Microsoft loves 360 owners

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, is Microsoft is hosting and advertising the DLC for them, then some sort of payment is in order. I also think this sets a good precedent to avoid abuse by developers and publishers. What's to stop a company from releasing an unfinished product and then filling it in with free DLC over months? By forcing a payment, MS is forcing developers to get their product as complete as possible and have DLC be only substantial updates to the game.

I don't see a big problem with it, then again, I don't play TF2.

As a fan of TF2 in general, I'm glad that 360 owners will have the chance to play the game with not only the new content, but the plethora of bug/glitch/cheat/etc... fixes that they've added. It'll be like a whole new game.

Too bad they have to pay for it. It's pointless to laugh in their faces, this is actually what Valve should have done on the PC side. I'm not talking about charging for the update but releasing the new content in a large chunk so that servers don't get clogged with people playing the same class.

Well, is Microsoft is hosting and advertising the DLC for them, then some sort of payment is in order. I also think this sets a good precedent to avoid abuse by developers and publishers. What's to stop a company from releasing an unfinished product and then filling it in with free DLC over months? By forcing a payment, MS is forcing developers to get their product as complete as possible and have DLC be only substantial updates to the game.

I don't see a big problem with it, then again, I don't play TF2.

So first people pay for xbox live, then they buy a game, then they pay microsoft to download updates for the game. Sorry, but I think paying for a subscription to live should be enough to allow you to download any update.

What's to stop a company from releasing an unfinished product and then filling it in with free DLC over months?

I think most people would consider a stream of DLC to be a benefit over not having it. Its part of MS's role to prevent companies from putting out unfinished games on the system. Take a look at Warhawk on the PS3, its gone through a series of significant changes since launch that change game play a lot. This was all packed into the recent 1.4 update which was completely free:

New Gameplay Mode “Hero”

This is a team-based game mode in which one member of each team is randomly selected to be their team’s Epic Hero. Players score points for their team by killing the enemy Hero or by killing enemies while they’re the Hero. The team that reaches the score limit first (or has the most points when time runs out) wins the game.

New Gameplay Mode “Collection”

This new gameplay mode is like multi-flag CTF. There are 4 energy cores scattered around the map, generally positioned in the center or between the 2 team’s main bases. Each team has a Reactor where Energy Cores are taken to score points.

Quick-Join:

While we were glad to provide players with very specific control of which games they join or host via our global server list, we wanted to provide an easier way for new and veteran players to get into their favorite games more quickly and easily….thus the new ‘Quick-Join’ feature.

Mini-Map Update:

For game modes like CTF, and the newly added Collection mode, we really need to clarify where you need to take the flag or core – we had received complaints that players could get confused as to where they needed to go. Warhawk now draws a much more prominent ring at the location where you need to return the flag or core. Additionally, the mini-map renders an animated green line that connects your ‘blip’ to the return location.

Rank & Award Updates:

Now we know this is a sensitive subject as it relates to how easy, or in our case, how hard it is to rank up, unlock some of the badges and be awarded any of the elite medals. With that said, we have made some changes to make ranking up a bit easier.

TOW Missile:

The respawn rate modifier based on player count has been modified to take a longer period of time so that TOW missiles do not respawn as quickly in large player-count games.

Minimum Rank Server Option:

Warhawk official and player-hosted servers now support a MINIMUM rank along with the previously existing MAX rank.

Respawn Selection Hint:

I know it may sound odd to some of you avid Warhawk players but we actually noticed that there were a number of new players that didn’t realize that you could select a different spawn point when you died. This is primarily for new Warhawk players and this respawn hint is disabled if you have “Hints Display” turned OFF in your options.

Updates for Home Game Launching:

Now players that are launching/connecting to Warhawk games from Home can designate which team they will be assigned to before the server is started. Warhawk’s Support of Home Game Launching now also supports the new Hero and Collection gameplay modes.

Afterburner Flight to Hover Transition:

Previously, if you were flying the Warhawk (or Nemesis) with the afterburners engaged, you were disallowed from transitioning into hover mode. While this may have been a bit more realistic, Warhawk is more about fun than realism and not being able to transition into hover when you want to need to is frustrating! So now, you can switch to hover mode even if your afterburner is engaged.

