Microsoft Launches Windows 7

Been running it for a while on all my machines courtasy of MSDNAA. Best OS ever!!! So much faster at everything, and its on some decently high-end hardware. Went from Vista Ultimate Business x64 to 7 Professional x64.

Just got my copy of Windows 7 Ultimate, from The New Efficiency thing in Lombard IL 2 days ago. I have not installed it yet but I can't wait to try it.

Nick

forgot to mention, i won't be installing it until my SAS drive shows up tomorrow

I have my "House Party" copy of 7 Ultimate (dammit, I missed the launch event that gave away another copy of 7 Ultimate; I didn't notice the event was happening in my town until literally the exact time it was ending.)

I have the Newegg half-price copies I ordered in March on their way. (One Professional, one Home Premium.)

And I just finished downloading a copy of Professional purchased through MS's "Win741" (http://www.winXXXXXXXX/) promotion.

Ultimate is on my gaming rig, One copy of Professional is going on my son's machine, another on my notebook, and Home Premium on my netbook.

I'm still annoyed that upgrading from Vista Ultimate to 7 Ultimate removed my Texas Hold 'Em and Tinker... I can understand Dreamscene, but two games?!

And I just finished downloading a copy of Professional purchased through MS's "Win741" (http://www.winXXXXXXXX/) promotion.

Hrm, the forum broke that URL. Let's fix that. It's "win 7 4 1 . com" without the spaces, obviously.

And, hey, they just updated "The Ultimate Steal" to sell 7 Pro for $30, it had been Vista Ultimate (RED) for $65. http://www.ultimatesteal.com.

Both of those programs are available if you have a valid .edu email address. (As is http://www.dreamspark.com, which gives you *FREE* copies of Windows Server, SQL Server, and Visual Studio (plus other developer tools.)

Got my preorder early in the mail yesterday,
Been running Pro 64bit since 7pm PST last night

Thx to the postal strike I recieved mine a day early - wont be installing it though - going to wait for sp 1

Thx to the postal strike I recieved mine a day early - wont be installing it though - going to wait for sp 1
hmm still not quite sure why everyone waits for the Service packs.. You are missing out. Windows 7 is awesome.

I've been running beta for a while now, I'm gonna get a legit copy sometime soon. The best part of Windows 7 day was laughing at my machead teacher whose birthday was just so accordingly on 10/22/09. What a loser.:p

"On the 7th day He rested from all his work" and was thankful for his signature copy of Windows 7.:D

forgot to mention, i won't be installing it until my SAS drive shows up tomorrow

My SSD showed up yesterday, still waiting on the sound card and the "in progress" pile of parts in my sig will be ready to go.

Hopefully some updates start flowing in. I'm always use to expecting some every second Tuesday.

Been using my MS Technet copy of Windows 7 64bit for a while now and it has been running great :D

finally got mine, and I'm up and running! Used the RC for a while, but it's nice to have the real deal.:)

I've been running Win7 Pro on my work laptop for a few weeks now. One feature that I really love is that once I did the initial setup for my laptop to print at work, and then at home, I don't have to tell it where to print anymore, it just knows. When I'm at work I just hit print and out comes my document on my work printer. When I'm at home I do the same thing and it just works, it remembers which printer I use and where, and just works without me having to change anything.

The wife just got back from BB with a copy for my Windows 7 party (stupid HouseParty never got back to me about mine).

Already running it on the work box, I just bit the bullet and grabbed one for the party this weekend. Can't have a Windows 7 party with no Windows...lol! :D

5 copies on the way. 2 Pro and 3 Home Premium. I will likely dual boot my personal computer with XP and Pro. My son is running Windows 7 RC on his new gaming rig so he will also load Pro. The wife will stay with XP due to a bunch of older programs that she uses which may/may not work well with 7. The only computers using Vista will be two laptops that we bought the kids for graduation presents last year. I am not going to waste a copy of 7 on either of those. The extra copies will be for future builds. All our 64Bit. Paid $50 bucks each for twe pre-ordered copies from the Egg and $30 bucks each for three copies purchased by the college students in the family. Total for house:

2 Windows 7 gaming rigs ( 1 with dual boot XP)
2 Vista Laptops
3 Windows XP work and internet computers.

Been running 7 Pro x64 on the desktop and x86 on the laptop since Labor Day (being a student FTW.) After shutting off the extra crap (like I had to do with XP), I have to say Windows 7 isn't bad. The main problems I have are with drivers from Creative Labs and the Nvidia network drivers.

On my laptop I put the W7 disc in, installed, and everything on the laptop (wifi, media buttons, IR, everything) worked right out of the install. *That* impresses me.

