Microsoft Is Hosting a Surface Event in Shanghai on May 23

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
If this week’s Surface reveal didn’t do anything for you, Microsoft has another one coming up in May, where they are expected to debut yet another device. The popular assumption is that it will be the long-awaited Surface Pro 5, but Panos claimed in a recent interview that no such thing exists. Maybe it’s the Surface Book 2?

The Surface Laptop isn't the only new piece of hardware Microsoft has coming up. The company sent out invites last night for an event in Shanghai on May 23rd, where it will "show the world what's next." That's pretty cryptic, but a tweet from Microsoft's Surface head, Panos Panay, might have spoiled the surprise a bit. Our guess? We might finally see a follow-up to the Surface Pro 4, a machine that we love, but is currently stuck with 2015-era hardware.

Apparently he said it would be shown, first. Then he backtracked. That's what I heard. So... yeah. I'm really hoping they make the writing latency comparable to the iPad Pro/Pencil. And a USB C port to help 'Futureproof' it.

I don't see why they would release a Surface Book now that they have the Surface Laptop. It would make sense not to have a new Book design as it would gouge the sales of the Surface Laptops.

There's definitely enough room to slot a new surface book above the surface laptop. The Surface book is above $2,000. I don't think those two compete again each other.

I don't see why they would release a Surface Book now that they have the Surface Laptop. It would make sense not to have a new Book design as it would gouge the sales of the Surface Laptops.

And conventional laptop like the Surface Laptop and a detachable convertible like the Surface Book are two very different devices though probably most people use the Surface Book like a conventional laptop. I do but I do quite frequently detach the screen from my Surface Book and use it as a table or fold the screen over the keyboard for writing purposes. I personally have no interest in a conventional laptop, the only way I'd buy one is for gaming purposes.

I was really disappointed with the Surface laptop. Honestly, I don't care if its a book or a pro... but I need something bigger than 13". My eyes have withered away using this 13" screen on the 3.

Back