Microsoft Is Downloading Windows 10 To Your Machine "Just In Case”

At work I was setting up a Surface Pro 3 for a user and the damned thing kept wanting to install windows 10 each time I ran windows update.

Normally we install an image using Enterprise versions of windows 7 or 8 but we found too many driver issues going that route on the Surface Pro 3. Who'd think using a Microsoft Windows Deployment Server, with Microsoft MDT to image a Microsoft tablet would cause quirky driver issues? Good ol' Microsoft... Anyways.... I was setting it up using the OEM 8.1 pro that came with it.

Each time I'd launch Windows update it would already have Windows 10 selected to to download. I'd have to unclick download windows 10 then tell it to search for further updates.

Microsoft is getting a bit aggressive here.

Good start for everybody concerned is to forfeit all but critical updates. Since that ninja GWX.exe (KB 30-whatever number can't recall right now) disaster rejecting all but critical is a prudent thing to do. Frankly I'm amazed that people which want to stay on 7 still fall into M$ trap of "important updates". By now it's almost exclusively trojan ridden spyware.

Running 7, XP, Vista, heck even one W2K and so what there is no support. Never had any issues. If micro softie persist with this crap I will also disable WU on 7 and be done with it because it's beyond loutish already.

two of my machines I never installed any of the 10 BS and hid all the updates and no issues.
one machine was set up to upgrade to 10 but a mind was changed and for about 2 weeks 10 tried to download and install but stated failed.
I found the KB, uninstalled and no more 10 trying to download.

Not really happy with W10 and Microsoft.

I thought the plan was to gain users not piss them off.

Well, the OS itself really isn't that bad. Some of the UI is still sort of rough around the edges and not overly easy to learn since it's unintuitive, but the core functionality is pretty much okay.

The problems are more the forcing it on people whether they want it or not and collecting a lot of information about system activity regardless of the settings the user picks with those slider thingies. At least, that's my opinion. I'm not a huge fan of creeper-type stuff the OS does even if there's nothing much on my computers except for cat pics and screenshots of angry [H] user posts.

Well, the OS itself really isn't that bad. Some of the UI is still sort of rough around the edges and not overly easy to learn since it's unintuitive, but the core functionality is pretty much okay.

The problems are more the forcing it on people whether they want it or not and collecting a lot of information about system activity regardless of the settings the user picks with those slider thingies. At least, that's my opinion. I'm not a huge fan of creeper-type stuff the OS does even if there's nothing much on my computers except for cat pics and screenshots of angry [H] user posts.

With those screenshots I am surprised you would have an space left. ;)

What makes no sense to me is they worked so hard to generate positive buzz for Windows 10 and now squandering it with first the spying revelation, now auto download without permission and eventually probably auto-installation. But why not wait like 6-12 months to get this obnoxious and ride the positive publicity wave, instead of sabotaging any goodwill a month in?

Guess the switch in leadership doesn't change the fundamentals that caused the Xbox One foul-up...

No matter what Microsoft does, a lot of tinfoil-nutters will whine and light the torches.
Always been like that...when Windows 95 offered a new, better UI...you shoud hear the whine of the 3.11 crowd.
It sounded just like ANY windows release.

So boring...so predictable...

No matter what Microsoft does, a lot of tinfoil-nutters will whine and light the torches.
Always been like that...when Windows 95 offered a new, better UI...you shoud hear the whine of the 3.11 crowd.
It sounded just like ANY windows release.

So boring...so predictable...

Difference is, despite 10 being "free", I'm quite happy with 7, and run a lot of programs that I want to continue running natively. I run 10 on my laptop as it is, and want to continue running 7 on my desktop, without being pushed to upgrade to 10 with annoyance after annoyance (icon, popup, downloads)

Here's a batch file you can use to get rid of the "spy" updates:

Code:
@echo.Uninstalling worthless MS Updates that Spy on You!
wusa /uninstall /kb:2952664 /quiet /norestart    
wusa /uninstall /kb:3035583 /quiet /norestart    
wusa /uninstall /kb:2990214 /quiet /norestart 
wusa /uninstall /kb:3068708 /quiet /norestart
wusa /uninstall /kb:3022345 /quiet /norestart
wusa /uninstall /kb:3075249 /quiet /norestart
wusa /uninstall /kb:3080149 /quiet /norestart
@echo.
@echo.Done uninstalling.  Settings will not apply until a restart is performed.
@echo.
@set /p restartComp=Restart the computer now? [y/n]:
@if "%restartComp%" == "y" shutdown /r /t 0
@echo.
@echo.All operations successful.
@echo.
@pause

You'll still have to manually hide these updates so they don't download again.