Team Deathmatch Scoring:

The scoring system for Team Deathmatch previously counted base captures towards the team kill count/score. This is no longer the case and now *only* counts kills…as you would expect Team Deathmatch to do.

New “Winning Team” Ribbon:

In an attempt to further promote teamwork, Warhawk now awards a new ribbon to every member of the winning team. With this “Winning Team” ribbon, each player also is awarded an additional 50 bonus points.

Kick-Idle Player Server Option:

Warhawk now allows players to set an option on their own servers (player or dedicated) that will auto-kick idle players. Warhawk also now detects players purposely not respawning via the respawn exploit and will consider them idle as well.

...and coming out next week is the 1.5 update which will have:

* Custom In-Game Music
* XMB Trophies
* Training Tutorials
* Retract Clan Invites
* New Paint Schemes & Insignias
* GGL Ceremonial Blades
* “Rookie” Server Color-Coding

well, it is what it is, consumers have a choice to download and buy it or not, if MS customers are so put off by it they wont buy it, this would force MS to change their policy because undoubtedley it would cause friction between Valve and MS if Valve's material was not selling.....so i say fine....free market and all that....if it's worth it people will pay for it, if not they wont

i am guessing the OP is an anti-360 person who is intentionally posting flamebait....and if he doesnt own one he doesnt have to make the choice, so his opinion is tainted

i am guessing the OP is an anti-360 person who is intentionally posting flamebait....and if he doesnt own one he doesnt have to make the choice, so his opinion is tainted

When you have already paid for the game and xbox live I don't see what the $10 is going towards. Bandwidth? Shouldn't that come out the monthly payment for xbox live?

When you have already paid for the game and xbox live I don't see what the $10 is going towards. Bandwidth? Shouldn't that come out the monthly payment for xbox live?

It doesn't even make sense then, since the PC people are getting it for free, and there are no extra charges on Live that account for the fee. You're paying for your ISP either way, and on the PC side the manufacturer is paying for hosting the expansion, so Live isn't offering anything new. If Valve isn't going broke advertising their games with free downloads, then Microsoft isn't going broke advertising their platform with free updates.

Certainly this could be overcome by allowing a software vendor to connect to their own site to download additional material, but then again, you're cutting out MS that way and their own share of the fee(s).

Maybe this is just how MS is recouping their losses on the RROD fiasco. :)

the $10 pays for the content you either want and are willing to pay for or not.....i paid for a game and got what i paid for, the game, any critical fixes are free via Live, and yes, the hardware was not free, paid for that too, so where's the confusion? it doesn't matter if PC users get it for "free", i could care less, being a former hardcore PC only gamer now 360 only gamer as i got older....i have zero interest in any of the BS that comes along with PC gaming, so do i pay more to play? yes, am i okay with that? yes

why is it the PC gamers are so personally overwhelmed with negativity over this when it does not affect them at all? or could it be *GASP* that they are afraid the developers might actually start charging for content that does not get developed for free? omg, now way, you mean something for a PC that is not "free"? e-gad!

the novelty of "free" wore off on me a long time ago, nothing is free, Valve has costs associated with creating it, MS has costs associated with distributing it and marketing it....

You are not paying for the content and you have already paid for the bandwith by subscribing to xbox live. Valve did not want to charge for content, microsoft did, why? The answer I can find right now is greed. Also there is no BS playing TF2 on PC so I have no clue what you mean by that. I log into steam, start the game up, it updates automatically FOR FREE then I get to find a DEDICATED server MODERATED by admins.

