Microsoft is working on a ‘Game Mode’ for Windows 10

LOL! $150 is nothing when you 50+ times spent on hardware and software that wouldn't without Windows.

It's got nothing to do with the cost of the PC Heatlesssun, it's justifying the value of the operating system. I'm sure there's people out there that can afford Ferrari's but drive a VW and park it in a mansion, it's all about justifying expense.

If people are admitting to buying Windows off third parties for $20.00 - $50.00 than obviously your generalisation regarding the expense of Windows fading into obscurity considering the cost of hardware is untrue.

This was my idea, I've been saying for a long time that Windows needs a minimalist game mode. This might get me to use Win10, we'll see after the reviews are in.

Unless you play your games on a toaster i just dont see the point.

Why on earth should they spend money on what programs have been doing for years and getting next to nothing for it? I mean lets be honest the only people that would actually have a use for such a thing (severely underpowered machines) it wont be enough to make any real difference. Then there are those that think they want it and dont realize its going to do next to nothing at all.

Go install one of the dozens of programs that already do this. Its rather pointless outside of trying to make games playable on shitty laptops or integrated graphics.

I think you're missing the point.

In regards to OEM Windows installs being included with boxed brand name machines there will be a cost involved, it's just bundled into the cost of the machine.

In regards to gamers buying Windows from Kinguin or the [H] forums, the only way you're going to get windows for 80% under retail is if it's bought on a stolen credit card and onsold, as it's blatantly obvious that the retail price of Windows is far higher than $20 - 50.

Therefore, it's a fairly safe assumption that if anyone on these forums doesn't pay the retail price for Windows and chooses to purchase off an obviously dodgy third party than they cannot see value in the full retail price of Windows....

....And I don't blame them, Windows is not worth $150.00.

Please just stop. So much clueless misinformation. You have absolutely no clue wtf you are talking about. Getting win 10 for free or damn near free was really simple for quite a while... Fuck you could harvest win 7 keys from broken machines and get all the win 10 keys you could ask for up until about 7 months ago.

This notion that grey market sites use stolen credit cards and nefarious means to get keys is just bullshit. Usually they play games with currencies, buying in one country selling in another etc.. In this case its more than likely what i said before, upgraded win 7 keys.

Obviously there are some pretty shady sites out there but the big ones tend to be grey market (typically legal shenanigans pulled to attain keys) NOT black market (clearly illegal theft to attain keys). Generally what makes it grey market is that means little to no support, possibly against a license or EULA etc. not that its flat out stolen.

Unless you play your games on a toaster i just dont see the point.

Why on earth should they spend money on what programs have been doing for years and getting next to nothing for it? I mean lets be honest the only people that would actually have a use for such a thing (severely underpowered machines) it wont be enough to make any real difference. Then there are those that think they want it and dont realize its going to do next to nothing at all.

Go install one of the dozens of programs that already do this. Its rather pointless outside of trying to make games playable on shitty laptops or integrated graphics.

Agreed.
Amd im someone who actually benchmarked this kind of crap optimizer to implant in my own software i found absolutly 0% gain of this. if you system is otherwise running normal and you haven't done anything criminla to destroy your system performance. the OS does not really take up any resources CPU wise.

but maybe Rez would benefit from a game mode that show where the exit button it...

It's got nothing to do with the cost of the PC Heatlesssun, it's justifying the value of the operating system.

And this is the difference when all one cares about is the OS. It's not the cost of the OS that's the question, it's everything else when those costs are many times greater than the OS.

Sounds great, maybe they can get windows to run on linux while they are at it!

It's got nothing to do with the cost of the PC Heatlesssun, it's justifying the value of the operating system. I'm sure there's people out there that can afford Ferrari's but drive a VW and park it in a mansion, it's all about justifying expense.

If people are admitting to buying Windows off third parties for $20.00 - $50.00 than obviously your generalisation regarding the expense of Windows fading into obscurity considering the cost of hardware is untrue.

You really keep trying to push your point of view as though it is fact. Perhaps you need to deal with the fact that sometimes, you are simply wrong and that is all there is to it, no more and no less. Clearly, you are not willing to pay for Linux so would say that is the true value of Linux to you and others. Or, Linux is free and that cannot even give it away on the desktop since it has such low usage compared to all other Operating systems. (Not being serious, just using your logic right back at you.)

