Microsoft is working on a ‘Game Mode’ for Windows 10

I can't see any reason why MS would make a gaming mode, they've already got an OS with a gaming mode, it's on a device called an Xbox. ;)

A desktop doesn't really need a gaming mode IMO and I can't see how it would result in any substantial performance improvement.

Battery life improvements are always welcome though, even Apple can't get that right with the new Macbook Pro.
PC/Console convergence? Eventually leading to a "build your own Xbox, or buy one of ours" in a shared ecosystem.

PC/Console convergence? Eventually leading to a "build your own Xbox, or buy one of ours" in a shared ecosystem.

The build your own console thing doesn't work though, as you have to rely on PC based hardware to build your own console and the hardware is just too expensive in comparison to an Xbox or PS4. Like the Steam Box it's great in concept as you can build a killer console, but for the price you're better off building a PC that you can use for more than just gaming.

The build your own console thing doesn't work though, as you have to rely on PC based hardware to build your own console and the hardware is just too expensive in comparison to an Xbox or PS4. Like the Steam Box it's great in concept as you can build a killer console, but for the price you're better off building a PC that you can use for more than just gaming.
Ditching the application part of the PC experience wouldn't be a good move. If there was a roadmap to that type of destination, I expect they'd keep all the desktop stuff available for web browsing, and other apps.. they'd just have a voice command for "Go! Go! Gadget Xbox mode!" that would be the same experience and store as the Xbox console only with better hardware.
You'd still get vendors to make video cards, parts, and drivers.. you can still obsolete tings by requiring a certain build of Windows or an Xbox Blue, or whatever.; the customer gets a SteamPlay like experience, and continue to use custom hardware to still feel on the bleeding edge of tech, and Microsoft gets a unified gaming platform and store. <vendor lock-in statements go here>

*all completely pulled from my butt. However, a cross platform game store and DX12 based compatibility between Win10 and Xbox wouldn't be all that far down the road from where we are now. IMO anyway...

Ditching the application part of the PC experience wouldn't be a good move. If there was a roadmap to that type of destination, I expect they'd keep all the desktop stuff available for web browsing, and other apps.. they'd just have a voice command for "Go! Go! Gadget Xbox mode!" that would be the same experience and store as the Xbox console only with better hardware.
You'd still get vendors to make video cards, parts, and drivers.. you can still obsolete tings by requiring a certain build of Windows or an Xbox Blue, or whatever.; the customer gets a SteamPlay like experience, and continue to use custom hardware to still feel on the bleeding edge of tech, and Microsoft gets a unified gaming platform and store. <vendor lock-in statements go here>

*all completely pulled from my butt. However, a cross platform game store and DX12 based compatibility between Win10 and Xbox wouldn't be all that far down the road from where we are now. IMO anyway...

One thing to note about UWAs, on PCs at least, anyone can create and distribute them, it's simply become another Windows API, there is no tie to a store or vendor. There's been a whole lot of Windows 10 bashing and much of it for good reason. But there are some horrendous misunderstandings of UWA is. And Microsoft hasn't been the best communicator on these issues. But, yeah, with Windows 10 x86, there's no lock in to the Windows Store even for UAWs. Obviously with the massive Win32 base out there, few are rushing to package and develop UAW apps and I'm guessing that many think that Microsoft will lock UAWs down perhaps at some point. As that's how Windows 8 launched. But UAWs are a good way forward for Windows though they are sandboxed.

While I'm going to remain skeptical regarding any performance improvements worth writing home about, it looks to me like the Windows 10 game mode is designed to compete directly with Steam by making an ecosystem similar to that on Xbox.

Personally I see this as a good thing, it'll force Valve to pull their fists out of their collective asses and finish what they began in relation to Linux with a little more motivation.

https://www.neowin.net/news/microso...ures-and-enhancements-for-the-xbox-one-and-pc

While I'm going to remain skeptical regarding any performance improvements worth writing home about, it looks to me like the Windows 10 game mode is designed to compete directly with Steam by making an ecosystem similar to that on Xbox.

Personally I see this as a good thing, it'll force Valve to pull their fists out of their collective asses and finish what they began in relation to Linux with a little more motivation.

https://www.neowin.net/news/microso...ures-and-enhancements-for-the-xbox-one-and-pc

Valve could pour money into that shit until its broke its going nowhere.

Valve could pour money into that shit until its broke its going nowhere.

I see no evidence of that, Titles are still being added under Linux, drivers are still improving.

Last edited:
I see no evidence of that, Titles are still being added under Linux, drivers are still improving.

And the same is true of Windows. Linux supporters constantly point out a few years ago that Linux had no games on Steam but now there's 2888 showing under Steam currently for Linux. However, this argument misses an important point. Here are the platform counts of new games listed in Steam that have been added since January 8, 2017

Code:
Total    Windows    macOS    Linux      
 98         98       22       10

Yes, Linux is getting more titles added Steam, macOS even more and Windows well more than and this is a constant pattern. So no, the gaming gap in Linux is not closing, it's widening in absolute terms, even compared to macOS.

Last edited:
Which proves very little, I'm not even too sure why you're so opposed to gaming under Linux growing?

However, I'm not too sure where you're getting your figures from, but when I look here I get an additional 703 products added under steam on Linux between the 7th of Jan 16 to the 5th Jan 17. But, because that portray's Linux in a positive light you'll probably ignore those statistics for something you dug up.

https://steamdb.info/linux/

You know my view on the matter, that's not going to change. So you may as well give the whole 'I'm going to oppose gaming under Linux every chance I get' a rest Heatlesssun.

Last edited:
Which proves very little, I'm not even too sure why you're so opposed to gaming under Linux growing?

