Microsoft Is Reportedly Bringing Xbox Game Pass to Nintendo Switch

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Nintendo Switch owners who are contemplating the purchase of an Xbox One may want to hold off on that decision, as multiple reports are suggesting Microsoft is bringing its game-subscription service to the portable console. The idea of Crackdown 3, Forza Horizon 4, and Sea of Thieves "running" on a Switch will evidently no longer be a fantasy, but a reality made possible by Microsoft’s xCloud game-streaming technology.

Direct Feed’s report also reveals that Microsoft is working on making some of its published games available on Switch. Ori and the Blind Forest is specifically mentioned as a game that would be a good fit for Switch. This isn’t the first time a Microsoft-published game has made its way onto other platforms, as Minecraft is available on plenty of platforms not run by the company, including Switch.

I’d be okay with that I think. I use my Switch far more often than I turn on my Xbox One.

that will be interesting to see. Can only imagine Sony will block this on their system.

I imagine Nintendo is getting a cut, even if small one, makes sense.
So, no more consoles please Nintendo?/s

Yea, I think Nintendo printing money with their console sales is not going to stop. So don't hold your breath.

This could be pretty neat. Streaming can work for many genres, in this case we could have titles that look better then anything the Switch could pull off native. There could even be battery benefits, as it should need less power to stream rather then actually rendering. I'm sure some of the calculus on MS's part involved exposing whatever chunk of the Switch market doesn't already have an Xbox to their library. If I could jam some Forza while tethered to my phone/tablet, I wouldn't complain. My biggest worry is how this would integrate into, or not, the docking system. Right now it handles this and network drops fairly smoothly. You may get a prompt, but the game state is never messed with. Being able to start a SP session on the couch, continue it while out and about, then finish wherever, is truly one of my biggest likes of the Switch. It's the rare platform that can actually create game time where it couldn't normally be. Adding to the library is a good thing.

But the Xbox's A, B, X and Y buttons are reversed as compared to the Switch controller. Will they recode the game some how so when a Xbox game would normally say to tap a, it would be changed to day to tap B?

But the Xbox's A, B, X and Y buttons are reversed as compared to the Switch controller. Will they recode the game some how so when a Xbox game would normally say to tap a, it would be changed to day to tap B?

That would just have to be something they show the user in a help menu or something. Otherwise everyone would have to rewrite their games to some how know what controller you are using.

That would just have to be something they show the user in a help menu or something. Otherwise everyone would have to rewrite their games to some how know what controller you are using.
Mapping buttons can't be that hard in 2019.

This does nothing for me. If I buy a Switch it'll be for train/plane car rides. Will this work over the ocean?

You're talking about Microsoft?

Ummmm no. Look at the best games from last year

RDR2 - nope
AC Odyssey - nope
GOW - nope
Spiderman - nope
COD - nope
BF V - nope
Hitman 2 - nope
Shadow of Tomb Raider - nope

Oh but hey, got smash brothers and a bunch of old indie titles.

Mapping buttons can't be that hard in 2019.

Yea I was gonna say, when you remap in xbox games it shows the correct button. Can't imagine that would be a barrier at this point.

Mapping a button is different from modifying in game dialog and imagines you are aware of that right? how do you expect them to dynamically replace every texture, every dialog box and every UI on the fly to replace it with the correct imagine / reference based on the controller you are using?

what the original poster was saying was will all games now replace RB with ZB or whatever the switch calls it, or R2 or whatever Sony calls it (assuming this ever comes to playstation). Or again every reference to B is changed to A (vice versa), and X swapped to Y.

button wise you will press B due to position when the screen states A.

Mapping a button is different from modifying in game dialog and imagines you are aware of that right? how do you expect them to dynamically replace every texture, every dialog box and every UI on the fly to replace it with the correct imagine / reference based on the controller you are using?

what the original poster was saying was will all games now replace RB with ZB or whatever the switch calls it, or R2 or whatever Sony calls it (assuming this ever comes to playstation). Or again every reference to B is changed to A (vice versa), and X swapped to Y.

button wise you will press B due to position when the screen states A.
Gotta be pretty stupid programming not to make those in game indicators dependent of the mapping.. values, variables, definitions and all that jazz?... Shit, that's such a basic level of programming even I understand it should not be an issue, and I have all of 2 hours of study in c language. Then again, now a days you can see the inelegance of programming, even as an end user.... Flashy doesn't mean elegant kids... So yeah, it might be very difficult indeed due to shit programming.
Well if they did shit programming, i guess you can always grab an acutal xbox controller if its too difficult to play with the switches.

Last edited:
I almost think that Microsoft is maneuvering to become the Netflix of video gaming. I wouldn't be surprised if the next XBox is the last traditional console that Microsoft makes, especially if their 1st party titles, such as they are, are available on multiple platforms.

Gotta be pretty stupid programming not to make those in game indicators dependent of the mapping... Shit, that's such a basic level of programming even I understand it should not be an issue, and I have all of 2 hours of study in c language. Then again, now a days you can see the inelegance of programming, even as an end user.... Flashy doesn't mean elegant kids... So yeah, it might be very difficult indeed due to shit programming.

what are you talking about? You still seem to not be understanding something so let's try it this way. You download a NES emulator to play NES games on your PC and use a Xbox one controller. When playing do you expect to see Xbox one buttons referenced in your NES games or original NES controller buttons? Do you expect the game to say press start or say press view button?

I almost think that Microsoft is maneuvering to become the Netflix of video gaming. I wouldn't be surprised if the next XBox is the last traditional console that Microsoft makes, especially if their 1st party titles, such as they are, are available on multiple platforms.
I think they have stated as such (not sure)? And I think it makes sense. Doing so won't stop you from selling your own hardware either.
I am thinking Nintendo will be going the same direction, hopefully they won't stop making hardware either.

what are you talking about? You still seem to not be understanding something so let's try it this way. You download a NES emulator to play NES games on your PC and use a Xbox one controller. When playing do you expect to see Xbox one buttons referenced in your NES games or original NES controller buttons? Do you expect the game to say press start or say press view button?
The only thing i expect, is... With proper programming, adapting/ updating a game to switch's controller , conversation prompts and all, SHOULD be a literal 5 minute job for the update... It really shouldn't be a big deal.
NES and emulators is going too far back, but shit it wouldn't surprise if there's or there will be emulators that a actually modify the rom on the fly, and changes the control references to the emulators settings.

Back