make exceptions for the business side of the house. Like how you can turn off all the telemetry BS on the Enterprise versions.

I really don't care, so long as they don't push some update out to Win 8.1 or lower, causing it to stop functioning with newer processors. Really don't give a damn if I get Windows updates or not.

Back