Point being, Windows is far better than you are willing to give it credit for and all you mostly manage to do is find fault, not much else. Notice I do not criticize others for using Linux if they want and do not go about saying they should not use it. Windows is overall better supported in all aspects on the desktop but, that does not mean you cannot use the Linux Desktop, if you want too.

Want Linux to truly succeed on the Desktop? Make one unified distro with one unified installer and you might get somewhere.

Last edited:
Sounds great, maybe they can get windows to run on Linux while they are at it!
linux_user_at_best_buy.png

Is it just me or has Linux uses becomes the vegan of PC enthusiasts. Always have to tell how healthy it is and they feel sooo much better now and blah blah blah... in a debate that has nothing to do with Linux...

- So the other day i saw a ring that i think i would get to propose to m....
- oh hey man you should proposedly (nudge nudge) be running Linux. When i started running Linux blah blah blah.

You really keep trying to push your point of view as though it is fact. Perhaps you need to deal with the fact that sometimes, you are simply wrong and that is all there is to it, no more and no less. Clearly, you are not willing to pay for Linux so would say that is the true value of Linux to you and others. Or, Linux is free and that cannot even give it away on the desktop since it has such low usage compared to all other Operating systems.

The cost thing has always been on of those issues that Linux supporters have often made strange arguments about. Clearly no one pays for desktop Linux (outside of things like support contracts and such) so it can't be worth $150 either. Much of why Microsoft has been able to charge for Windows is because the cost of Windows in relation to everything else isn't where the money goes in many cases. Sure there's the low end where the cost of Windows is a significant part of the overall cost of a device, that's why Microsoft started to make Windows free on a lot of these kinds of devices and to be more competitive with cheap tablets and Chromebooks.

But on higher end devices like a non-budget gaming PC, the cost of Windows isn't significant. The $150 dollars save on Windows buy using Linux. I'd have save many times that just by not buying a Vive and the software for it to date. So the money I'd save from desktop Linux would be from Windows but the lack of support for things like VR in desktop Linux currently.

Point being, Windows is far better than you are willing to give it credit for and all you mostly manage to do is find fault, not much else. Notice I do not criticize others for using Linux if they want and do not go about saying they should not use it. Windows is overall better supported in all aspects on the desktop but, that does not mean you cannot use the Linux Desktop, if you want too.

Want Linux to truly succeed on the Desktop? Make one unified distro with one unified installer and you might get somewhere.

It's really much more a political debate for some than a matter of choice. Microsoft, the evil for profit corporation, doing all of these sneaky and underhanded things and selling all of your data to the government! There's plenty of wrongs that Microsoft has done, that's well documented. But still, Windows on the desktop is simply by far the best supported desktop out there. And when it comes to gaming, yes PC gaming is Windows gaming. So Linux just has a long way to go here. The Linux community isn't really all that great at listening which doesn't help matters.

I'll jump on the grenade.... What is the Linux community not hearing?

Linux users are very quick to dismiss things. I've mentioned many times how important something like OneNote is or how little Windows costs relative to everything else and this disconnect is as bad as anything Microsoft could ever do. The overwhelming majority of people that use a PC simply want run apps and for all of the crazy ass bashing that goes on over Windows, Windows is really, really good at running apps of all kinds.

I get that I'm not everyone, but application support is THE reason why so many people stick with Windows. And I understand that application support isn't a technical problem with desktop Linux but a market share issue. But this is at the core of why this debate has been going on for so long. Linux is fine as LONG as it supports what one wants to do. Otherwise what's the point? The same with Windows.

Linux users are very quick to dismiss things. I've mentioned many times how important something like OneNote is or how little Windows costs relative to everything else and this disconnect is as bad as anything Microsoft could ever do. The overwhelming majority of people that use a PC simply want run apps and for all of the crazy ass bashing that goes on over Windows, Windows is really, really good at running apps of all kinds.

