Microsoft is discontinuing Backwards Compatibility for Xbox

scojer

[H]F Junkie

What you need to know​

• Microsoft has updated its Xbox backward compatibility list today with over 70 titles.
  • Backward compatibility now supports hundreds of old games from previous Xbox generations.
  • The latest wave of titles marks the end of the program, with Microsoft citing various "licensing, legal, and technical constraints."
Source

One of the selling points for Xbox was having this available, it seems that the program is put on hiatus, so now if you want to play old games that aren't compatible - you'll need the original hardware.

Source:
https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2021/11/15/70-new-backward-compatible-games/

Looks like some of the iconic and cult favorite games from the original Xbox were finally added. A bunch also got FPS Boost, which is nice.
That was the last update for Xbox One. At the end of the article it says they're excited about the future of the program for Project Scarlett (Series X|S). It looks like the OP announcement is the "end" end for the program at this point.
The Licensing and Legal parts are probably due to publishers trying to milk the "remastered" market.
It's more like the developer/publisher that made the game doesn't exist anymore, the IP is in legal limbo, or the game contained licensed content that cannot or won't be renewed due to cost vs. potential new sales.

That was the last update for Xbox One. At the end of the article it says they're excited about the future of the program for Project Scarlett (Series X|S). It looks like the OP announcement is the "end" end for the program at this point.
All 76 are BC for Xbox One and Series X|S. I'll take their 'end of program' with a grain of salt.

The Licensing and Legal parts are probably due to publishers trying to milk the "remastered" market.

Like that amazing effort they put in on the GTA Remastered trilogy :p

First they sued community mods (some of which really looked good) and then they released this turd:

HEY.jpg

1637011588710.png

They didn't even try. It's like they released some interns school project without even looking at it.

Glad I decided to upgrade my PC instead of buying an Xbox Series X as this was one of my #1 wants!
I wanted just one gaming thingy not 4 attached to my entertainment center plus my Ryzen 9 5900X was easier to find in stock Vs the Xbox Series X (Damn idiot scalpers)!
Microsoft is shooting itself in the foot with all of it bad moves lately Windows 11 (10 was supposed to be the last) Windows 11 browser war and now this!

First they sued community mods (some of which really looked good) and then they released this turd:

View attachment 412919

View attachment 412918

They didn't even try. It's like they released some interns school project without even looking at it.

I think they tried to use some AI algorithm or something and it sucked, bad. You get nonsensical shit like this:

ekqnpxmhbuz71.png

View attachment 412919

View attachment 412918

They gave it to a studio that primarily does quick mobile ports. The same studio responsible for the GTA3 android port and a handful of other Rockstar mobile titles. Probably gave them a tiny as fuck budget and only a few months to get it all done.

Considering this generated almost no revenue for Microsoft or its partners, this isn't really surprising.........but Gamespot is probably looking for a tall branch over-which to toss their rope. Dead Space not getting a 60fps boost is unsurprising with the remaster shipping soon (and that's the game that's damn near impossible to get running well on PC @60 because its physics are tied into the engine if I recall correctly so who knows maybe its technically a bitch to get working)......but for a 20th anniversary parting gift it sure would have been nice to have been given Forza Motorsport 4. From the old Xbox days, that industry-leading Rally game would have been nice, and MechAssault (the game that launched Xbox Live) would have been kinda neet but then again.........10 minutes of nostalgia isn't really effective use of a developers time.

They gave it to a studio that primarily does quick mobile ports. The same studio responsible for the GTA3 android port and a handful of other Rockstar mobile titles. Probably gave them a tiny as fuck budget and only a few months to get it all done.
The mobile devs who made it also did the gen 7 ports of the GTA games (PS3, Xbox 360). The fact that R* keeps giving these idiots projects to work on shows how much they care about their customers.

The mobile devs who made it also did the gen 7 ports of the GTA games (PS3, Xbox 360). The fact that R* keeps giving these idiots projects to work on shows how much they care about their customers.

I find it some sort of combination of sad and funny that Strauss Zelnick made these comments about Cyberpunk back in February.

537336_FB_IMG_16370231571052.jpg

Maybe get your own house in order first?

I honestly thought with the announcement of so many B/C titles that this was a return to the B/C program not an end to it... either way this is all good to me.

I would have bought the XSX if it was real BC, like 100% of all games. There were some old ones I never played like BLACK, The Riddick series, Jet Set Radio, Panzer Dragoon, DOA Beach Volleyball, of course. But it was a small selection of games, and not even the best ones.

I would have bought the XSX if it was real BC, like 100% of all games. There were some old ones I never played like BLACK, The Riddick series, Jet Set Radio, Panzer Dragoon, DOA Beach Volleyball, of course. But it was a small selection of games, and not even the best ones.
BLACK and Panzer Dragoon are both backward compatible. BLACK is on Game Pass with EA Play right now.

https://www.xbox.com/en-us/games/store/black/btcs0lp052hl
https://www.xbox.com/en-us/games/store/panzer-dragoon-orta/c3lnp2q4422j

I see. I guess they must have added them after launch, cause I recall they weren't there when I was considering buying an Xbox.

I see. I guess they must have added them after launch, cause I recall they weren't there when I was considering buying an Xbox.
BLACK was one of the original 10 games that launched with original Xbox compatibility back in 2017. Panzer Dragoon was added less than half a year later.

I know you love your emulators but not 100% of games work with them, so the best way to play 100% of them without issue IS with the original hardware... For now. So, until emulators work 100% of the time, original hardware is the way to go.
Depends on the console you're emulating. Most Nintendo consoles are nearly perfect if not better through emulators but Xbox and Xbox 360 is not. Though I would argue that anything on the Xbox platform is either already on PC or some other console or the game isn't worth making an emulator for the Xbox. Though it is improving lately.

Depends on the console you're emulating. Most Nintendo consoles are nearly perfect if not better through emulators but Xbox and Xbox 360 is not. Though I would argue that anything on the Xbox platform is either already on PC or some other console or the game isn't worth making an emulator for the Xbox. Though it is improving lately.

Mech Assault and it’s sequel are the two big ones I really want to see on an emulator, especially one with the ability to make the games look better. Neither game is playable on anything except the original Xbox.

This IS a thread specific to Xbox, not Nintendo. So, even you admit Xbox emulators aren't up to par with the original hardware, and, there are a lot of exclusives not available on other consoles or pc.

Here is a list of both exclusives and not that can't be played: https://www.trueachievements.com/not-backwards-compatible/games

And a "hard to find rare top 10 list" of exclusives I found after a quick search:
https://gamerant.com/rare-xbox-games-not-backwards-compatible/

Mech Assault and Mech Assault 2 are also on my list of "these would be worth playing again"...stomping those little soldiers....<wipes tear from eye>....

Mech Assault and it’s sequel are the two big ones I really want to see on an emulator, especially one with the ability to make the games look better. Neither game is playable on anything except the original Xbox.
It's getting there.

And a "hard to find rare top 10 list" of exclusives I found after a quick search:
https://gamerant.com/rare-xbox-games-not-backwards-compatible/
Most of those games I've never heard of. Just because someone made a list of 10 best exclusives for Xbox doesn't mean those games are worth playing. Maybe Jet Set Radio Future since it's a sequel. I personally would like to play Conker Live & Reloaded since the graphics difference from the Nintendo 64 is huge, though a lot of it was censored compared to the original.

Back