Microsoft Launches ARM-Powered Windows 10 PCs with “All-Day” Battery Life

Discussion in '[H]ard|OCP Front Page News' started by Megalith, Dec 5, 2017 at 2:49 PM.

1. Megalith

Megalith 24-bit/48kHz Staff Member

Microsoft and Qualcomm have officially unveiled the first ARM-powered Windows 10 laptops. Microsoft is calling these devices Always Connected PCs, and they promise to offer up to 20 hours of battery life, instant-on capabilities, and a month of standby.

Always Connected PCs will ship with Windows 10 S, which means you won’t be able to run full desktop apps like Photoshop and other Win32 apps that aren’t available through the Microsoft Store. You will, however, be able to upgrade these devices to Windows 10 Pro if you want to. This means you will be able to run full desktop apps, thanks to Microsoft’s x86 emulation tech built specifically for Windows on ARM.

2. gxp500

gxp500 Limp Gawd

How long before intel sues?

3. admiralperpetual

admiralperpetual Limp Gawd

how long do they last when running Pro..? guessing performance is total crap when running x86 apps through emulation?

GDI Lord, Seventyfive and CacaSapo like this.
  4. odditory

odditory [H]ardness Supreme

"It comes with Windows 10 S out of the box"

Ewwww......

5. Wrecked Em

Wrecked Em [H]ere for the GangBang

They'll run all day because you won't ever want to use it.

6. Seventyfive

Seventyfive Gawd

20 hours of battery life as long as you aren't using wifi, bluetooth, watching videos, playing games, doing photo editing, video editing, writing code, reading ebooks.... ok basically you can have 20hr battery life if you want to just stare at your desktop background on the lowest brightness setting =P

Nallexi and likeman like this.
  7. viper1152012

viper1152012 Limp Gawd

Windows s kills any useage scenarios for anyone I know. Might as well just come with android 8 vanilla

8. KazeoHin

KazeoHin [H]ardness Supreme

Windows S-uck.

So, you can't install any third-party software at all. No VLC, MPC, Libre Office, Steam, ANYTHING.

Why would you want to use this for 20 hours?

westrock2000 likes this.
  9. Kdawg

Kdawg Limp Gawd

cell phone cpu + bigass battery = should last 20 real hours.

Ordeith likes this.
  10. bnolsen

bnolsen n00bie

These companies can't charge much for a chromebook so they figure they can slap windows on it and get 600usd.

11. westrock2000

westrock2000 [H]ardForum Junkie

If only we had some precedence to gauge how this is going to work out........

I loved my Surface RT, it was a very very well made product. Too bad you couldn't do anything with it.

Kardonxt and DPI like this.
  12. aokman

aokman Limp Gawd

Lol so Microsoft are trying to backpedal support to try and create a proper mobile device while Apple approach it from the other direction, slowly adding features as developers manage to leverage the new API’s

13. likeman

likeman Limp Gawd

o they want 600 for it lol

i wouldn't pay any more then £100-150 for a chromebook its use case is very narrow same for this and windows will stop supporting it like they did with the windows RT devices (ARM CPUs) when it is to slow to use (i can imagine feature upgrades taking 8 hours on this)

14. Nallexi

Nallexi n00bie

Plenty of batteries can last all day, if they're not allowed to run anything other than very basic, lightweight software

15. ZiggyDeath

ZiggyDeath n00bie

As a torture device.

I'd probably try to start eating it, after I lose my sanity.

16. jardows

jardows Gawd

Wrong. Have you looked at what Windows Store apps are available? VLC is in the store.

Of course, if you must run Win32 apps, then this isn't for you. If you must run Win32 app, a Chromebook or a Macbook isn't for you either. Sheesh, so much hate over alternatives!

Ordeith, ManofGod and GDI Lord like this.
  17. daglesj

daglesj [H]ardness Supreme

Mmmm memories of the AMD E1 CPU crapfest ahoy.

I would not want to use these machines.

18. Pieter3dnow

Pieter3dnow [H]ardness Supreme

This is so funny Microsoft we specialize in reinventing the wheel ;) . At least the part where they release another form of surface and they still don't get it "no one" wants windows ;)

19. Kardonxt

Kardonxt 2[H]4U

Same here.

I like my RT but it just sits in the closet collecting dust since the couple useful apps It did have are no longer supported / don't work.

I won't take another chance on a non x86 piece of Microsoft kit until it gains a strong foothold.

20. mufcfan

mufcfan Limp Gawd

I hope Dell won't jump on this. We had so many bad days at work because of Windows RT and this seems like the same shit all over again.