Microsoft Is Downloading Windows 10 To Your Machine "Just In Case”

They could solve this so easily. You know, I understand MS wanting to keep the little upgrade logo on the taskbar. Let's give them that so that average joe can do the upgrade easily whenever without needing tech support. But all they need to quiet this is to make it so that the FIRST time you click on the popup windows window you get one of those new little switches MS likes so much. Have it say "Download and Prepare my Install" and "DO NOT Download Windows 10 upgrade."

And it should never pop up again after that. Only the little logo sits there quietly in case you want to upgrade later.

How hard is that? That would be enough.

(Well, that and making a right-click context option to remove the logo permanently)

They could solve this so easily. You know, I understand MS wanting to keep the little upgrade logo on the taskbar. Let's give them that so that average joe can do the upgrade easily whenever without needing tech support. But all they need to quiet this is to make it so that the FIRST time you click on the popup windows window you get one of those new little switches MS likes so much. Have it say "Download and Prepare my Install" and "DO NOT Download Windows 10 upgrade."

And it should never pop up again after that. Only the little logo sits there quietly in case you want to upgrade later.

How hard is that? That would be enough.

(Well, that and making a right-click context option to remove the logo permanently)

If they do that, then you'll never accidentally upgrade in a moment of weakness, or after you've had too much to drink.

They are monetizing their user base, and they have every incentive to get everyone on board, and they have no qualms what so ever - it seems - by using what - if it isn't, should be - criminal methods.

That, and just like Facebook, they violate the number one law of computer data privacy. The default option of any setting that has the potential to compromise privacy should always be OFF, without any exceptions.

Back in the 1980s there was a TV show called Dinosaurs. That show was sort of like the Honeymooners except with people sized dinosaurs. In that TV show was a mega-corporation called the WeSaySo corporation.

With this move, Microsoft is beginning to remind me of that mega-corporation that had the slogan "brought to you by the WeSaySo Corporation. Why? Because we say so." :p

This is why I disabled automatic updates on all my systems. M$ cannot be trusted to determine what is "important". This is also exactly why I refuse to install Windows 10 - can't disable updates.

I see the error of my ways, not refreshing WU and blocking the update that I just uninstalled. Of course MS would push it right back down my throat.

Wow, I was wondering why my drive was getting a low space notification.
The windows 10 download is only a few gigs... if that is the difference between your drive having plenty of space or being low on space, you should probably just get a bigger drive... :rolleyes:

$Windows.~BT
BT = Bit Torrent...
Yep, welcome to the collective.

Do you consider it a bad thing that computers on the same network will potentially download data from the internet once and then share it amongst themselves, as opposed to having each computer individually downloading the exact same updates from the internet?

Zarathustra[H];1041850352 said:
That, and just like Facebookn, they violate the number one law of computer data privacy. The default option of any setting that has the potential to compromise privacy should always be OFF, without any exceptions.

The thing with Facebook, or Google.com or whatever - at least you can close the browser and get away from them. But when data mining is built right into the fucking DNA of the OS, if you want to get away from it in Windows 10, you have no more computer anymore - its a doorstopper, unless you have enough technical ability to roll back to an earlier Windows and block the spying KB updates, or install Linux.

Oh sure, "but, but, phones are spying and nobody seems to care". Bullshit. Just because phones may be doing it, doesn't mean we should "just shut up and just let it happen on your PC too". Nevermind on a paid, $200 OS.

The windows 10 download is only a few gigs... if that is the difference between your drive having plenty of space or being low on space, you should probably just get a bigger drive... :rolleyes:

Seriously? Most braindead excuse I've heard all day. Maybe someone can only afford a 128GB SSD for the time being. Why should they be forced to store 6-10GB of "just in case you want to install Windows 10!" data that they DID NOT ASK FOR?

Facepalm.

Seriously? Most braindead excuse I've heard all day. Maybe someone can only afford a 128GB SSD for the time being. Why should they be forced to store 6-10GB of "just in case you want to install Windows 10!" data that they DID NOT ASK FOR?

Facepalm.

+1. My moms win7 laptop for instance has a 60GB hdd. My vista laptop I use for internet browsing only is a 40GB ssd. The win10 folders (2) on my desktop/workstation summed up to 11GB.

