Microsoft Meltdown/Spectre Patch May Bork Athlon Systems

um... maybe upgrade your computer?

i miss 2007 too but come on 11 year old hardware.

excuse me.

My HTPC running Kodi is on my old socket 939 Opteron 170 and 4GB of DDR500 memory and with a low power radeon plays everything back.

Why should I upgrade it when its still capable?

Reactions: p3sty
like this
I'm 99% positive the patch borked my ASUS AI Suite II. Did a complete uninstall and reinstall and still bombs on startup.

Is that Microsoft or Asus's fault. It's not like the Asus software engineers are known to be well awesome...

I just looked at an article online written March 1, 2016 that talked about AMD announcing the Athlon x4 880k. It hasn't even been 2 years since it's release. While I know they may not be manufacturing the chips any more, I don't think it should be considered obsolete at this point. AMD supported old video cards in their drivers well past a 2 year period.

I use hardware past what most people around here do. I'm not a person who buys a $500 cpu or $600 gpu to use for 3 weeks and then turn around and sell it on here for a loss; I've never understood that. I just stopped using a 955BE in December 2016, and only then "upgraded" to a slightly less old FX-8150 because someone sold it to me at what I considered a good price.

I did break down this year and build my son an entirely new Ryzen 1700 system. Before that he was using an A8-7600. He had always gotten my hand-me-downs before. Now his system is better than mine.

that's a dead socket on a dead platform with a dead end.

it EOL.

am4 is now.

As recently as 2010 I still had a slowly dying Dell Optiplex GX240 as a work machine.

That company sucked.

lol you would be surprised with a SSD and nothing else running on the machine but kodi and storage drives.

You know, your right, I will let your mobile device carrier know to brick your devices because they are what I consider obsolete. I mean, did you really think that just because you spent money on something you are entitled to it or ... lol ... actually own it?

Isn't it bad enough that we can't even control what patches are being automatically applied by an OS that was, in many cases, forced onto us for hardware we own; but now we are going to have individuals like you arbitrarily determine what is and is not EOL? I've got news for you, you are surrounded by things far older that 10 years old that are still doing their jobs just fine that you are likely unknowingly benefiting from.

This should be a sticky.

track_12-_sheer_perfection.gif

Because those are paying customers, and Microsoft actually said they would support them. Why is this an issue for you? I guarantee it affects you in no way whatever is Microsoft supports them.
Paying for what? You can get Windows10 to boot on a Pentium 4, that doesnt mean microsoft is obligated to support that because it happens to execute.

You know, your right, I will let your mobile device carrier know to brick your devices because they are what I consider obsolete. I mean, did you really think that just because you spent money on something you are entitled to it or ... lol ... actually own it?

Isn't it bad enough that we can't even control what patches are being automatically applied by an OS that was, in many cases, forced onto us for hardware we own; but now we are going to have individuals like you arbitrarily determine what is and is not EOL? I've got news for you, you are surrounded by things far older that 10 years old that are still doing their jobs just fine that you are likely unknowingly benefiting from.
Yeah there might be things that still "work" just fine, that doesnt mean anyone is supporting them. Consider it a warranty. Should Toyota continue to repair and provide parts for your 1981 Camry? Just because it still works doesnt mean anybody is working on it. Spending money on something doesnt entitle you to a 100% working product in perpetuity. Your system has expired, deal with it.

Your analogy is bullshit.

Your cellphone maker is the one responsible for updates and the like.

And if it's Android yeah they give up faster on updates than Microsoft would.

The carrier is your isp.

False equivalency noted.

Good. I hope the purposefully end support for these older processors. I'm tired of a game being released that supports newer instruction sets and then all the salty K7 and K8 owners cry to the developer that they can't play that brand new game on their 11-15 year-old CPU. The same people that will spend $400 every couple of years on a new video card can't find another $400 to upgrade their platform every 5 years or so.

Why should Microsoft have to cater to the lowest common denominator? Fuck those systems, just because it runs doesnt mean it is entitled to remain compatible with modern software. System is EOL, time to upgrade, or dont patch it anymore.