I get that I'm not everyone, but application support is THE reason why so many people stick with Windows. And I understand that application support isn't a technical problem with desktop Linux but a market share issue. But this is at the core of why this debate has been going on for so long. Linux is fine as LONG as it supports what one wants to do. Otherwise what's the point? The same with Windows.
It might be naive of me, but I think the majority of the Linux community gets these points. It's not like they are running Linux out of ignorance of Windows as an alternative.

Granted, not this thread, but the bulk of the ones that have gone off the rails have been in the Linux/BSD/Free Systems subforum. If OneNote like software isn't in your killer apps list and otherwise Linux works for you, I think you should be free to talk about it and even be enthusiastic about it without being marginalized about the 90% who aren't doing what you're doing. Conversely, I don't think the solution to every windows issue is to run Linux. For some discussions (especially if it's just ranty hot air about windows misbehavior and not actually a specific technical issue), it is worth pointing out how handcuffed you can become to a certain computing environment for a moment of evaluation on if you're ok with that. It doesn't need to be a harping point though.

I also think we get lost in discussions by moving the scope. One moment we're talking about a person's specific skill sets and usage, then technology enthusiasts overall, then computer using masses (including our grandmothers), then we end up talking about extreme gaming grandmothers ... and it makes it hard to have a cohesive discussion.

I couldn't care less about where people think third party's manage to get Windows 10 for at ~80% under cost. The fact remains that if people are purchasing off third parties for $20.00 instead of paying the retail price of Windows then Heatlesssun's generalised comment is in fact flat out incorrect, a point that cannot be argued as people are admitting to paying far under retail price for Windows - The cost of the PC overall including Windows is an issue, people don't have unlimited budgets and I'd go a step further and state that it proves people cannot see value in the full retail price of Windows.

As a Linux user I understand perfectly every point you attempt to make Heatlesssun, I agree with virtually none of it, but take comfort in the fact that there is nothing you can claim that I am not going to comprehend perfectly.

If I'm dismissing points out of hand than what do you think you're doing from my perspective?

It might be naive of me, but I think the majority of the Linux community gets these points. It's not like they are running Linux out of ignorance of Windows as an alternative.

Granted, not this thread, but the bulk of the ones that have gone off the rails have been in the Linux/BSD/Free Systems subforum. If OneNote like software isn't in your killer apps list and otherwise Linux works for you, I think you should be free to talk about it and even be enthusiastic about it without being marginalized about the 90% who aren't doing what you're doing. Conversely, I don't think the solution to every windows issue is to run Linux. For some discussions (especially if it's just ranty hot air about windows misbehavior and not actually a specific technical issue), it is worth pointing out how handcuffed you can become to a certain computing environment for a moment of evaluation on if you're ok with that. It doesn't need to be a harping point though.

I also think we get lost in discussions by moving the scope. One moment we're talking about a person's specific skill sets and usage, then technology enthusiasts overall, then computer using masses (including our grandmothers), then we end up talking about extreme gaming grandmothers ... and it makes it hard to have a cohesive discussion.

Over the years I think too many desktop Linux enthusiasts have way oversold Linux. If it were as good as these folks say we'd all be using it. And anytime you mention what the problems are, again, lots of tone deafness. Too much politics and Microsoft is evil and not enough about addressing issues.

As a Linux user I understand perfectly every point you attempt to make Heatlesssun, I agree with virtually none of it, but take comfort in the fact that there is nothing you can claim that I am not going to comprehend perfectly.

It's not a matter of you or even I agreeing with this point. A Vive or Rift cost a lot more than $150. If you want to use one of those, desktop Linux is pointless and the $150 is nothing especially when you start adding in the cost of software. If I were a desktop Linux only user, the cost savings over Windows would be in EVERYTHING ELSE besides Windows. Like all the stuff that doesn't work on Linux.

You really keep trying to push your point of view as though it is fact. Perhaps you need to deal with the fact that sometimes, you are simply wrong and that is all there is to it, no more and no less. Clearly, you are not willing to pay for Linux so would say that is the true value of Linux to you and others. Or, Linux is free and that cannot even give it away on the desktop since it has such low usage compared to all other Operating systems. (Not being serious, just using your logic right back at you.)

- Where did I state that I wasn't willing to pay for software?

