Microsoft Is Removing Xbox One DRM

I think it could work but then again it might not. Eventually many things need to be forced. No one would even know what origin is if EA didn't force it with BF3. Sony would not be able to easily screw you guys over with PS+ if MS had not forced XBL with the 360, and steam would not be that big if it was not forced with CS and HL2.

Yea, I was initially upset that I couldn't get it through my beloved Steam. Then I got over it, especially at a $41 pre-order price point. Origin works perfectly fine for me and I can't remember ever having an issue with it. I also remember being annoyed that my original HL2 key/installation was forced to use Steam in order to play Counter-Strike. Then I got over it, because well it's CS. You tell a crack fiend to dance on one foot while blubbering his lips before he/she can buy a hit. He'll be annoyed for a whole 1 second before he starts performing for you.

In summary, I agree with you on this point.

it would have im sure of it
now itll never happen for sure
every one that bitched just fucked them selves

the 24h check in was trade off to the publishers to do stuff like digital trading and sharing of games and not needing a disk

here we go same old shit
MS tries to do some thing new and every one bitches
and THEN PEOPLE STILL BITCH ABOUT THE PRICE

It will happen regardless, both machines will still be building a digital library with day one releases just like Steam. The lack of a magical phone home system doesn't remove the consumer demand for pricing through relevance. At the end of the day they can either opt to leave 3 year old release up on the store for $50 and sell next to nothing, or offer them for $10 bucks and sell them by the tens of thousands due to the throw away nature of the price.

New AngryJoe on this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcXdWRJ-xb4&feature=em-uploademail

I agree, MS does seem like a little kid with their shiny new toy (family sharing).

There is NO REASON they can't offer the family sharing on digital downloaded titles, allow that to be an incentive for people to buy the games digitally.

This offers people the choice, they can buy the physical games, which still can be traded physically/sold, or they can buy a game digitally which is tied to their account but allows for the family sharing.

The only reason to backpeddle on it and get rid of it completely is to try and piss off gamers.

It's obvious they screwed up but given their complete backtrack and removing (almost) everything that annoyed everyone, surely they deserve some credit?

They were flat out trying to steal your first sale rights from you.

Tell me, if you caught me breaking into your house and stealing your property, would you be perfectly content with me putting it back and just let it go with an apology? It doesn't matter if you were successful in your attempt or not, if you try to screw me over, I'm not going to do business with you. Period. Zero deviation.

*this is coming from someone who only bought a 360 this console generation.

-.- the family feature was a 15min to 1h demo that allowed you to create save games compatible with the actual full game, not a real way to lend it to your family.

http://pastebin.com/TE1MWES2

So, gratz on buying BullShit by the metric ton everyone who believed that, or any of the other magical fairy dust.

Tell me, if you caught me breaking into your house and stealing your property, would you be perfectly content with me putting it back and just let it go with an apology? It doesn't matter if you were successful in your attempt or not, if you try to screw me over, I'm not going to do business with you. Period. Zero deviation.

They weren't trying to steal anything from me, they were trying to offer a product I didn't like. If they can offer a product I like at a price I like, I'll buy it. I tend to not take shit that companies do personally.

So you've never bought a PC game that exclusively used Steam or Origin, right?

That evil publisher broke into your house, shot your dog, flooded your toilets, and made off with your first sale right. And you paid him for the privilege!

-.- the family feature was a 15min to 1h demo that allowed you to create save games compatible with the actual full game, not a real way to lend it to your family.

http://pastebin.com/TE1MWES2

So, gratz on buying BullShit by the metric ton everyone who believed that, or any of the other magical fairy dust.

yeah this guy is super butthurt he didnt get to do it his way, but man am i glad the consumers shut that down. he is an anti-consumer idiot, as well as a bad writer. oh you wanted to let us demo a game ONLY IF OUR FRIEND BUYS IT FIRST AND THEN DESIGNATES US AS ONE OF HIS 10 FAMILY MEMBERS? oh thats so generous of you! or you could be like any other game for the last 20 years and let people play a demo for free directly without any bullshit. thanks for posting that revdarian. now i see why MS has dug themselves such a hole. even the actual developers, not just the suits, are completely out of touch.

no anonymous MS employee, the problem isnt that we dont understand what you want to force on us (although apparently we didnt because it was purposefully explained poorly so as to make it seem like the full game was shared instead of a 15 minute demo), the problem is that we dont want the shit you are trying to forcefeed us because it sucks and is anti-consumer.

yeah this guy is super butthurt he didnt get to do it his way, but man am i glad the consumers shut that down. he is an anti-consumer idiot, as well as a bad writer. oh you wanted to let us demo a game ONLY IF OUR FRIEND BUYS IT FIRST AND THEN DESIGNATES US AS ONE OF HIS 10 FAMILY MEMBERS? oh thats so generous of you! or you could be like any other game for the last 20 years and let people play a demo for free directly without any bullshit. thanks for posting that revdarian. now i see why MS has dug themselves such a hole. even the actual developers, not just the suits, are completely out of touch.

no, anonymous MS employee, the problem isnt that we dont understand what you want to force on us (although apparently we didnt because it was purposefully explained poorly so as to make it seem like the full game was shared instead of a 15 minute demo). the problem is that we dont want the shit you are trying to forcefeed us because it sucks and is anti-consumer.

