Microsoft Is Replacing Edge in Windows 10 with a Chromium-Based Web Browser

cageymaru

Fully [H]
According to a report from Windows Central, Microsoft is giving up on its Edge browser and is switching to a Chromium-based web browser code named "Anaheim." This browser will replace Edge as the default browser on Windows 10.

I expect we'll see Microsoft introduce Anaheim throughout the 19H1 development cycle, which Insiders are currently testing in the Fast ring. This is a big deal for Windows. Microsoft's web browser should finally be able to compete alongside Chrome, Opera and Firefox, and those who are all-in with the Microsoft ecosystem will finally be getting a browser from Microsoft that works well when browsing the web.

Wow. I don't know how I feel about this. I guess they want to put something out that people will actually use. But now and then I run into a site chrome doesn't want to work on and edge idiot will.

My thoughts exactly.

Wow. I don't know how I feel about this. I guess they want to put something out that people will actually use. But now and then I run into a site chrome doesn't want to work on and edge idiot will.

There plenty of websites which run crap between Opera and Vivaldi some results are quite different yet they use the same engine.

The problem isn't Edge's browser engine - it's the name and marketing behind it. Windows 10 is loaded with dozens of programs that the average user doesn't ever touch, and Edge has become just another one. At this point it's too late, too.
If they want to salvage it, they should rename the damn thing to "The Internet" again.

The problem isn't Edge's browser engine - it's the name and marketing behind it. Windows 10 is loaded with dozens of programs that the average user doesn't ever touch, and Edge has become just another one. At this point it's too late, too.
If they want to salvage it, they should rename the damn thing to "The Internet" again.

All the time and effort from producing shit incompatible code to promote your product the obvious problems with kernel access Internet exploder / Edge was never the thing people used because it was good. If it was good then everyone would never have touched Netscape Firefox Opera . And it went on for so long what a fucking waste of time ...

Good!!! Because Microsoft Edge is a steaming pile of shit!

And what's this about it being based upon a new rendering engine because that's bullshit, it may be new but it's still the same old MSHTML rendering engine that's been hacked on and added onto for the last two decades. It may have been given a new coat of paint but it's still MSHTML.

Right, I find myself searching for internet explorer or ie from time to time out of old habit when i actually need it. I forget it is called edge

Ugh, chrome is a damn headache at work, makes sure nothing can be done easily on web front ends.

Hopefully MS can fix the memory issues that chrome has as well.

Internet Explorer simply put too much of a negative rep on Microsoft's web browsers. As stated above it is too late to really catch up with Chrome and Firefox. The only time I use Edge is when logging into Outlook Web Access.

I haven't found a site that doesn't work in Firefox, though there's a first time for everything.

Aw I quite like Edge, I also use Chrome and Opera on my pc but my main is still Edge.

Hm, switching from one browser I don't use to another browser I don't use (at home). I'm a Firefox fan, I like the configurability of it and a number of it's built in features (bookmark/history side panel for one). I do use chrome at work since we use the google suite of tools instead of the MS Office suite, but I like Firefox better.

Reactions: che
like this
And what's this about it being based upon a new rendering engine because that's bullshit, it may be new but it's still the same old MSHTML rendering engine that's been hacked on and added onto for the last two decades. It may have been given a new coat of paint but it's still MSHTML.

Not really true. It's was based on a fork of Trident, but was re-written almost from the ground up to be compatible with WebKit. It shares very little of its code base with the original Trident(MSHTML) engine, and actually performs better then firefox or chrome in a lot of benchmarks. Whether or not its 'better' otherwise is purely subjective, although I think advantage of using chrome is it's extensions ecosystem. The original plan for Edge was that it would support Chromes extension apis as well, so extensions could be easily ported over. That plan which was eventually scrapped, which is unfortunate as I think that might have helped it quite a lot.

Personally I prefer the interface in Edge over Chrome although I use still use both for various reasons, obviously that's just a matter of personal taste.

What in the WORLD was MS thinking with Edge. That is by far the worst web browser I could ever imagine.

Sometimes Microsoft can't get out of their own way. When they introduced 'Edge' they gave it a new name because they wanted people to know that it wasn't Internet Explorer anymore. But they kept the Internet Explorer 'e' icon because they were afraid people wouldn't know how to find Microsoft's browser. :rolleyes:

Google is only a little better than Microsoft. Dart is coming, and I'm not sure we needed another programming language, especially one that describes itself as 'flexible'. I wish the HTML / CSS / DOM / scripting committees would put their foot down and say, "Conform, but do not extend" to all the browser makers.

M$ has been throwing sh1t at the wall as fast as they can to see what sticks for years.