- Fact: Linux usage is increasing at quite a rapid rate, as I've outlined in other threads - I never said windows was all bad, once again, I have a number of Windows machines here.

- I don't go around telling people not to use Windows.

- And I defiantly do not believe Linux needs a unified desktop, not at all, if this was to happen I would stop using Linux. In my opinion the freedom to choose the DM of one's choosing is one of the major strengths of Linux. Under all the bells and whistles the OS is still basically the same in regards to operation no matter what the DM, as stated many times in the past, it's no different to Windows running Winblinds in the day.

You're massively over generalising again.

Last edited:
Over the years I think too many desktop Linux enthusiasts have way oversold Linux. If it were as good as these folks say we'd all be using it.

You keep stating this comment and it's a load of rubbish! You know damn well that the masses use Windows because they bought their PC with it installed, it's that simple.

Linux has no marketing, it isn't sold on every brand name boxed PC sold and still it is gaining popularity, which is a fact. So looking at things from a stupidly simplistic perspective and stating that we'd all be using Linux if it was so good, it's just preposterous!

It's not a matter of you or even I agreeing with this point. A Vive or Rift cost a lot more than $150. If you want to use one of those, desktop Linux is pointless and the $150 is nothing especially when you start adding in the cost of software. If I were a desktop Linux only user, the cost savings over Windows would be in EVERYTHING ELSE besides Windows. Like all the stuff that doesn't work on Linux.

This comment makes no sense at all?! Are you trying to claim that in saving money by not purchasing Linux everything else is costing me more? I'm not too sure how that can be the case?

Of course, bear in mind that while you're all ranting stupidly on how I hate Windows so much, first of all I'm not the only user to claim on these forums that Windows 10 has glaring issues and it's blatantly obvious Microsoft has no intention of rectifying them and also bear in mind that I am a Windows user as well as a Linux user.

Last edited:
This is NOT A FACT. Yeah, you can pick and choose some surveys that look good but others don't.

Oh my Gawd!

So where the hell did 3 - 3.8% Linux usage in my two examples come from? I find more than one site proving Linux growth, you find one that shows Linux in an upward trend with a little dip and your cherry picked example, that I'm fully aware of, is in fact the only one that's in any way correct?! Is that what you're trying to claim!

Come off it Heatlesssun, your bias is out of damn control!

Last edited:
Anyway, this is supposed to be a thread on some game mode for Windows 10 - Which I doubt will amount to anything. You're all entitled to your opinions and I'm not going to be a part of this thread turning into a Windows vs Linux flame war again, so I'm out, carry on with the discussion in the OP.

You keep stating this comment and it's a load of rubbish! You know damn well that the masses use Windows because they bought their PC with it installed, it's that simple.

Linux has no marketing, it isn't sold on every brand name boxed PC sold and still it is gaining popularity, which is a fact. So looking at things from a stupidly simplistic persoective and stating that we'd all be using Linux if it was so good, it's just preposterous!

I'm referring to people that build PCs and buy copies of Windows who know why they are doing what they are doing.

This comment makes no sense at all?! Are you trying to claim that in saving money by not purchasing Linux everything else is costing me more? I'm not too sure how that can be the case?

Of course, bear in mind that while you're all ranting stupidly on how I hate Windows so much, first of all I'm not the only user to claim on these forums that Windows 10 has glaring issues and it's blatantly obvious Microsoft has no intention of rectifying them and also bear in mind that I am a Windows user as well as a Linux user.

Again, $150 is nothing in comparison to many thousands. Don't really know what's so hard get on this point. Yeah, if I were running just desktop Linux, there'd be no reason to spend $1k on a Vive and apps for it since none of that would in desktop Linux currently. Last time I checked a $1000 is a lot more than $150.

Anyway, this is supposed to be a thread on some game mode for Windows 10 - Which I doubt will amount to anything. You're all entitled to your opinions and I'm not going to be a part of this thread turning into a Windows vs Linux flame war again, so I'm out, carry on with the discussion in the OP.

Finally, he left after he already started the flame war. :D Oh well, it does sometimes make the threads more enjoyable as long as we do not attack one another. :)

Fact: Linux usage is increasing at quite a rapid rate

From surveys that showed Linux favorably. There are others that don't.