Wow. What if this is a hand me down to some kid, or all a family can afford? What if these are in a school? Are you *you* going to pay for the upgrades? Seriously, tell us how you *really* feel about poorer people... This isn't about new software, this is about systems that were running fine with the software they had being broken by the OS, without warning or good reason. Even if you do think there's a cutoff, this is a pretty shitty way to do this.

Wow. What if this is a hand me down to some kid, or all a family can afford? What if these are in a school? Are you *you* going to pay for the upgrades? Seriously, tell us how you *really* feel about poorer people... This isn't about new software, this is about systems that were running fine with the software they had being broken by the OS, without warning or good reason. Even if you do think there's a cutoff, this is a pretty shitty way to do this.

>>What if this is a hand me down to some kid, or all a family can afford?

Too bad, so sad. Then don't update it.

>>What if these are in a school? Are you *you* going to pay for the upgrades?

Too bad, so sad. And no. If upgrades are a problem, then no upgrades.

>>Seriously, tell us how you *really* feel about poorer people...

Poor people should be constantly finding ways to improve their situation.
They should feel lucky and very thankful when they are given help and not expect help.

This isn't about new software, this is about systems that were running fine with the software they had being broken by the OS, without warning or good reason.
My Win95 pc was running fine until that darned Microsoft had to go and release WindowsXP. Who's going to pay for my upgrade?

Your analogy is bullshit.

Your cellphone maker is the one responsible for updates and the like.

And if it's Android yeah they give up faster on updates than Microsoft would.

The carrier is your isp.

False equivalency noted.
That's your opinion. I determined your devices are EOL, so who cares what you think. No one should have to support EOL devices that I deemed EOL, no one.

And when you find that statement childish, reread the statement made I replied to and facepalm yourself.

Yeah there might be things that still "work" just fine, that doesnt mean anyone is supporting them. Consider it a warranty. Should Toyota continue to repair and provide parts for your 1981 Camry? Just because it still works doesnt mean anybody is working on it. Spending money on something doesnt entitle you to a 100% working product in perpetuity. Your system has expired, deal with it.
Toyota didn't sneak into my garage at 12am and swap the drive train of my vehicle with a new one that forces future auto updates onto me without me making it so my vehicle can't ever be repaired or serviced again for any reason.
Toyota then didn't also sneak into my garage later steal my tires and put it on cinder blocks to make it unusable as transportation anymore either.

MS gets to determine what their OS is officially compatible with at release and also get to do so with each service pack as well. If you are on that list, you get updates that don't brick you system ... period.

Toyota didn't sneak into my garage at 12am and swap the drive train of my vehicle with a new one that forces future auto updates onto me without me making it so my vehicle can't ever be repaired or serviced again for any reason.
Toyota then didn't also sneak into my garage later steal my tires and put it on cinder blocks to make it unusable as transportation anymore either.

MS gets to determine what their OS is officially compatible with at release and also get to do so with each service pack as well. If you are on that list, you get updates that don't brick you system ... period.
You had auto updates enabled. You invited whatever changes Microsoft wanted to make be installed on your system. No different than leaving your garage door open with a sign that says "fix me" for Toyota to do whatever they want. When you bought your license of Windows it was for that version of Windows at that time, we'll say version 1.0. You are not entitled to run version 1.1 and should be grateful they gave you these patches for free up until now. Dont like it? Go back to version 1.0 and make sure you dont download 1.1.

You had auto updates enabled. You invited whatever changes Microsoft wanted to make be installed on your system. No different than leaving your garage door open with a sign that says "fix me" for Toyota to do whatever they want. When you bought your license of Windows it was for that version of Windows at that time, we'll say version 1.0. You are not entitled to run version 1.1 and should be grateful they gave you these patches for free up until now. Dont like it? Go back to version 1.0 and make sure you dont download 1.1.
You don't seem very knowledgeable on this issue.
Microsoft does a compatibility check on OS upgrades as well as on service pack upgrades. If it installs during this, it is supported. There have been plenty of CPUs and hardware that is not supported that they will not install on. Its on MS to do this checks, especially since they are often FORCING updates.
Microsoft was, in many cases, forcing upgrading to windows 10 from previous versions of windows regardless of the intent of the computer owners. So combined with the above, if you got a surprise windows 10 installation then you are officially supported hardware. Which means you don't get to brick that hardware.