However, I'm not too sure where you're getting your figures from, but when I look here I get an additional 703 products added under steam on Linux between the 7th of Jan 16 to the 5th Jan 17. But, because that portray's Linux in a positive light you'll probably ignore those statistics for something you dug up.

https://steamdb.info/linux/

You know my view on the matter, that's not going to change. So you may as well give the whole 'I'm going to oppose gaming under Linux every chance I get' a rest Heatlesssun.

The numbers I posted are from directly from Steam so it has nothing to do with what I think, there are reality. And I said, GAMES not media and other inherently cross platform stuff. Almost all of the 703 products you mention are Windows and mostly macOS compatible. Again, games, just look at the Steam web site, click the game filter checkbox. It's there for anyone to see for themselves.

The numbers I posted are from directly from Steam so it has nothing to do with what I think, there are reality. And I said, GAMES not media and other inherently cross platform stuff. Almost all of the 703 products you mention are Windows and mostly macOS compatible. Again, games, just look at the Steam web site, click the game filter checkbox. It's there for anyone to see for themselves.
I think you mean Jan 8th 2017?

Filtered by 'SteamOS+Linux' and 'Games', sorted by release date descending. January 8th 2016 doesn't show up until page 45. At 25 titles per page, that's 1125 games - minus 5 for pre jan 8th. Total of 1120 games.
http://store.steampowered.com/search/?sort_by=Released_DESC&category1=998&os=linux&page=45

That would probably be why BulletDust questioned your numbers.

Correct. Typo on my part, that should have been January 8, 2017, the last week. First of the year, takes a while to get that down. ;) However the numbers were correct.

And here's the list for Windows for that time back to January 8, 2016: http://store.steampowered.com/search/?sort_by=Released_DESC&category1=998&os=win&page=211. 5264 Windows games added since January 8, 2016. So the point I'm making just got reinforced.

Linux supported games added to Steam since January 1, 2016: 1129
Windows supported games added to Steam since January 1, 2016: 5288

21.3% Linux, 100% Windows for an absolute difference of 4159. From January 1, 2016 to today, Windows got 4159 more games than Linux. The gap got bigger.

Last edited:
Yep. There be lots of games available for Windows.

Like any Linux user really cares?!

Figures going up = good, Microsoft getting some form of Xbox mode = fire up the ass of Valve = Good for Linux users, which was my claim in the first place until Heatlesssun attempted another derailment.

Last edited:
Like any Linux user really cares?!

Talk about derailment.

Figures going up = good, Microsoft getting some form of Xbox mode = fire up the ass of Steam = Good for Linux users, which was my claim in the first place until Heatlesssun attempted another derailment.

PC gaming on Windows is better and stronger than ever. VR is getting a lot of attention. AMD looks to be getting back in the CPU game and hopefully GPU to get prices back in line. PC gaming is Windows gaming and for all its fault 10 seems to be doing well in this area. If people like Linux and want to stick to if for gaming, that's fine but Linux gaming fans aren't really telling the story accurately. Windows gaming is advancing faster than desktop Linux.

Talk about derailment.

PC gaming on Windows is better and stronger than ever. VR is getting a lot of attention. AMD looks to be getting back in the CPU game and hopefully GPU to get prices back in line. PC gaming is Windows gaming and for all its fault 10 seems to be doing well in this area. If people like Linux and want to stick to if for gaming, that's fine but Linux gaming fans aren't really telling the story accurately. Windows gaming is advancing faster than desktop Linux.

You derailed this thread, I made a positive comment. For some stupidly obscure reason you have this bullshit agenda against gaming under Linux, give it a bloody rest!

Furthermore, every one of my comments is backed up by linked proof, whether your Windows bias allows you to see the proof or not! Geezus! You can't even comprehend your own linked data so what hope have I got?

If you've got a problem with anything I say Heatlesssun, send it in PM, stop derailing every thread based around your Windows bias.

https://hardforum.com/threads/micro...-mode-for-windows-10.1921018/#post-1042748827

Personally, I see this as definitive evidence that you don't see value in the full retail price of Windows. Furthermore, I think it would be safe to assume that almost all users on [H]OCP buy Windows keys this way and therefore many cannot see value in the full retail price of Windows.

You are in no position to be the thread police when it comes to Windows. And my point really is, what does it matter that this Windows 10 game mode means. Windows 10 is the best PC platform by far today for gaming.

I have no idea what that link is supposed to imply. You are not going to change my stance regarding Linux, I don't care about Windows - Having said that I run Windows, And I certainly don't care about VR or your $8000.00 sig rig.

If you have any problem with anything I post regarding my preferred OS send it in a PM, it's that simple. Can you comprehend that?

The gaming situation on Linux, and for that macOS, it growing WORSE not better relative to Windows. It has nothing to with me, it has to do with the market. The market is simply not accepting desktop Linux for gaming. Few users, a growing gap in games, long lags on new tech. And I certainly am not trying to change the mind of someone that cares more about the OS than gaming in gaming thread. I'm just pointing out the obvious.

Windows has its problems, gaming is far from one of them though.

You see no evidence because you see only what you want to see. Been over 3 years they have been dumping money into it. Performance is still garbnage compared to windows, the amount of titles being added is puny and most of all in that time linux adoption is still sad. 3+ years who knows how much money and its really barely any better off than it was before they started.

You see no evidence because you see only what you want to see. Been over 3 years they have been dumping money into it. Performance is still garbnage compared to windows, the amount of titles being added is puny and most of all in that time linux adoption is still sad. 3+ years who knows how much money and its really barely any better off than it was before they started.

HA! No worries. Believe what you want.

Back