Here's a batch file you can use to get rid of the "spy" updates:

Code:
@echo.Uninstalling worthless MS Updates that Spy on You!
wusa /uninstall /kb:2952664 /quiet /norestart    
wusa /uninstall /kb:3035583 /quiet /norestart    
wusa /uninstall /kb:2990214 /quiet /norestart 
wusa /uninstall /kb:3068708 /quiet /norestart
wusa /uninstall /kb:3022345 /quiet /norestart
wusa /uninstall /kb:3075249 /quiet /norestart
wusa /uninstall /kb:3080149 /quiet /norestart
@echo.
@echo.Done uninstalling.  Settings will not apply until a restart is performed.
@echo.
@set /p restartComp=Restart the computer now? [y/n]:
@if "%restartComp%" == "y" shutdown /r /t 0
@echo.
@echo.All operations successful.
@echo.
@pause

You'll still have to manually hide these updates so they don't download again.

thank you for that list

You have user A who is frustrated about not being able to get the update fast enough and then user B who is frustrated that files are getting onto their machine they have no intention of using. To deliver the software early or not is going to please and displease one user or the other.

Personally I'll put it on every machine it is safe to use it on. Others may love to stick with XP :)

You have user A who is frustrated about not being able to get the update fast enough and then user B who is frustrated that files are getting onto their machine they have no intention of using. To deliver the software early or not is going to please and displease one user or the other.

Personally I'll put it on every machine it is safe to use it on. Others may love to stick with XP :)

it wouldve been nice if the popup had the option "are you interested in upgrading to windows 10?" yes, no, ask me later. yes downloads files. no doesnt. ask me later pops up window every couple of days.

I guess they're just looking at the raw numbers standpoint. Most people don't have a clue how to use the PC they own - they bought it at Best Buy and they turn it on. So if MS can get these unsuspecting people into installing Windows 10 with the trickery of typical ransomware, they can claim another "See how many are FLOCKING to Windows 10?" PR victory.

Like for every 10 people that don't have a clue they were agreeing to install a new Windows instead of just clicking OK to make a pop-up nag go away, if there's one complainer for every 10 then MS will take that as a victory.

Creating a more substantial upgrade with any kind of must-have or killer features that would actually make the upgrade compelling and make the average Win7 user think "oooh okay I want that I'll upgrade!" is obviously beyond their capabilities these days. That takes hard work and imagination.

Instead we get the force fed Windows 8.2 mediocrity you see here. Enjoy.

The windows 10 download is only a few gigs... if that is the difference between your drive having plenty of space or being low on space, you should probably just get a bigger drive... :rolleyes:

Do I own my computer or does Microsoft? Do I control what goes on it or does Microsoft? Do we not live in the world of bandwidth caps? In some cases this actions costs the user money out of their pocket.

But hey, we live now in an era of government run healthcare for everyone so I should lie back and think of England as it were. Let our Lords and Masters do all the thinking for us.

I've killed GWX.exe and any connected processes in the task manager, deleted it from the computer, and it never came back. I didn't disable updates, or block any updates in Windows update. So it still thinks it's installed that's why it's not trying to install it again.

I don't have Automatic Updates enabled so this is a non-issue for me...although Microsoft's continued insistence towards forcing people to upgrade is ridiculous

I'm going to go ahead and call those of you who don't patch your boxes or use out of date operating systems that are no longer patched, assholes for likely being part of Botnets that DDOS my servers :p

If someone never reserved it then there is no way it should be put on a users PC. That is downright rude.

Do I own my computer or does Microsoft?
You own the computer. They own the software, and somewhere in the 10,000 page EULA there's probably something about them being allowed to download anything they want to call an update, and you've most likely already agreed to it by installing whatever version of windows/some minor update agreement. They're going to do whatever they damn well please, and all we can do is un-do it. I'm not an IT person and I don't spend tons of time involved with my machine. It's one reason that I come hear and read stuff, to learn what all the smart computer people have to say. Hell, I even read stuff from morons. Never can tell when an idiot will have something useful to say, or when a genius will say something idiotic just for laughs.

MIcrosoft has an illegal monopoly on operating system software; any other business with that percentage of the market would have been broken up by now. They should be declared a utility and regulated somewhat, at least with regard to the right to know WTF they are doing, especially after seeing this sneaky bit of business. However, about 95% of their customers will not even have a clue that anything has been downloaded onto their machines, and will probably be thrilled that they got this 'upgrade' to win 10 for free. They're too stupid to care that they're information is being collected and shared with the known universe 'for a slight fee'.

I know that government isn't any better, in fact many gov't employees in IT are dumber than a box or rocks. But M$ is getting to uppity again, and needs to be brought down a notch or two. Or at least have Bill come on a commercial and apologize, and tell us why they're doing what they're doing. I don't see Microsoft as an evil entity, but they really have to stop screwing with us. Way too many times we've been given upgrades that don't work, or cripple our computer, necessitating either buying new hardware or formatting the damn machine and reinstalling everything we had on it, back onto it before the nasty 'upgrade' f*cked it up.