You don't seem very knowledgeable on this issue.
Microsoft does a compatibility check on OS upgrades as well as on service pack upgrades. If it installs during this, it is supported. There have been plenty of CPUs and hardware that is not supported that they will not install on. Its on MS to do this checks, especially since they are often FORCING updates.
Microsoft was, in many cases, forcing upgrading to windows 10 from previous versions of windows regardless of the intent of the computer owners. So combined with the above, if you got a surprise windows 10 installation then you are officially supported hardware. Which means you don't get to brick that hardware.
Microsoft has never forced an OS upgrade on any system. If you dont like the nagware disable automatic updates. The compatibility checks microsoft issues are not certification that the OS will always run on that hardware. Microsoft is under no obligation to support every system thant their OS happens to run on. Like I said you can install Win10 on a Pentium4 pc. In fact there are install challenges to see just how old of a system you can install windows on for the hell of it. I think someone got Win7 to install on a 386 once. Took a week to complete the install and about 8 hours to boot to desktop, device manager was a mess but you had a working desktop.

That's your opinion. I determined your devices are EOL, so who cares what you think. No one should have to support EOL devices that I deemed EOL, no one.

And when you find that statement childish, reread the statement made I replied to and facepalm yourself.

no it's a god damn fact that your carrier does not supply software updates to your phone.

it's the phone manufacturer who does.

so take your old busted ass pc back to who made them and tell them to support it.

are you still upset apple won't support your iphone 2?

Why should Microsoft have to cater to the lowest common denominator? Fuck those systems, just because it runs doesnt mean it is entitled to remain compatible with modern software. System is EOL, time to upgrade, or dont patch it anymore.

Spoiled much?

If it runs well on older hardware, it will run great on everything else. More people should cater to the lowest common denominator. It's called efficiency which no one seems to care about anymore. I can hardly use a browser these days on my 2009 atom netbook without lagging while I'm typing. How embarrassing that we can't program worth a damn. I'm a programmer, and I try to write my apps so that they will work on my netbook running XP. If they work reasonably well on my atom, they're going to run superbly on any machine!

I'm not shelling out any money when I can still get by with what I have. Your entitled opinion is flawed and only leads to bloated programs, too much electronic waste, and poor long-term planning.

I don't want to spoil everybody's pissing match, so I'll just leave this here and move on...

There's a few different issues - and how 'good' or 'efficient' a product may or may not be (particularly compared with comparable products) is completely irrelevant.

Just because a product doesn't have an upgrade path, this does not make said product EOL.
There is a difference between End-of-Life, End-of-Production, and End-of-Sale.
Just because a product has no upgrade path, this in no way removes a Vendor's obligation to provide support and warranty to the product, purchased during the product's sales period.

Athlon processors are currently in-production, fully qualified for use running Windows 10 as Operating System, supported by both the hardware vendor and Operating System vendor.

You may now resume you're regularly scheduled programming.

Last edited:
Spoiled much?

If it runs well on older hardware, it will run great on everything else. More people should cater to the lowest common denominator. It's called efficiency which no one seems to care about anymore. I can hardly use a browser these days on my 2009 atom netbook without lagging while I'm typing. How embarrassing that we can't program worth a damn. I'm a programmer, and I try to write my apps so that they will work on my netbook running XP. If they work reasonably well on my atom, they're going to run superbly on any machine!

I'm not shelling out any money when I can still get by with what I have. Your entitled opinion is flawed and only leads to bloated programs, too much electronic waste, and poor long-term planning.
How am I the one who's spoiled when it's you guys who demand every piece of software ever written be compatible with your Casio calculator? How am I the one who is entitled when I recognize it's time to upgrade and you feel you shouldnt have to? While you are busy wasting time and resources optimizing for a platform that will show no results you could have been beating target release dates and coming up with new ideas.

I find the raw hostility here towards people who own old hardware using software that claims to support it fascinating. Some of these posts read like Athlon owners killed their dog.

Back