Microsoft Is Working on Two New Xbox Consoles, One of Which Is Streaming Only

To solve latency issues they will do the same thing as always, gimp the other system to compensate.

A streaming console?

People already hate always on drm Microsoft. Didn't you learn that at the xbone e3 presentation?

Probably be vapourware anyway.

A streaming console?

People already hate always on drm Microsoft. Didn't you learn that at the xbone e3 presentation?

I for one WANTED this online only service where I could buy/sell games that I'd never play out of my library and transfer my license around. The marketplace for this is AMAZING and it would cut out going to gamestop to look at their crap and deal with the dregs of society that work there.

If the streaming box is 1/3 the price of the full box, I'm in if there's a way to transfer my PHYSICAL GAME license to this streaming box. I hate having to find disks to play games and install everything under the sun to the hard drive anyway.

If not then I'll plunk down the cash to get the big boy (probably $500) so I can continue my xbox gaming for the future and play my games on Discs...

A streaming console?

Could just be controversy based marketing. Get everyone to talk about these consoles, get lots of publicity and the top of google news and searches. Cancel the one that people like least and come out on top. That is my tin foil theory.

You know the first thing i thought when i saw the article title was:

How soon we see articles about shenanigans being played on backend for amount of hardware/resources allocated per player in a game.

Could just be controversy based marketing. Get everyone to talk about these consoles, get lots of publicity and the top of google news and searches. Cancel the one that people like least and come out on top. That is my tin foil theory.

yeah could be but at the same time they cancelled the always online DRM and the game swapping the poster above was talking about.

i don't think they were mutually exclusive were they?

http://www.iis.sinica.edu.tw/~swc/onlive/onlive.html
Ehh OnLive best case scenario was, being very generous, a 100ms latency. Seeing that it was mostly physically based, what makes people believe that Microsoft somehow broke the laws of physics and will offer that or better as standard, or that it will be acceptable for most action multi-player games? Fighting? Twitch shooting?... Cheap stuff is cheap for a reason.

CDN, Akamai, CDN, Akamai, CDN, Akamai, CDN, Akamai, CDN, Akamai, CDN, Akamai, CDN, Akamai, CDN, Akamai, CDN, Akamai, CDN, Akamai, CDN, Akamai, CDN, Akamai, CDN, Akamai, CDN, Akamai, CDN, Akamai, CDN, Akamai, CDN, Akamai, CDN, Akamai, CDN, Akamai, CDN, Akamai, CDN, Akamai, CDN, Akamai, CDN, Akamai, CDN, Akamai, CDN, Akamai, CDN, Akamai, CDN, Akamai, CDN, Akamai, CDN, Akamai, CDN, Akamai, CDN, Akamai, CDN, Akamai, CDN, Akamai, CDN, Akamai, CDN, Akamai, CDN, Akamai, CDN, Akamai, CDN, Akamai, CDN, Akamai, CDN, Akamai, CDN, Akamai, CDN, Akamai, CDN, Akamai, CDN, Akamai, CDN, Akamai, CDN, Akamai, CDN, Akamai, CDN, Akamai, CDN, Akamai, CDN, Akamai, CDN, Akamai, CDN, Akamai, CDN, Akamai, CDN, Akamai, CDN, Akamai, CDN, Akamai, CDN, Akamai, CDN, Akamai, CDN, Akamai, CDN, Akamai, CDN, Akamai, CDN, Akamai, CDN, Akamai, CDN, Akamai, CDN, Akamai, CDN, Akamai, CDN, Akamai, CDN, Akamai, CDN, Akamai, CDN, Akamai, CDN, Akamai, CDN, Akamai, CDN, Akamai, CDN, Akamai, CDN, Akamai, CDN, Akamai, CDN, Akamai, CDN, Akamai, CDN, Akamai, CDN, Akamai, CDN, Akamai, CDN, Akamai, CDN, Akamai, CDN, Akamai, CDN, Akamai, CDN, Akamai, CDN, Akamai, CDN, Akamai, CDN, Akamai, CDN, Akamai, CDN, Akamai, CDN, Akamai, CDN, Akamai, CDN, Akamai, CDN, Akamai, CDN, Akamai, CDN, Akamai, CDN, Akamai, CDN, Akamai, CDN, Akamai, CDN, Akamai, CDN, Akamai, CDN, Akamai, CDN, Akamai, CDN, Akamai, CDN, Akamai, CDN, Akamai, CDN, Akamai, CDN, Akamai, CDN, Akamai, CDN, Akamai, CDN, Akamai, CDN, Akamai, CDN, Akamai, CDN, Akamai, CDN, Akamai, CDN, Akamai, CDN, Akamai, CDN, Akamai, CDN, Akamai, CDN, Akamai, CDN, Akamai, CDN, Akamai, CDN, Akamai, CDN, Akamai, CDN, Akamai, CDN, Akamai, CDN, Akamai...

I think we get the idea. If you don't like graphic quality go for it!

I haven't owned a console since the original PlayStation. So, this is not a development that will impact me directly, at least not right away. It is only when a company like EA tries to roll out a streaming-only PC game that I will vote with my wallet against the notion.

I can see the streaming box selling very well if it a good deal cheaper than the normal Xbox.

This concept has a longevity issue. Like any other box connected to a TV, it will be replaced by functionality within the TV itself in the near future. If the box doesn't do much other than track your account and give the controllers something to hook up to, it will have a very short lifespan.

I think the price thing is ok - I mean if its $150, and then you pay $10 per month for 2 year you are at about the cost of most consoles when the launch. But you have gotten 2 years worth of gaming by then too. Its not like you just buy the hardware and you are good to go on a normal console launch. Especially at launch the games all stay at that $60 range for a bit with a bad or at least limited selection to start (at least for playstation with typically no backward compatibility).

So at that level it would be acceptable for me.

I agree with everyone's concerns on the latency thing, I don't see how its possible to totally overcome it. But I also think it only has to get "close enough" for MOST people. But not for MOST people on THIS SITE.

Also, I want to play devil's advocate on one aspect - Multiplayer games. Is it not at least conceivable that those could play better - or at least more "fairly".

Think about this:

Normal MP game is:
Controller ->console rendering and displaying locally - > sending the inputs to a server - > results of inputs from all consoles processed on the servers -> sent back to local console. This is where you see all the desync and lag and "Oh Bullsh!t" I hit that guy first.
Couldn't it be just as effective if it is:

Controller > Console > direct send to server > server render (including all inputs) > send results back with display?

Its basically the same thing. What you see might be more... mushy, but at least it would be accurate to what everyone else is seeing too.

I am sure that is not how it would really work, but I kind of see it as not being significantly different for MP. Mostly with MP, the action might be fast, but you don't always actually see what the server sees. So if you are satisfied with MP and the way your actions translate into kills on screen, not sure it would necessarily be much different with a streaming gaming service.

Local single player twitch would probably suck though as everyone points out.

The one thing that causes the issue in the first place is not solved and wont be for a while, and that is the internet itself. even a simple ping test can show what this is up against. it wont fix matchmaking issues in games that don't give choice of server to play on. Nor will it help mp gaming when you decide to party up with people in 4 corners of a big country. Nor will it help when a gamer in the game has their sibling use up the network bandwidth by d/l or U/l and they don't have a router that will priority gaming over other activities.

Half the issue or more with internet gaming is because we have less option to pick the server we want to. People wanting to party up and play with people 1000's of miles away, and people not knowing how to make sure they get the best "home network" when they play games.
it also doesn't help with connection from the player to the server, which can be an issue of itself.

Back