Microsoft is Working on Dual-Screen Surface PC

AlphaAtlas

[H]ard|Gawd
Staff member
Windows Central reports that Microsoft is working on a dual-screen Windows PC. Following the constellation theme used by the previously leaked "Andromeda" phone, the new device uses the code-name "Centaurus." Windows Central's sources claim that Microsoft will announce the device in fall 2019, and that it will run "Windows Core OS." Theoretically, that means the device won't be capable of running regular Win32 apps unless they are "containerized" or uploaded to the Windows Store. But unlike some dual-screen device attempts by other manufacturers, Microsoft is allegedly designing an experience "from the ground up" that takes advantage of the form factor.

I'm told that Microsoft has put Andromeda on hold and is prioritizing the release of Centaurus instead. That's all in the name of ensuring that Andromeda has a successful launch when Microsoft finally decides to re-enter the mobile market. The problem with Andromeda is that when it's being used as a phone, it's too small to take any real advantage of Win32 programs, and there aren't enough Progressive Web Apps (PWAs) or Universal Windows Platform (UWP) apps in the store for people to warrant buying one as a phone. If Andromeda were to ship in the next year, the device would launch with no apps, just like Windows Phone did, and it would more or less be dead on arrival. Microsoft is pushing hard on PWAs to help solve this, but it's going to be a while before any of that takes hold. In the meantime, Microsoft will try to kickstart this new form factor by releasing a bigger version, one that isn't a phone and doesn't depend on UWP apps to be useful. And it will try to convince OEMs to do the same.

I really wanted a Courier when they posted about that project years ago. I'm still interested in something in this form-factor, I think it would be great for productivity. We'll see how it all turns out when (if) they actually make a product announcement this time. Cautiously optimistic, but given MS's track record on shelving devices I'm not going to hold my breath or anything.

I think this could be an intriguing form factor and hope they follow through this time.

I agree that there is potential here for something great or to screw up royally. Hoping for great.

Now it can use up twice the battery when it turns on in your bag or in the middle of the night at random...

Back