You are not paying for the content and you have already paid for the bandwith by subscribing to xbox live. Valve did not want to charge for content, microsoft did, why? The answer I can find right now is greed. Also there is no BS playing TF2 on PC so I have no clue what you mean by that. I log into steam, start the game up, it updates automatically FOR FREE then I get to find a DEDICATED server MODERATED by admins.

if i want the content i have to pay $10....if i dont want the content i dont have to pay $10

pretty cut and dry to me, if i pay it i get it, if i dont i dont.....

by BS i mean everything that comes with a typical PC, at some point of another you are going to have to deal with a keyboard and mouse, windows updates, drivers, game updates, etc..etc...etc.....

with my 360 i turn it on and it works, no fuss, no driver updating, no patching, no BS...it works, i sit 20 feet away on my couch with my wireless controller in front of the big screen HDTV, friends when they come over can pick the 360 controller up right away and have a chance at having fun, and do it in comfort

trust me, been there done that, when i was single and had plenty of money to blow on constant PC upgrades and plenty of time to blow on maintaining a PC for gaming...sure...it was the better option

now i am grown with way too many other responsibilities, if i cant turn it on and it just work, i dont want it, and yes, i am willing to pay a little extra for that convenience, not to mention the last time i told a buddy about a cool game on my PC and then when he saw he had to deal with a mouse and keyboard...he lost all interest....and so did i....once the 360 came along and i realized how much easier it could be

what are we talking about here....$10? i make that in like 20 minutes at work.....so yeah, forgive me if i dont want to put up with all the BS that comes with PC gaming and just want to turn something on and have it work and get in the game quick and get out....as you can see, my time is worth something

the novelty of "free" wore off on me a long time ago, nothing is free, Valve has costs associated with creating it, MS has costs associated with distributing it and marketing it....

First up, Valve has no interest in charging for this content. MS charges for advertisements on XBox Live, and you pay for the distribution bandwidth with your $60/year XBL subscription. So not only do you pay to use XBox Live to play games on the service, MS then turns around and sells advertising space that you need to look at. Then they force you to pay for content that the game publishers want to release for free. This is not about the novelty of free, this is about MS milking their customers.

First up, Valve has no interest in charging for this content. MS charges for advertisements on XBox Live, and you pay for the distribution bandwidth with your $60/year XBL subscription. So not only do you pay to use XBox Live to play games on the service, MS then turns around and sells advertising space that you need to look at. Then they force you to pay for content that the game publishers want to release for free.

i dont care what Valve wants, it doesnt matter not one single iota now does it? what matters is what it costs to get it on Live, i still have a choice, i am not forced to buy it

the ads, i dont see them really, the 360 fires up and within seconds i have started a game or started a movie or music...so meh...sure, ads.....we have all gotten good at not seeing them

i pay $50 a year for Live Gold thanks

i am ok with everything you point out as a negative honestly

the wife and i just got through playing a few hands of texas holem poker on Live with other real people, we sat comfortably on the couch, wireless and all, chatting it up, laughing, having fun, and it takes oh....all of about 10 seconds to jump right into that......so yeah...i feel left out:rolleyes:

My PC has zero problems. Set it up once, turns on everyday just like your xbox. I bought a new processor and video card last winter and can play all the latest games. You haven't refuted any of my arguments, you just say you will pay $10 because you like the "convenience" of getting shafted.

My PC has zero problems. Set it up once, turns on everyday just like your xbox. I bought a new processor and video card last winter and can play all the latest games. You haven't refuted any of my arguments, you just say you will pay $10 because you like the "convenience" of getting shafted.

no, i like the convenience of turning it on and having my game going in much less time than you could on a PC, you dont have all the patching, software, updates, driver variables to potentially deal with, you dont have a mouse and keyboard to deal with, you dont have to worry about anything with a console, you turn it on and it works and with all of the creature comforts

i dont understand shafted....i am extremely pleased with what i get for what i pay, well worth it, just because you choose to deal with all the PC BS in order to save $10 here or there....well....i have listed many things that are more attractive about console gaming today in my above posts and you choose not to look at that

so go ahead, invite a few friends over to huddle around the PC for some not-so-fun fumbling with a keyboard and mouse while you all huddle around the (small in comparison) PC monitor

no thanks, if all i have to do is pay a measley $10 to get the same content and all the creature comforts?.....give me my comfort, you can have your PC

no, i like the convenience of turning it on and having my game going in much less time than you could on a PC, you dont have all the patching, software, updates, driver variables to potentially deal with, you dont have a mouse and keyboard to deal with, you dont have to worry about anything with a console, you turn it on and it works and with all of the creature comforts

i dont understand shafted....i am extremely pleased with what i get for what i pay, well worth it, just because you choose to deal with all the PC BS in order to save $10 here or there....well....i have listed many things that are more attractive about console gaming today in my above posts and you choose not to look at that

