Microsoft Is Removing Xbox One DRM

Title should have been:
Console gamers rejoice they can live in the past for another 8 years.

Gamers win!

Fucking about time they listened....

Still buying a PS4...

The M$ hate is getting as strong as the Apple hate here on [H].

Pile of under-aged fools technology is collecting these days :/

Lol now its even more confusing. I swear Xbox one is a console full of contradictions. Seriously Microsoft is killing themselves here. Ill still get the PS4 first and then wait to see how many of my buddies get the Xbox One. You never go full retard Microsoft.

Wait what about needing the cloud to help run the game and graphics. So was that all a ploy to hide the drm

Hilarious backtrack but this is now a Day 1 purchase for me.

I could care less about Sony's launch lineup. Driveclub is running @ lol 30fps, Knack looked like crap on Fallon's show, and KZ is a mediocre shooter whose only purpose is to be a tech demo for Sony's new releases.

If MS can nail the TV implementation, their release slate is much more exciting to me.

After they sell a whole bunch, they'll just turn it back on! Are you going to trust them now after they have been such pricks about the whole thing???

So will everyone be careful when trusting MS or will they hug MS for listening to their feedback?

Fickle bunch, consumers

I applaud Microsoft for listening and making this change. However we still need the Kinect requirement removed. Hell I don't even care about the price, just make it where I don't have to plug that in and I will purchase it.

Can anyone trust MS not to re-introduce this cr*p after a couple of years when they have sold enough XBones?

I still won't be buying one after all the arrogance they have shown and treated everyone with contempt.
Putting grievances aside, the PS4 is still more powerful spec wise so should pull ahead as devs get used to it.

Well that kinda sucks, I looked forward to a family account with friends and splitting the cost of games, and the ability to just check them back in after a few hours for others to pick and play. Also the ability to buy used games online and just download rather than going to the circus...err I mean EB Games.

IMO to little to late, everyone's friends are going to want a PS4 because everyone else has already pre ordered one (all aboard the PS4 train). Besides that everyone can see through MS's lies they will implement the DRM crap back in it in a couple years after most people have one when they become cheaper.

I gotta say I'm a little surprised that microsoft changed their stance. I would've thought their arrogance would get the better of them. I thought they would change of their policies but I thought they would've waited til after the launch.

Preorder numbers were probably not looking very good for them to change it so soon IMO.

If this turns out to be true I bet EA is going to be pissed. I'm sure they were the sole reason for all that retarded DRM.
Judging by the elimination of disc-free play (and possibly common sense) I'd say disc free play was the reason and not EA :rolleyes:

Can anyone trust MS not to re-introduce this cr*p after a couple of years when they have sold enough XBones?

I still won't be buying one after all the arrogance they have shown and treated everyone with contempt.
Putting grievances aside, the PS4 is still more powerful spec wise so should pull ahead as devs get used to it.

pretty much this.

Wait what about needing the cloud to help run the game and graphics. So was that all a ploy to hide the drm

No and you can play any of your games that have all their content locally but, ones like the new Halo that require and is built around the cloud compute feature will have to be online still.

Just like playing LoL, Warframe or Hawken. You will have to have an internet connection for them to work.

Right now it is a non-issue since most games that are coming out in the next 6 months to a year won't be designed for the cloud compute. So Microsoft is using this time as a PR repair.

I am glad they listened to the consumers, but the GPU in the XboxOne still has 33% less power than the PS4, and the XboxOne is still $100 more. I really don't see any reason why you'd pay more money for a worse experience unless watching football or Skyping on your TV is a selling point for you.

From what i have gathered thus far.

• Kinect is still required.
    Live is still required for all online services.
    Still $100 more.

My other problem is that now we know what Microsoft wants. Will they brute force the DRM on us at a later date in one way or another? What "features" are going to be dropped from the xbone as a result?

These changes will impact some of the scenarios we previously announced for Xbox One.

While seemingly innocent that sentence sounds rather ominous to me.

Excellent news if true. Now can we start bashing Sony for making PS+ mandatory for online play? Maybe they can drop that bullshit also.

Hilarious backtrack but this is now a Day 1 purchase for me.

I could care less about Sony's launch lineup. Driveclub is running @ lol 30fps, Knack looked like crap on Fallon's show, and KZ is a mediocre shooter whose only purpose is to be a tech demo for Sony's new releases.

If MS can nail the TV implementation, their release slate is much more exciting to me.

Really I thought the MS release games are boring. The only one that looked interesting is Titanfall and that's coming to PC where it'll be better anyway. Definitely think Sony has a better exclusive lineup

I am glad they listened to the consumers, but the GPU in the XboxOne still has 33% less power than the PS4, and the XboxOne is still $100 more. I really don't see any reason why you'd pay more money for a worse experience unless watching football or Skyping on your TV is a selling point for you.

They are going to leverage their cloud compute function in which, done right will allow the X1 to be many times more powerful than the PS4 no matter what the hardware is in the physical console.

This is why Microsoft did not dump as much hardware in the console as Sony did and no Sony will not have this ability for quite sometime. Sony's offering is streaming games from the cloud.

Considering Sony fired at this pretty hard at CES, what will Sony's "difference maker" be if this comes to pass?

I'm surprised someone has to ask this at the moment...;)

*PS4 is $100 cheaper

*The camera is optional (not everybody wants Kinect)

*The PS4 gpu as announced is 50% more powerful than the xb1 gpu as announced, which means the same games can be be displayed at higher resolutions and with more eye candy (more FSAA and/or post-processing, etc.) running on the PS4

day one:
" magical experience are ONLY available when always connected, we are looking into the FUTURE! only on xbox one, trust us it will be magical!"

three days later:

"Well, always online doesn't really matter, xbox one will provide magical experiences, we listened to you! please buy it today!"

really, really funny.

still its 1) always kinnected, 2) inferior hardware (by 33-50%) for $100 more.

Its as if you were trying to decide between a gtx 780 for $500, or a gtx 680 for $600. Which one would you pick?

At least they seem to be listening/learning unlike with Window 8.

They are going to leverage their cloud compute function in which, done right will allow the X1 to be many times more powerful than the PS4 no matter what the hardware is in the physical console.

This is why Microsoft did not dump as much hardware in the console as Sony did and no Sony will not have this ability for quite sometime. Sony's offering is streaming games from the cloud.

That is pure PR bullshit. Anyone can use the cloud it's coded in the software not hardware. The problem with the cloud is that you have latency and it will ALWAYS be worse than computing all values on the console only.

What most of you people forget is that the majority of people don't browse tech sites about rumors and system specs blah blah blah. People that come to this site and many like it are maybe 0.1% of the potential buyers. Sales of the xbox one and ps3 will more than likely come down to customer loyalty of which brand console they had previously.

My other problem is that now we know what Microsoft wants. Will they brute force the DRM on us at a later date in one way or another? What "features" are going to be dropped from the xbone as a result?

These changes will impact some of the scenarios we previously announced for Xbox One.
While seemingly innocent that sentence sounds rather ominous to me.

They did, remember all that digital sharing and family plan stuff?

"“These changes will impact some of the scenarios we previously announced for Xbox One. The sharing of games will work as it does today, you will simply share the disc. Downloaded titles cannot be shared or resold. Also, similar to today, playing disc based games will require that the disc be in the tray.”"

Back