Stiler, check out what heatless said about why that might not work.

he was talking about people buying the physical disc, and installing it, etc.

I was talking about a system where they allow people that purchase the digital version (non-physical disc) - which isn't salable, to be able to "share" that version of the game with their friends, just like microsoft had planned already.

There is no reason to "stop/get rid" of this because they are allowing people to trade the physical cds now.

As well if you mean how people might trade a game and then go "offline," they can simply have it where (just like Steam's offline mode) after you're offline for "x" time you can no longer play shared games, or even make shared games required to be online (for the people who are borrowing them, NOT th eperson who purchased it, as they should be able to play the game offline).

dammit thought i was editing not replying. keep getting news articles confused with normal threads.

You know the funny thing on my comments about this is that every just bluntly says I’m wrong but never gives me any proof t say other wise

So I will give you my proof on how I know I am correct. I am a Network infrastructure engineer and I design, build and maintain the exact system and cloud infrastructure that Microsoft would be using for this type of compute offloading. So I know 100% that is kind of functionality is possible and has been for some time.

Now it is up to Microsoft to implement it correctly and since we have not seen the X1 in action. You cannot say it is bullshit. If Microsoft doesn't screw it up and correctly implements it, yes it will make the X1 many times more powerful than the PS4. But with Microsoft track record of late I am not betting on it.

There are flying unicorns in the world. You may claim there aren't, but you won't offer any proof otherwise.

So I will give you my proof that they exist. I am a level 5 flying unicorn breeder. I am an expert in the field and I have personally designed several flying unicorn breeding facilities. So I know 100% that flying unicorns exist and have for some time.

There are flying unicorns in the world. You may claim there aren't, but you won't offer any proof otherwise.

So I will give you my proof that they exist. I am a level 5 flying unicorn breeder. I am an expert in the field and I have personally designed several flying unicorn breeding facilities. So I know 100% that flying unicorns exist and have for some time.

You forgot the part "and you can only get flying unicorns if you order the XB1 with original full on DRM, otherwise noone else will get to even see a flying unicorn because we are the only ones with the knowhow of their breeding."

TLDR crew: "that which is asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence."

I may be blunt about it, but quite honestly the assumed grown adults still believing in fairy dust piss me off.

Why do people link to AngryJoe like he is even relevant? The man is an uneducated moron who is only popular because of his ridiculous rants. His interview with Major Nelson was comparable to having an elementary school student do an interview with the President on foreign policy.

Why do people link to AngryJoe like he is even relevant? The man is an uneducated moron who is only popular because of his ridiculous rants. His interview with Major Nelson was comparable to having an elementary school student do an interview with the President on foreign policy.
I wouldn't expect much difference from the 'so called' interviews he gets now. And I'm referring to Major Nelson (too). They weren't going to put the xbox one in a place to get questioned by someone that they thought was going to be a threat.

And although he wasn't competent as an interviewer, what came accross was a corporate PR machine rolling over what is essentially a [somewhat] regular gamer. They won the battle and lost the war right there.

They'll just add it back later.

I'm not so sure they can easily just add it back later. They've said it on an official website in quite plain terms. If a lot of people buy it because of that reason and then they backpedal after the console has been released, they're going to have to watch out for not getting hit with false advertising.

Up until the console is released, I think they could probably get away with changing things, after it's released, I dunno, but I don't feel it would be a very safe move for them to implement something that they clearly have in writing on their official website they weren't going to implement.

There are laws in much of the world about false or deceptive advertising.

I was talking about a system where they allow people that purchase the digital version (non-physical disc) - which isn't salable, to be able to "share" that version of the game with their friends, just like microsoft had planned already.

There is no reason to "stop/get rid" of this because they are allowing people to trade the physical cds now.

I don't care much for the digital version myself (yet), but if it were an option with those benefits that were described, I'd try it out. Hell, I might find it much better than the physical version. But, there needs to be options at this point. I'll slowly move over, I'm sure. I just won't do it all at once - especially if the competition is doing it the preferred way.

As long as there is a clause somewhere that says that if/when the servers are decom'ed, there is a patch installed that allows you to play those games on that account/console indefinitely. If not, I'd take it as I'm just renting those games for an extended period of time, and they wouldn't be worth as much so I wouldn't be as interested. My 25+ year old NES can still play the games that I bought long ago, but you can't buy or rent them new anymore (for the most part). Can I say the same for the digital downloads? Not sure yet, and that's what I'm concerned about. I collect games, so I enjoy the physical media. But, I also don't want to stay in the dark ages, so I'll move forward. But, I don't want to just rent those games....