Been using it for a couple of months. Glad it is finally out... maybe PC sales will start picking up.

Ultimate 64-bit on most of my machines since the initial Technet release, love it and so do most of the people around here. I've been playing around with the other versions and Professional is really all you need if your gonna play around with some of the higher end features.

I had Windows 7 Pro back in September through the Microsoft Academic Alliance at Collin College

I wish Microsoft would have released it on a Monday, because I pre-ordered from Newegg, and they are so slow shipping, I won't get mine till sometime next week, forcing me to wait till next weekend for time to install it.

I wish Microsoft would have released it on a Monday, because I pre-ordered from Newegg, and they are so slow shipping, I won't get mine till sometime next week, forcing me to wait till next weekend for time to install it.

I got mine from Amazon today. But then again I was one of the first to through my money at the $99 Upgrade.

The wife just got back from BB with a copy for my Windows 7 party (stupid HouseParty never got back to me about mine).

Already running it on the work box, I just bit the bullet and grabbed one for the party this weekend. Can't have a Windows 7 party with no Windows...lol! :D

That is serious bullshit. Have you emailed any of the higher ups at Microsoft about this? Even if Ballmer or whoever doesn't actually read it, someone will and they'll probably fix you up or at least issue an apology.

Wow, this is very interesting news on Windows 7 clean installs with upgrade discs:

http://windows7news.com/2009/10/22/how-to-clean-install-from-windows-7-upgrade-media/

Bottom line:

The good, nay, excellent news is that performing a clean install using upgrade media is now the same as performing a clean install.

Windows 7 will just install merrily on your hard disk with it’s upgrade product code and activate. You don’t need an XP or Vista disc, and you don’t need to install it over itself. This is excellent news and, while I haven’t yet tried this myself, reports are coming in from across the web that this is indeed the case.

WOW, I'm blown away. No wonder Microsoft was keeping their mouth shut on how upgrades were going to work. Looks like they're going with the "honor system" now, which I'm totally cool with. :)

Microsoft is kicking ass and taking no prisoners with Windows 7. This all but assures that it will reign supreme.

Microsoft is kicking ass and taking no prisoners with Windows 7. This all but assures that it will reign supreme.

I think Windows being on the majority of desktops out there is a given. :rolleyes:

This is a nice bonus but I don't think it will really affect Microsoft's marketshare, although it may affect their bottom line a little if enough people find out.

I think Windows being on the majority of desktops out there is a given. :rolleyes:

This is a nice bonus but I don't think it will really affect Microsoft's marketshare, although it may affect their bottom line a little if enough people find out.

True but I think that Windows bashing with 7 is going to be a LOT harder with 7 than Vista. Vista jokes where funny because they had a lot of truth in them.

7 jokes are going to start looking stupid. Let's see how these ads stack up in 6 months to a year from now. Apple is ALREADY on the attack.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtvloPFYocw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoGYBxbe_bw

I am rocking Win7 Pro as of today. I love it. I have been runnig the RC but now its official.

Home networking is like hitting a light switch now more than ever before.

Interesting find with the upgrade option.
Looks like I should just be able to punch in my "upgrade" serial (MS supposedly mailed it today) into my MSDN RTM copy...which is pretty sweet. I was fully prepared to have to treat it like Vista and install the upgrade on top of an existing working copy.

True but I think that Windows bashing with 7 is going to be a LOT harder with 7 than Vista. Vista jokes where funny because they had a lot of truth in them.

7 jokes are going to start looking stupid. Let's see how these ads stack up in 6 months to a year from now. Apple is ALREADY on the attack.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtvloPFYocw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoGYBxbe_bw

Windows 7 bashing is ridiculous.

Of course, I thought Vista bashing after its first year was also ridiculous, but by then the damage to its reputation was too much. All Microsoft could do was tighten up some screws, make some UI tweaks, call it Windows 7, now everyone loves it. Silly.

BTW, I hate those ads, and OS X is my favorite operating system out there. I like Windows, I just happen to like OS X more, IMO it is better for multitasking and mobile work. The idea that in order for one thing to be good, the other thing has to suck, is fucking ridiculous and completely limiting. Unfortunately you always see this mentality in tech forums and advertising, the difference is that I don't pay attention to advertising so it isn't nearly as annoying to me as stupid flamefests saying the same shit. :)

Anyway, let's hope Windows 7 bashing gets some real backlash, I think its unnecessary when you already have a better product that can stand on its own two feet. Too bad that method isn't nearly as controversial or buzz creating.

Back