Heh can see it now. Go to bed with windows 7 or 8 running. Wake up the next day with windows 10 running.

It's not what we want, but what Microsoft wants for you.

Heh can see it now. Go to bed with windows 7 or 8 running. Wake up the next day with windows 10 running.

Cue press released pie charts of all the people supposedly flocking to Windows 10..

"This month we're celebrating 100 billion Folks™ on Windows 10! You talked, we listened! Connecting more Folks™ than ever to the digital world of thingz! Work smarter. Play smarter. Find your new Strategic Direction with Windows 10!"

YsZZIuN.jpg

I thought there was also a higher priority security update it was rolled into so like if you uninstall that one KB thing, you'd open up a hole in the OS that someone could exploit which was the compelling reason not to remove it.

I have that KB3035583 update installed, but no $windows/~bt folder anywhere (yes, hidden files is on). This is not a guaranteed thing?? What is causing it to be installed? I have the pop-up for "Get Windows 10" even...

Seems like a lot of people are experiencing this but not everyone??

If you turn off automatic updates it won't download, if you run in a local user account it can't install itself either.

I have that KB3035583 update installed, but no $windows/~bt folder anywhere (yes, hidden files is on). This is not a guaranteed thing?? What is causing it to be installed? I have the pop-up for "Get Windows 10" even...

on my desktop, in the past 24 hours, Ive had to reboot 3 times for updates. seemed like everytime i went to shut it down, the icon "install updates and shutdown" was there.

Running administrator account and have automatic updates on... Not sure, but do not care that its not installed either! Just curious what makes it do this? Everyone is saying that update, but it obviously does not affect everyone.

"You have to eat, and we're the only ones serving... so here, have a turd!"

i haven't updated my windows 7 in awhile, so what updates do i need to disable to stop this crap ?

and how do i get rid of the windows 10 upgrade deal ion the taskbar ?

I remember reading that Microsoft isn't pushing it to computers that have hardware or software that isn't ready for Windows 8 yet, as reported by their compatibility tester.

Could it be you have some unusual hardware/software that fails the compatibility test?

Damn, Windows downloaded an update?

When will this tyranny end?

Well this isn't an OS update but new entirely new OS. I perfectly understand why people with data caps and low storage space would be upset about this. It's not surprising that Microsoft is being very aggressive about getting machines on 10, but this particular issue doesn't really seem to help that cause in any way and only causes blowback. I'm guessing the calculus was that that bad PR is worth it somehow but it's beyond me.

Zarathustra[H];1041851092 said:
I remember reading that Microsoft isn't pushing it to computers that have hardware or software that isn't ready for Windows 8 yet, as reported by their compatibility tester.

Could it be you have some unusual hardware/software that fails the compatibility test?

Guess I could... Who knows... Just whats in my SIG, steam games/battlefield/starcraft, utorrent, and office... Wonder if it does not like *my* copy of Office lol.

well it will be interesting to see how much data (aka overage) my clients field laptops (non domain joined) downloaded via their verizon mifi's.

Ok, I knew I'd heard about this a long time ago: http://winsupersite.com/windows-10/...downloading-windows-10-upgrade-bits-computers. So it's the same 3GB precache that's been happening from day one with automatic updates. Did something change?

It sounds like some people are finding more like 5.5GB of stuff or more. I've never seen anything but the 3GB-ish download (twice), but there's a .WS folder that seems like it almost doubles the total amount of stuff downloaded. *shrug*

well it will be interesting to see how much data (aka overage) my clients field laptops (non domain joined) downloaded via their verizon mifi's.

Aren't those MiFi's capped at like 4 or 5GB? I remember we had huge headaches with them at one client.

It sounds like some people are finding more like 5.5GB of stuff or more. I've never seen anything but the 3GB-ish download (twice), but there's a .WS folder that seems like it almost doubles the total amount of stuff downloaded. *shrug*

thats what it was for me. the BT folder was 5.5GB, the WS folder was 5.75.

WISH I COULD EDIT:

after uninstalling kb3035583, I used disk cleanup which got rid of the BT folder. The WS folder had to be removed manually.

Back