I don't have to install drivers every time I log onto a computer and as for patches, you do have them. This entire thread is about a patch for a 360 game. I love the keyboard and mouse for most games, it gives me better control than a joystick and more buttons in which to bind actions to, and if I need a controller all I have to do is plug in my 360 controller and it works, NO DRIVERS NEEDED (unless you are on XP). The hassle is in your head, I install new drivers for my vidya card every month or so. Not a hassle at all.

so go ahead, invite a few friends over to huddle around the PC for some not-so-fun fumbling with a keyboard and mouse while you all huddle around the (small in comparison) PC monitor

no thanks, if all i have to do is pay a measley $10 to get the same content and all the creature comforts?.....give me my comfort, you can have your PC

You're exaggerating to say the least. PC maintenance is not slave labor. I spend about 10 mins on it a week if that. Are you that pressed for time? Judging by your ability to reply to every other post in this thread, you are not.

You do know that you can use an HD LCD as a monitor right? I'm typing this on a 52' Aquos. Also a keyboard+mouse provides superior control for FPS and RTS games. For everything else I can just plug in a console controller. Can you use a kbm setup to play games on your 360? No, because MS wont enable support for it.

And lastly, please drop the whole "been there, done that" superiority complex that you so proudly flaunt. I had a 360 as well. Three of them for that matter. 2 of them got RRoD and I sold off the 3rd one. I wouldnt exactly call that worry free. Does this happen to everyone? No. But neither does this "PC BS" that you speak of.

Next time you argue, please get your facts straight instead of just being a console fanboy.

SHAFT!

That means XBOX360 players of TF2 are gonna probably have to buy 2 more packages after this one if Valve sticks to the 3 class block they used here.

you dont have a mouse and keyboard to deal with.

Thats funny because last time I checked the joystick is no where as good as a keyboard ad mouse, can you honestly say that you can aim better than a person on a mouse and keyboard? I mean if the best console player in the world played against the best pc player in the same game I think the precision on the mouse and keyboard would murder the controllers.

ok guys, you aren't going to concede that for the casual gamer with no desire to mess with everything that comes with a PC that the 360 is a great alternative, coupled with the fact that i dont give a rip if they want to charge me $10 for content i choose to buy or not.....means i am obviously talking to a bunch of PC gamers who will die clutching their keyboard and mouse so theres no reason to discuss it here further

What no $ in Micro$oft in the title? is it not the cool thing to do anymore?
:rolleyes:

you dont have a mouse and keyboard to deal with,

fumbling with a keyboard and mouse while you all huddle around the (small in comparison) PC monitor

If you're fumbling with a keyboard and mouse you probably shouldn't be on this forum. Those are the two most ubiquitous tools of our generation and are now more intuitive than say... a cellphone and text messaging. I'm not even sure what fumbling you speak of. I don't think I've ever messed with any keyboard settings in any game since DOS. On the mouse I may turn up sensitivity just like I would on an analog controller since I tend to use higher sensitivity than most people.

Also, HDTVs and monitors are interchangeable now. For instance my brother uses a 42" Aquos for his PC as his main monitor. Conversely my 24" has a higher resolution than a 1080p HDTV.

ok guys, you aren't going to concede that for the casual gamer with no desire to mess with everything that comes with a PC that the 360 is a great alternative, coupled with the fact that i dont give a rip if they want to charge me $10 for content i choose to buy or not.....means i am obviously talking to a bunch of PC gamers who will die clutching their keyboard and mouse so theres no reason to discuss it here further

And you aren't going to concede that you're being ripped off; Valve wants to give away this content that they planned from the very beginning was going to be free. Many people do buy games with the promise of guaranteed updates that are free; especially when the game is somewhat incomplete without them. The discussion is that you are just bending over and taking it from Microsoft for a very poor reason, yet you think this is about PC vs. console. It's about consumers and developers against Microsoft.

I am primarily a console gamer. I have a 360 and a PS3 (and I used to have a Wii). I probably own more games on each one than most console gamers own on just one. I won't however just sit around while the big companies try to nickel and dime me to death, especially for things that need not be charged at all.

