Microsoft is the first cloud provider to break into the top 10 Supercomputers

Lakados

[H]F Junkie
https://www.zdnet.com/article/micro...percomputers-and-no-it-doesnt-run-on-windows/

Microsoft clawed their way into the #10 slot for supercomputers
only cloud provider to make it that high up
it runs Ubuntu 18.04 LTS
AMD EPYC 48 core CPU's for a total of 253,440 cores (2640 CPU's)
NVidia A100's more than 10,000 of them

Located in one of their US East data centers and is available for clients to book time on now.

Last edited:
Keyword here is that it runs Ubuntu A.K.A Linux. Just like Microsoft to use an outdated version as well.

Keyword here is that it runs Ubuntu A.K.A Linux. Just like Microsoft to use an outdated version as well.
When they started building it 18.04 wasn't outdated, and it is supported till 2028. And at this point, Microsoft is one of the largest contributors if not the largest contributor to the open-source community as a whole.

18.04 is also the latest version that runs on top of Windows, as far as I know.
It's also the version that NVidia's vGPU stuff runs best in right now, when I was setting mine up some 6 months ago NVidia warned me off of using 20.04 LTS as they were still ironing out some kinks.

Now that could have changed in the last 6 months, but I would assume with a system of that magnitude changing out 18.04 for 20.04 would not be a minor feat.

Last I looked like 99% of the top500 ran Linux, it's pretty much the only choice!
Microsoft's kernel's barely managed 256 cores properly, they don't have anything capable or designed to go out to the 10's of thousands, at that scale Microsoft isn't an option directly, but they do contribute a great amount towards the Linux environments that do.

When they started building it 18.04 wasn't outdated, and it is supported till 2028. And at this point, Microsoft is one of the largest contributors if not the largest contributor to the open-source community as a whole.

Embrace, extend, and extinguish
"Embrace, extend, and extinguish" (EEE),[1] also known as "embrace, extend, and exterminate",[2] is a phrase that the U.S. Department of Justice found[3] that was used internally by Microsoft[4] to describe its strategy for entering product categories involving widely used standards, extending those standards with proprietary capabilities, and then using those differences in order to strongly disadvantage its competitors.

Except that Microsoft does not have anything that they could use if they choose to do this, again. Their OS is really poor for anything other than corporate servers, data center servers and desktops.
That's why they are the world's most valuable megacorp ahead of even Apple at over $2 trillion USD now... because they have nothing they could use to make that happen, right. :whistle:

One of the best things Nadella did was dethrone the Windows group and shift the emphasis of Microsoft back to being a *software* company. Woe be to anyone who discounts Microsoft as a software developer - they literally invented modern software development and the concept of commercial software.

And why would they want to extinguish Linux? It's an awesome platform for them to deliver services on - which is their next growth area now that software is pretty much mined out. Ha!

Back