• MSN
  • Zune
  • Groove Music
  • MS "Store"
  • Windows Phone (lol)
  • Windows Mobile
  • WindowsRT
  • WindowsCE
  • Windows 3.0
  • Windows 3.1
  • Terraserver
  • Windows 3.11
  • Windows95
  • WindowsME
  • Windows98
  • Windows 2000
  • Windows3000 (coming soon)
  • Windows XP (Still the G.O.A.T)
  • Windows Vista
  • Windows 7 (good)
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 8.1
  • Windows 10
  • Office 365
  • Clippy
  • MS BOB
  • SQL Server (good, ill admit it)
  • Silverlight
  • Internet Exploder
  • You name it, it probably sucks
  • MS "Edge"
  • Encarta
  • Windows Essentials (lol)
  • MS-DOS
  • M$ Money
  • Cortana
  • Microsoft Calculator (this one actually works OK)
  • Microsoft Plus!
  • DirectX
  • Notepad (also works OK)

M$ has been throwing sh1t at the wall as fast as they can to see what sticks for years.

• MSN
  • Zune
  • Groove Music
  • MS "Store"
  • Windows Phone (lol)
  • Windows Mobile
  • WindowsRT
  • WindowsCE
  • Windows 3.0
  • Windows 3.1
  • Terraserver
  • Windows 3.11
  • Windows95
  • WindowsME
  • Windows98
  • Windows 2000
  • Windows Vista
  • Windows 7 (good)
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 8.1
  • Windows 10
  • Office 365
  • Clippy
  • MS BOB
  • Silverlight
  • Internet Exploder
  • MS "Edge"
  • Encarta
  • MS-DOS
  • M$ Money
  • Cortana
  • Microsoft Plus!
  • DirectX

Can I get a hell yeah for some MS Calc?

Ugh, chrome is a damn headache at work, makes sure nothing can be done easily on web front ends.

Hopefully MS can fix the memory issues that chrome has as well.

This memory issue you speak of has been addressed, and is not an issue. Each tab is it's own instance of chrome that is sandboxed from the other tabs. It's a security thing. That's what the Google says anyway.

Next year: We're replacing Notepad with Vim, Office with LibreOffice and our desktop interface with KDE.

And it's still not the year of the Linux desktop... sigh...

• MSN
  • Zune
  • Groove Music
  • MS "Store"
  • Windows Phone (lol)
  • Windows Mobile
  • WindowsRT
  • WindowsCE
  • Windows 3.0
  • Windows 3.1
  • Terraserver
  • Windows 3.11
  • Windows95
  • WindowsME
  • Windows98
  • Windows 2000
  • Windows Vista
  • Windows 7 (good)
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 8.1
  • Windows 10
  • Office 365
  • Clippy
  • MS BOB
  • Silverlight
  • Internet Exploder
  • MS "Edge"
  • Encarta
  • MS-DOS
  • M$ Money
  • Cortana
  • Microsoft Plus!
  • DirectX

Not sure what you're trying to say with the list you made and trying to "stick to the wall". Every company tries this tactic in the IT space. If it fails, kill it and move on. At least they finally get that its failing unlike oracle being forced to kill off Java with HTML5 taking it over.

You really saying that MS-DOS, Win 3.x, Win 95, Win 98 and Win2000, internet explorer are failures? Win2000 SP4 especially. These products dominated the computer world for a long time for the general masses. Only IT people had real issues with these and that was for very specific needs or were Sun/Unix people at the time. Sure we know now they were very unsecure, had plenty of stability issues and so on but it brought computing to everyone and generally worked for your basic user. Now the flip side, ME, 8.x, 10, Phone, Cortana are colossal failures indeed. Most of the rest you have listed are all gimmicky nonsense that arent required for your general home user. Listing Clippy, encarta, groove, MSN, essentials, plus and etc has no valid argument when comparing against IE and Windows OS.

The failure to list OneDrive and telemetry (originally started in Win7 and Office 2010 if I recall correctly) is also curious. Basically Microsoft for the consumer since the end of Windows 7 has been trending straight down. They know its not their money maker, generates more negative press than positive and its really starting to show with their latest products and trying to compete with amazon/apple.

Finally, companies will have to re-code all their internal crap to work with browsers people actually use. I'm so tired of having to use 3 different browsers just to do my job.

As a side note, I guess this supports the rumors that MS is considering moving to a Linux based OS for it's next major Windows release (Windows 11, Winux, Winsux, or whatever lame name they give it). Looks like Microsoft has finally accepted that they make crap consumer products and are finally starting to own it. Granted it's 20+ years too late, but hey, gotta start somewhere I guess. Also, as long as it still plays all my games old and new, bring it on.

This is an interesting twist. I hope they take the Edge developers and put them to work on it.

Edge did some things nicely, but it was too far behind without the development support it needed to catch up. Forking a Chromium build and making it their own might be the best case here. I know I sure won't rush to install Chrome if Windows ships with a competitive alternative instead. Firefox has always displayed differently (it renders fonts slightly different) and Chrome is a memory hog - if they can keep the rendering engine of Chrome, but reel in the resource usage, they may have something.

This is similar to what they're doing in the phone division. Making their software more agnostic, adopting the most popular open-source solutions, and building on top of those.

Back