How about this, you pay me $10 a day for me to pick out your socks and I'll guarantee that they match, since you don't mind paying for security and ease of use. It's only $10 right? How about we add a $10 convenience tax to your internet connection? Or $10 required tip for the guy who pumps your gas?

BTW, it's easier to update TF2 on Steam than on XBL in particular. Steam does it automatically without having to browse MS' shitty console interface or any in-game interface. It's only easier on XBL if you're actually shopping for multiple updates for multiple games.

the problem i see with this not being a free update is what happens when players decide they dont want to pay for the update and dont get it and then some players decide to pay for the update. you end up splitting the player base. not good.

LOL! Tell that to the millions of people who have gotten the RRoD. The 360 has to be the most unreliable piece of electronics this century.

QFT!

I'm on number 4 now. I would very much like to know about this 360 that you "turn it on and it works."

the problem i see with this not being a free update is what happens when players decide they dont want to pay for the update and dont get it and then some players decide to pay for the update. you end up splitting the player base. not good.

Man that is gonna suck.

That's what I'm thinking. Maybe after enough backlash MS will change the update to free? Or perhaps charge the ~$10 fee for the first month (when most will be buying it) then suddenly change it to free after that period. This way MS wins on both accounts.

All you keep saying is that you will pay for the convenience. So why is microsoft charging for this update when valve wanted it to be free... I'm waiting.

Microsoft wants to charge TF2 content? Fine. Valve should charge minimum amount of MS points possible (1 pt? 10 pt?). Or is Microsoft also forcing them to set a price also?

Microsoft wants to charge TF2 content? Fine. Valve should charge the a small amount of MS points (1 pt? 10 pt?). Or is Microsoft also forcing them to set a price also?

"Pricing has yet to be determined, though Lombardi explained that the company is hoping to sell the content for as low as it can, ideally around $10."

Sounds like MS is the one who determines the price.

If you're fumbling with a keyboard and mouse you probably shouldn't be on this forum. Those are the two most ubiquitous tools of our generation and are now more intuitive than say... a cellphone and text messaging. I'm not even sure what fumbling you speak of. I don't think I've ever messed with any keyboard settings in any game since DOS. On the mouse I may turn up sensitivity just like I would on an analog controller since I tend to use higher sensitivity than most people.

Also, HDTVs and monitors are interchangeable now. For instance my brother uses a 42" Aquos for his PC as his main monitor. Conversely my 24" has a higher resolution than a 1080p HDTV.

by fumbling i am talking about most of the friends i would have over, i am 32, my friends did not come up at 12 with a unlimited cellphone plan and texting instead of calling, playing games was done on a Nintendo or Playstation with a controller, not a keyboard and mouse, unless you were a geek like me, and do you know how many of my friends when i was young actually played games on the PC? oh, about one....so you need to consider that fumbling to one is second hand to another and realize everybody on these forums isn't willing to "fumble" with a mouse and keyboard, or how about the fact that although i have no problem with a mouse and keyboard that i would rather not invite friends to huddle around the PC and watch then fumble with a KB&M....you seem to conviently ignore the fact that 90% of "gamers" today are not on PC's...they are on 360's, if i invite friends over and toss a wireless 360 remote to them they already have the controller down, they just have to learn the game, but if i were to ask them to try a game on my PC, they would say no thanks.....because of the M&KB...

as far as TV's go, sure, you can get one like that, but again, very few people i know even have HDTV's, let alone a higher end newer one with all the capability of using it as a minitor....lets see....two people i know have TV's that will do that, one could give a shit less about video games, the other does use his as a monitor but for playing movies on the big screen, not for gaming

PC users tend to generalize things that are second hand to PC users....like the M&KB thing...as if everybody that is into games or texting should be able to jump right into a video game they have always played with a console remote on the TV on a PC monitor with a KB&M.....this is fantasy, not real life, but this is also the altered reality of PC gamers many times

And you aren't going to concede that you're being ripped off; Valve wants to give away this content that they planned from the very beginning was going to be free. Many people do buy games with the promise of guaranteed updates that are free; especially when the game is somewhat incomplete without them. The discussion is that you are just bending over and taking it from Microsoft for a very poor reason, yet you think this is about PC vs. console. It's about consumers and developers against Microsoft.