I'm not so sure they can easily just add it back later. They've said it on an official website in quite plain terms. If a lot of people buy it because of that reason and then they backpedal after the console has been released, they're going to have to watch out for not getting hit with false advertising.

Up until the console is released, I think they could probably get away with changing things, after it's released, I dunno, but I don't feel it would be a very safe move for them to implement something that they clearly have in writing on their official website they weren't going to implement.

I don't think it's going to be a switch, but evolve that way over time. Along the lines of what's happening with music CDs and even some PC games, it's all going towards digital media.

Going to a store and buying a box won't have a disc anymore it'll just be a game code.

They realized the console market isn't ready for that model, but I'm sure they'll force it before this generation is over.

Let me bring you out of your fantasy that consumer laws actually protect consumers and clue you in...

All it takes is one sentence in the Eula, one small asterisk on the box with a disclaimer and you have nothing.

And even without that if they changed it later they would get a slap in the wrist in the UK with a fine and nothing in the USA.

Let me bring you out of your fantasy that consumer laws actually protect consumers and clue you in...

All it takes is one sentence in the Eula, one small asterisk on the box with a disclaimer and you have nothing.

And even without that if they changed it later they would get a slap in the wrist in the UK with a fine and nothing in the USA.
We'll see, I'm not saying there's no chance of them changing things later, I just think they'd be cautious about doing it. The world over, EULA's can't break the laws, if you say you have a feature and unless you very clearly state "subject to change" next to it (not in small print no one can read), then yeah, you're liable to get a lawsuit on your hands if you just remove it, especially if it's a big feature that a lot of people care about.

We'll see, I'm not saying there's no chance of them changing things later, I just think they'd be cautious about doing it. The world over, EULA's can't break the laws, if you say you have a feature and unless you very clearly state "subject to change" next to it (not in small print no one can read), then yeah, you're liable to get a lawsuit on your hands if you just remove it, especially if it's a big feature that a lot of people care about.

Remember when Sony removed the other os feature and they where dealt with harshly for false advertising and forced to rectify it?

Oh wait, nothing happened. Don't kid yourself...

Remember when Sony removed the other os feature and they where dealt with harshly for false advertising and forced to rectify it?

Oh wait, nothing happened. Don't kid yourself...

They did get a couple of lawsuits out of that. You also have to take in to consideration that people actually have to give a shit, I don't think there were all that many people gave a shit about other OS to bother pursuing it. If, however, 20% of your customers bought a console based on a feature you advertised, I think you'd think a little bit before you remove it.

You do frequently have companies getting away with false advertising, but a quick googling of recent false advertising lawsuits also shows that plenty of companies have been successfully sued for false advertising in various forms. So if MS want to change after the release, they'd definitely be weighing up the risk/reward ratio.

I'm immensely glad that they've changed their minds, but their continued Kinect policy and continued smugness are still off-putting. They tried to shove something down our throats in a grandiose power play and got their fingers bit up. They realize now, "Wow, the plebs have some teeth, so maybe that's not a good idea," and that's a good thing...but they're publicizing their policy changes in a way that implies they're now bending over backwards to accomodate us, simply because they're oh-so-generous-and-receptive, and it still reeks of arrogance: Is a genuine, humble apology really too much to ask for these days? (Dream world: How about firing and blacklisting anyone who planned or approved this anti-consumer power play, including top executives?)

Sony/BMG really screwed up with their rootkit debacle and PS3 arrogance, and it was years until I bought any Sony product whatsoever. There was no real apology then either, but their behavior has been improving for long enough that I'm now comfortable buying a PS4 and excited about its specs and price point. Microsoft can earn my business again in the future, and this decision (if not their atrocious attitude) has helped...but it's going to take some more time before they work their way off my shit list, and there's no way I'm ever buying Xbox One so long as they continue their always-on-Kinect-telescreen policy.

I'm immensely glad that they've changed their minds, but their continued Kinect policy and continued smugness are still off-putting. They tried to shove something down our throats in a grandiose power play and got their fingers bit up. They realize now, "Wow, the plebs have some teeth, so maybe that's not a good idea," and that's a good thing...but they're publicizing their policy changes in a way that implies they're now bending over backwards to accomodate us, simply because they're oh-so-generous-and-receptive, and it still reeks of arrogance: Is a genuine, humble apology really too much to ask for these days? (Dream world: How about firing and blacklisting anyone who planned or approved this anti-consumer power play, including top executives?)

Sony/BMG really screwed up with their rootkit debacle and PS3 arrogance, and it was years until I bought any Sony product whatsoever. There was no real apology then either, but their behavior has been improving for long enough that I'm now comfortable buying a PS4 and excited about its specs and price point. Microsoft can earn my business again in the future, and this decision (if not their atrocious attitude) has helped...but it's going to take some more time before they work their way off my shit list, and there's no way I'm ever buying Xbox One so long as they continue their always-on-Kinect-telescreen policy.

Funny how their visions are rejected and yet you still have MS apologists defending windows 8.

I'm waiting for them to switch that crap back on, six months or a year after purchase.

Back