For as long as I can remember Linux had roughly 0.5% desktop market share. Then suddenly it surpassed Vista in 2015 and doubled again in 2016. The overall data clearly indicates growth, and I expect it to continue as more and more people realize that Linux has improved dramatically lately. It's actually a viable gaming OS now.

I moved all my computers to Linux Mint back in October and it's been great.

For as long as I can remember Linux had roughly 0.5% desktop market share. Then suddenly it surpassed Vista in 2015 and doubled again in 2016. The overall data clearly indicates growth, and I expect it to continue as more and more people realize that Linux has improved dramatically lately. It's actually a viable gaming OS now.

What survey showed a doubling on desktop Linux in 2016? Netmarketshare have Linux start 2016 at 1.71% and it ended the year at 2.21%. Other surveys show growth in this range. But gaming, that's one area where Valve is saying Linux collapse in market share percentage going from 0.97% to 0.80%.

My personal take on it is that Linux probably double digit growth in the overall PC market in 2016. But I don't think it's doing nearly as well with gamers.

What survey showed a doubling on desktop Linux in 2016? Netmarketshare have Linux start 2016 at 1.71% and it ended the year at 2.21%. Other surveys show growth in this range. But gaming, that's one area where Valve is saying Linux collapse in market share percentage going from 0.97% to 0.80%.

My personal take on it is that Linux probably double digit growth in the overall PC market in 2016. But I don't think it's doing nearly as well with gamers.

Linux usage under Steam is better than people think.

Furthermore, you read this post and you participated in that thread. You're simply cherry picking Netmarketshare's figures as they suit your extreme bias. However, Netmarketshare's shown dips before, but Linux growth keeps rising in an upward trend.

In relation to Steam, there's already been a thread covering your skewed percentages there also, a thread that you also participated in (how unlikely)! Therefore, one would assume that you can read as well as comprehend and accept the facts as outlined here:

https://www.gamingonlinux.com/articles/linux-usage-on-steam-is-better-than-people-think.6756

Be sure to read and comprehend the linked articles if you want to participate in discussion.

So where are Linux's Steam numbers in all of this? I've said multiple times that different surveys report different numbers.

Furthermore, you read this post and you participated in that thread. You're simply cherry picking Netmarketshare's figures as they suit your extreme bias. However, Netmarketshare's shown dips before, but Linux growth keeps rising in an upward trend.

This is nonsense. Anti-Windows 10 folks have been talking about the Netmarketshare for December 2016 since they came before I did because they showed a big spike in Windows 7, as DeathFromBelow has repeated a zillion times, twice as much as Windows 10 in the same time frame and thus his declaration that Windows 10 is dead. People like him are the ones cherry picking because he never mentioned the drop off in Linux or macOS in that SAME SURVEY during that time. And I've said multiple times one month a survey doesn't make.

In relation to Steam, there's already been a thread covering your skewed percentages there also, a thread that you also participated in (how unlikely)! Therefore, one would assume that you can read as well as comprehend and accept the facts as outlined here:

https://www.gamingonlinux.com/articles/linux-usage-on-steam-is-better-than-people-think.6756

Be sure to read and comprehend the linked articles if you want to participate in discussion.

Because this a better source than Steam how? It can't be, Valve has EXACT data on all of this. I don't know if that goes into the Steam Hardware survey that that's a given. And every single time I bring that up, you post some oddball link.

Discussion with yourself is impossible, you just block out anything that doesn't support your argument that [H] = Windows and regurgitate the same rhetoric's that you believe support your argument that Linux isn't growing as fast as the facts claim and that Linux is crap as a gaming OS and refuse to listen to reason!

Windows exists, use Windows!

Believe what you want Heatlesssun. I'm sick of talking to a child, I'm sick of repeating the same crap, I'm sick of defending my substantiated points, I'm sick of your thinly constructed supposed counterarguments....I'm basically sick of you.

Last edited:
Windows exists, use Windows!

Nope. VR exists and there's no desktop Linux support. You frame everything in terms of the OS and often forget about the purpose of the computer. But I've seen this kind of thinking for a long time now. To me it's just a sign of how horrible the desktop Linux community is at listening. Microsoft is 100 times better and they aren't all that great at it.