That said, thank you guys for putting this info on the boards, and thank you earnolmartin for that handy batch file.

Do I own my computer or does Microsoft? Do I control what goes on it or does Microsoft? Do we not live in the world of bandwidth caps? In some cases this actions costs the user money out of their pocket.

But hey, we live now in an era of government run healthcare for everyone so I should lie back and think of England as it were. Let our Lords and Masters do all the thinking for us.

Dude just fucking delete windows and stfu.

This all started when crapple installed U2 on everyone's iTunes.. That set the visible end user precedent, but now our computing devices don't belong to us anymore and no longer under our control

so....interesting tidbit

got a buddy coming over tonight to LAN, in preparation I fired up the #2 gaming box for the first time in probably 3 months

went to windows update, unchecked and hid 5 KBs from the list above and start download, it sits there with its thumb up its ass 0% 0KB/sec, that is not unusual, often takes windows update a while to hook up, no big, I leave it and go back to my main box

internet is choked, 1/10 of my usual bandwidth available, check other box, still 0/0

reset modem and router, same same

hmmmmm, well, going to have a hell of a time getting this box updated in time if my internet is wonky, call ISP

ISP reports that my UPLOAD bandwidth is absolutely maxed, UPLOAD

shutdown box#2 and everything goes back to normal

Downloading updates is not a felony nor is it "hacking". Good grief.

Depend son your definition of "updates".

If that update claims to be a security update, but instead installs a bit-torrent client that runs in the background downloading, AND distributing software you neither asked for nor want, we have a real problem...

Zarathustra[H];1041861813 said:
Depend son your definition of "updates".

If that update claims to be a security update, but instead installs a bit-torrent client that runs in the background downloading, AND distributing software you neither asked for nor want, we have a real problem...

And that problem exists in Windows 10. There is no defense for defaulting everyone's PC and Internet connection to being a torrent box to help MS distribute Windows 10, as well as ongoing patches and updates. Indefensible.

And that problem exists in Windows 10. There is no defense for defaulting everyone's PC and Internet connection to being a torrent box to help MS distribute Windows 10, as well as ongoing patches and updates. Indefensible.

Bullsite

You can disable P2P in settings. :rolleyes:

Do you have any documentation for that setting being overriddeen...or are we in tinfoilhat-land once again?

I was looking at this and I was wondering if I had it... turns out it was in optional updates, which I almost never install. So This never happened to me.

Bullsite

Do you have any documentation for that setting being overriddeen...or are we in tinfoilhat-land once again?

Cool strawman. I said DEFAULTED. Yes if you can dig around in the settings eventually you might find where you can turn off the P2P. But legions of people that won't even know P2P is happening will be getting their bandwidth stolen by MS because they don't even know the P2P is happening. are you seriously defending this bullshit?

Cool strawman. I said DEFAULTED. Yes if you can dig around in the settings eventually you might find where you can turn off the P2P. But legions of people that won't even know P2P is happening will be getting their bandwidth stolen by MS because they don't even know the P2P is happening. are you seriously defending this bullshit?

Well, it's only right to point out that lots of other people have often mentioned when talking about ISP and cellular companies that there's really no shortage of bandwidth out there. Microsoft really isn't stealing anything because there's basically an infinite supply of it so doing like some torrent stuff from your Windows computer isn't that big of a deal, at least not as big of a deal as the whole keylogging thing.

Bullsite

You CAN disable it once you have installed Windows 10, but not in the little update that installs the Windows 10 upgrade nagware.

There is not as much as a notification that it will even be using your upstream bandwidth to distribute the install "media".

And even once you have Windows 10 installed, unless you read the fine print of the EULA (which studies show no one reads, because you'd have to take a month off from work to get through them all).

Your average user doesn't have a clue that their machine is suddenly a internet distribution platform for Windows updates. They just no that they blew through their bandwidth cap and are suddenly being charged extra money when they never have been before...

IMHO, an operating system should be a clean slate. it shouldn't do anything unless you tell it to, and when it does something, it should be for YOUR benefit, not for someone else.

It's bad enough that it comes preinstalled with all their uninstallable service apps (music streaming, cloud drive, etc. etc.), but when they surreptitiously include software that runs without your permission, and uses things that cost your money (electricity bandwidth, etc.) to benefit THEM, now we are talking somethign that really resembles malware.

The nagware app that automatically downloads Windows 10 install files and shares them on the internet is completely indefensible.

The peer to peer Windows updates in Windows 10, should at the very least have been an "opt-in" feature, if not omitted all together. You know something like "enable this to participate in Windows peer to peer updates, and get updates faster!"

In the end, Microsoft (just like Facebook before them) violated the very basic rules of software control with this release, and that is, whenever there is an option to share anything or to allow anything to run, it should ALWAYS default to the least permissive.

Anything else is simply unethical.

Back