Microsoft Looking to the Blockchain for Digital Identities

DooKey

[H]F Junkie
Microsoft is stepping into the brave new world of the blockchain and is contemplating using it for digital identities. The thought behind this is to increase privacy, security and control of identities. This also tags onto their partnership in the ID2020 initiative. However, it's Microsoft so I'll have to take all of this with a grain of salt, but it sounds good. Thanks cageymaru.

To achieve this vision, we believe it is essential for individuals to own and control all elements of their digital identity. Rather than grant broad consent to countless apps and services, and have their identity data spread across numerous providers, individuals need a secure encrypted digital hub where they can store their identity data and easily control access to it.

I want no part in having my computer tied to my actual identity online somewhere.

I will only ever use local user accounts only. Fuck this shit. If tying my Windows install to a Microsoft account becomes mandatory, I will just drop Windows all together. I already use it extremely infrequently.

Some sort of ubiquitous identity management is necessary (which isn't to say that all online activities should be traceable).

Not sure how I feel about Microsoft being involved, though. :p

I don't care for Bitcoin personally, but Microsoft needs to keep their filthy hands out of the cookie jar.

In fact, if Microsoft could just got their hands out of everything and fold, that would be great. We don't want all the TPS reports caused by your bugs, forced updates, and shitty UIs.

Seems like the same peril of using a password manager application. More secure on remote sites due to better quality of security, with the obvious drawback that the central repository is now an exceptionally valuable target. Tradeoffs all around, nothing is free in security.

I don't care what MS wants me to chain my block too, I hate all this distributed internet crap. Now my ID is going to be spread across the world wasting electricity and ready to be stolen (especially with quantum computers on the horizon)?

Reactions: MV75
like this
They just want all of your info in their own space instead of at everyone elses houses.

Back