I am primarily a console gamer. I have a 360 and a PS3 (and I used to have a Wii). I probably own more games on each one than most console gamers own on just one. I won't however just sit around while the big companies try to nickel and dime me to death, especially for things that need not be charged at all.

How about this, you pay me $10 a day for me to pick out your socks and I'll guarantee that they match, since you don't mind paying for security and ease of use. It's only $10 right? How about we add a $10 convenience tax to your internet connection? Or $10 required tip for the guy who pumps your gas?

BTW, it's easier to update TF2 on Steam than on XBL in particular. Steam does it automatically without having to browse MS' shitty console interface or any in-game interface. It's only easier on XBL if you're actually shopping for multiple updates for multiple games.

all i can say is i am not getting ripped off because i still have the choice to buy it or not, if i think its worth $10 i will pay, if not i wont, pretty simple, either way i wont feel ripped off if i make the decision, it was mine to make, i give a crap why it is being charged, i just paid $3 roughly to download three songs for GH3 over live that I already own on CD....was i ripped off? no, because i liked the songs in the pack and wanted to be able to play them, so i made the choice to buy them and dont regret it, if i downloaded them and it was something other than what was promised then yeah, i would feel ripped off

the way you talk i should feel ripped off because some people download a copy of Crysis when i purchased it, they got it for free and i did not, so i should feel ripped off...but i dont, and yeah, you're gonna say the developer never meant for it to be free and all that.....i dont care, it happens, i do whats right, i pay to play, and i sleep very well at night and enjoy my time gaming thanks

and btw, it's $10 once for the pack, not $10 a day, not sure how $10 a day is relevant

LOL! Tell that to the millions of people who have gotten the RRoD. The 360 has to be the most unreliable piece of electronics this century.

i got it on my launch console 14 months later, got a new console in exchange with the new heatsink design and all inside and havent had one single problem since

All you keep saying is that you will pay for the convenience. So why is microsoft charging for this update when valve wanted it to be free... I'm waiting.

i dont care what Valve wanted, it does not matter, if i want it i pay, if not i dont, why can you not live with that?

"Pricing has yet to be determined, though Lombardi explained that the company is hoping to sell the content for as low as it can, ideally around $10."

Sounds like MS is the one who determines the price.

$10 gets you like 800 MS points, they are sold 500, 1000, etc.....at least the way i buy them, through the dashboard on the console, i dont buy the cards in the stores

so they are going to probably charge either 500 or 1000 points for it which would be $6-$12

i dont care what Valve wanted, it does not matter, if i want it i pay, if not i dont, why can you not live with that?

This thread wasn't about what you wanted to pay for content. This thread is about splitting up the entire 360 TF2 community for $10 and charging for content that the developer did not want to charge.

For some reason you see having a PC is a big hassle, but others see the 360 as a big hassle when they are RMA 3 or more. You see the keyboard and mouse as some kind of huge hindrance on you. I personally love the control and the amount of buttons the keyboard and mouse gives me and if I need a controller I have one right next to me that works without installing drivers mind you. Yes, going to over my friends house and playing some 360 is always fun, but that is maybe once every 2 weeks. The rest of the time I can hunch over my desk staring at my computer screen talking on ventrilo and playing games with them still.

The computer has more options for features, control, and playability than the 360 will ever have. It's your money, not mine and I honestly never said I give a crap about what you do. If you want to throw your money at anyone who asks you for it, be my guest.

my, what a lively discussion. but hey, its a lively subject.

i think its cool you don't care about paying for updates, i can live with that. its just that most people do care, and they are really just speaking for themselves. i think its right they should. imagine microsoft charges you for windows update...

we pay for a product, we expect it be complete and to function as it is intended. but most consumer products we buy often is not complete, and sometimes do not function as intended. hence there are updates for software, and recalls for other consumer products. i wouldn't want to pay honda for the recall to fix a known flaw. would you? i wouldn't want to pay microsoft to update windows. would you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back