Nope. VR exists and there's no desktop Linux support. You frame everything in terms of the OS and often forget about the purpose of the computer. But I've seen this kind of thinking for a long time now. To me it's just a sign of how horrible the desktop Linux community is at listening. Microsoft is 100 times better and they aren't all that great at it.

Yeah, whatever Heatlesssun.

Regarding the ^^above^^ back and forth, am I the only one that is first amused, then shortly after embarassed this childishness is happening on [H]ard turf?

Reactions: Void
like this
It's all in good fun, at least to me. The desktop Linux/Windows debate has been going on for 20 years now. And in all honesty it is kind of silly because I think it's pretty clear what desktop Linux and Windows bring to the table. While the specifics are different, the overall themes haven't changed.

Regarding the ^^above^^ back and forth, am I the only one that is first amused, then shortly after embarassed this childishness is happening on [H]ard turf?

You know you are fucking up when a guy that manages about 5 posts per year posts to point out your idiocy.

Now he is down to 4, good job guys.

Regarding the above back and forth I'm totally over trying to reason with a child. Apparently the [H] Forums are a purely gaming community as opposed to a PC enthusiast community and Linux has no place here. Any attempt to start even a friendly discussion about ones preferred operating system will be buried under mounds of crap based specifically around the wants and needs of Heatlesssun. Furthermore, any attempt to substantiate one's claims with linked evidence simply results in total denial and refusal to accept the evidence as presented to Heatlesssun.

I will continue to discuss my preferred OS, and I see nothing wrong with correcting users when the post incorrect opinion as fact in the [H] forums. If Heatlesssun thinks his going to bury every thread, or even every comment, relating to Linux with crap than I'll just get the mods involved, it's that simple.

There aren't any Windows folks around hue telling Linux folks to dump everything they have and move to Windows, unlike a lot of Linux folks who proclaim Linux has arrived for gaming because it supports a whopping 33% of their Steam games. You like Linux, it works for you and others. It's cool that Linux users share their experiences and there is plenty to learn from that. But we've talking about an OS, not the path to sainthood.

There are plenty of tech savvy Windows users around here that are perfectly fine with Linux and that do use Linux. But as a desktop client it has plenty of issues just like Windows, they're just different ones.

I never told anyone to dump everything and move to Linux, I don't give a crap as to what OS you prefer.

Who really cares about even the OS they do use? Sure their are these debates about this versus that, always have been and always will be. I've personally not chosen to use windows as a host over Linux, the choice is about the things I want to do. The masses as you like to call it, sure, they tend to use Windows because it's just there.

You seem to think I use the term 'masses' as an offensive term, yet you're the first one to jump up and claim that everyone uses Windows?!

I don't use the term masses to be in any way offensive, I use the term masses as it's fact - The masses do use Windows.

i think it's time the thread jumped back onto the rails, if you have any more to discuss PM me.

The masses do use Windows.

I think it's hard not to come across as superior when using this term. Not that you meant it that way and sure the overwhelming majority of PC users do use Windows. But that market share is a key strength of Windows. That Windows can do so much for so many is a good thing.

i think it's time the thread jumped back onto the rails, if you have any more to discuss PM me.

Indeed. Microsoft release another build last night, 15007. Still pretty buggy on my Surface Pro 3 but plenty useable. I don't see anything obvious relating to a gaming mode yet. One thing that's sort of related. It looks like Microsoft has made some battery life improvements. They actually have some experimental testing going on with new app state called throttled that supposed to reduce power consumption on background tasks. So that does sound like it might be kind of related to this game mode. And that's something that I don't think has been talked about here. Minor efficiencies on a powerful plugged in desktop may not mean much. But gaming on the go? 10 to 15 minutes more run time? That's not a huge deal but the longer a battery lasts the better.

I can't see any reason why MS would make a gaming mode, they've already got an OS with a gaming mode, it's on a device called an Xbox. ;)

A desktop doesn't really need a gaming mode IMO and I can't see how it would result in any substantial performance improvement.

Battery life improvements are always welcome though, even Apple can't get that right with the new Macbook Pro.

Back