Microsoft is remastering Age of Empires for PC

polonyc2

Fully [H]
Today's surprise PC Gaming Show announcement was a remastered Age of Empires, dubbed the Definitive Edition, coming to Windows later this year

The remaster comes with 4K UHD visuals, new zoom levels, new and improved gameplay, a new soundtrack and Xbox Live multiplayer (on PC)....it's not clear what the new gameplay is but the new graphics are noticeable and the new zoom levels look very helpful indeed...

the Definitive Edition will include all the civilizations from the original game and from its Rise of Rome expansion, which was released in 1998...the game will also offer “the good old campaigns with proper spit and polish,” as well as a Classic Mode for “the original 1997 experience,”

Last edited:
Ironic how Steve Ballmer once thought GPL was a disease that infects everything it touches....

From the looks of it, Microsoft store is the latest "disease", I would actually have prefered a 3rd party (like the guys who did the AoE2 HD) so at least we'd guarenteed to have them sold on more stores.

Problem is that AoE2HD isn't really that good on high resolution screen. I can only hope MS do a better job at it. For me, high resolution seems to be my bane of a lot of strategy games.

Looks amazing, Can't wait! One of my all time favorite games to play.

I kind of wish they would just put the time and effort to just build a new game on a new engine.

I kind of wish they would just put the time and effort to just build a new game on a new engine.

They are! Age of Empires IV is in development. Sign up for the Beta which I linked above and it seems that you'll get information on the new game that is coming also. Well it seems to take you to the same page I think. Heading out so you'll have to double check. ;)
https://www.ageofempires.com/games/age-of-empires-iv/

I still think Age II was the best. Mythology and Age III did not beat it.

I have enjoyed playing Age II HD recently

Can someone explain the hate for something being in the Windows store? I've bought things there before. They install. They work. I don't even think about it. I'm genuinely curious.

Can someone explain the hate for something being in the Windows store? I've bought things there before. They install. They work. I don't even think about it. I'm genuinely curious.

When blockbuster franchise games first started appearing in the Windows Store, most had a DX12 only requirement. DX12 even today is still in its infancy. So those first games had tons of developer bugs and Nvidia cards struggled to run them as Nvidia's drivers for DX12 were atrocious at that time. As the early developers learned the new API, the bugs became less and less. Then Nvidia figured out the DX12 magic with their newer cards and drivers. So if you buy big name games in the Windows Store today, they usually don't have the growing pains of the first blockbuster titles that were DX12 only. AMD video cards seemed to have less issues with DX12 titles, but there were still some major launch issues with the newest Gears of War title for example. Over time those were fixed by game patches and drivers.

Gamers never forget so the disdain continues for the Windows Store even though most of the growing pains have been fixed. :)

Ignorance is bliss then. In which case, why do you care what other people think if it works for you?

The reasons for the windows 10 store being universally hated by PC gamers aren't exactly a secret. And a lot of it is rooted in Microsoft's disdain for PC gamers to begin with - which all seemed to start right at the moment of the original Xbox's inception.

This might provide a bit more insight:
https://www.windowscentral.com/microsoft-needs-split-windows-and-xbox-stores-asap

Last edited:

The nature of Windows 10 is controversial with some and sure it has its problems. It can't possibly be as problematic as some say otherwise it would be impossible to use for anyone. To me the Windows Store is just another app/content store and if something I want or need is there or if it's cheaper there than other places I grab it from there.

Thanks everyone, I think that kinda rounds it out for me. DPI , I don't care what other people think in the least when it comes to swaying my own opinion I was more just curious about the controversy in general. I had seen similar comments like Master_Pain's recently about various applications/games and was merely curious why.

It's because every publisher wants to force you into using their store to play their games, essentially making it a form of DRM. Also, Microsoft tends to shit all over PC gamers.

It's because every publisher wants to force you into using their store to play their games, essentially making it a form of DRM. Also, Microsoft tends to shit all over PC gamers.

But at the same time if you're EA why should you be forced to hand over a cut to Valve or Microsoft or anyone? So there's basic greed element to it. And sure I get frustrations with Microsoft and gamers. But when it comes to supporting PC gamers it's not like macOS or Linux aren't 1000 times worse.

Those "cuts" aren't set in stone. The larger a company, the more pull they have to negotiate fees. I'm sure Valve would love to have Battlefield on Steam. Hell, BF2 and and Bad Company were on Steam before EA decided to release the abomination that is Origin.

Back