Microsoft May Unveil Last Lumia Phone In February

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Bad news for Lumia and Windows Phone fans—or is it? If certain rumors are to be believed, Microsoft may merely be transitioning to something greater.

For months now, rumors have talked about both a Lumia 750 and a Lumia 850, while others have suggested neither device will see the light of day. This speculation is nicely coupled with hints that Microsoft may be transitioning its mobile device oversight to the Surface team.

Windows Phone life cycle:

See issues with market share -> decide to change everything with new platform -> kill proper support for existing users -> tell everyone things will be better this time -> release new platform -> see issues with market share -> repeat until all customers are gone

I seem to recall them only having a limited time to use the 'Lumia' branding due to the terms of the deal with Nokia. That being the case perhaps they feel its better to start putting all their resources into the already popular 'Surface' branding.

Sounds like Microsoft is continuing the same stupid tactic of constantly renaming products that don't sell. It didn't work with Zune Music, Microsofot Music, Xbox Music, Music or Groove Music did it?

Sounds like Microsoft is continuing the same stupid tactic of constantly renaming products that don't sell. It didn't work with Zune Music, Microsofot Music, Xbox Music, Music or Groove Music did it?

I think most people are thinking that Microsoft is going to have a Surface branded phone, possibly x86 based. Microsoft has established a pretty good brand with the Surface line. While a Surface phone may not be successful, I don't think many would consider the branding a bad idea.

Everyone is waiting for a Surface Phone so make it happen but don't rush it until it's ready.

Who is everyone? I've never seen anyone even using a Windows Phone IRL.

I assume the point is that if you have an x86 phone running windows, then you have a phone that can run windows apps, which may make it more desirable. I'm not sure how you'd run desktop apps on a phone, but I'm happy with my iPhone for now (but open to Win Phone down the line).

I assume the point is that if you have an x86 phone running windows, then you have a phone that can run windows apps, which may make it more desirable. I'm not sure how you'd run desktop apps on a phone, but I'm happy with my iPhone for now (but open to Win Phone down the line).

The fantasy in a tech geek forum is the mythical x86 phone running x86 Windows programs. But the reality is mass phone buying consumers would not care, while ARM processors get ever more powerful.

MS should drop the Windows branding from any future mobile efforts entirely, just call it Surface Phone or whatever. But I am not convinced MS actually cares about success in mobile since efforts have always been unimaginative and halfassed

Seems like the 950XL is only available as an unlocked device with the 950 only being available at AT&T. Microsoft really doesn't seem to take this seriously. The 650 doesn't look like it will be the answer, they don't seem to have an available flagship device through a carrier which is upsetting especially when trying to find something in Microsoft's ecosystem.

Everyone is waiting for a Surface Phone so make it happen but don't rush it until it's ready.

I think everyone is mostly happy with the phone OS they currently use. I don't think anyone I know has bought a phone that didn't run the same OS as their last one in about 5 years.

sad thing is, WP8/10 is a really good platform. After having android for so long, I don't ever want to go back to it after have a windows phone.

Back