Microsoft in Talks to Buy Shoutcast and Winamp from AOL?

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
From the ‘things that won’t just go away quietly’ file, Winamp and Shoutcast are still kicking and screaming with the possible purchase of the services by Microsoft from AOL.

From what we understand, the deal is not yet finalized, with AOL and Microsoft still working out the price. It could also be very wishful thinking from those intent on trying to save both services.

shoutcast was and still is pretty awesome. I use it all the time. I hope MS does something good with it.

11 companies in the last 2 years alone. Microsoft's List of mergers is getting bigger and bigger. Here's to buying the entire world one company at a time. :D

If i recall correctly, Milkdrop, the kickass winamp visualization, was created by a guy that developed the kinect's skeletal motion tracking software.

Why Winamp? Why just buy Fraunhofer-Gesellshaft and be done with it? Windows Media Player is fine, and I'm sure they'll save money not licensing MP3 by owning it outright.

Why Winamp? Why just buy Fraunhofer-Gesellshaft and be done with it? Windows Media Player is fine, and I'm sure they'll save money not licensing MP3 by owning it outright.

I think they want the userbase / name recognition of Winamp / Shoutcast, not the IP code behind it. Microsoft is really trying to catch up to Google in acquisitions of popular products for the userbase.

I support anything that keeps winamp going. Only player I have found that doesn't shit itself when i load up my 20+gig music directory.

foobar does just fine with over 400gb, so thats not a problem. however, if m$ get a hold of winamp im done with it for sure.

let's see what MS can do with it, quite frankly I've stopped using winamp some years back, shoutcast is something I would like to see MS use

WINAMP Metro Suck: Tiles Edition powered by Bing Live Cloud RT

Thats what they'll do.

12GB download
Will randomly wipe your playlists, because who cares?!
And no Milkdrop, because fuck you give us money!

Must just be for the name as they are doing just fine in media players

I support anything that keeps winamp going. Only player I have found that doesn't shit itself when i load up my 20+gig music directory.

You haven't looked very hard for a player than have you? I had over 70GB and Zune worked just fine. I don't recall Windows Media Player having an issue with that either.

I use winamp that has shoutcast in it app on my phone at work and love it. Hope MS gets ahold of it. Better than dumping it like aol is. Love MS except its dam live shit.

I think they want the userbase / name recognition of Winamp / Shoutcast, not the IP code behind it. Microsoft is really trying to catch up to Google in acquisitions of popular products for the userbase.

+1 this is what i am thinking they want, some hardcore user base and if they dont go screwing around with it, they can keep it as well... i always use winamp, even for my ipod....

...... if m$ get a hold of winamp im done with it for sure.

You're not wrong! If MS get their hands on WinAMP... get ready for a shit load of ads.... less functionality.. wrapped in a painfully ridiculous User Interface with all the logical options removed!

v5.66 is the version to have. I don't need MS's stamp on it!

You're not wrong! If MS get their hands on WinAMP... get ready for a shit load of ads.... less functionality.. wrapped in a painfully ridiculous User Interface with all the logical options removed!

v5.66 is the version to have. I don't need MS's stamp on it!

I think you are confusing Microsoft with Google and who knows who else there.

I don't think MS will change WinAMp much, if at all. They probably just want the user-base and any patents they hold.

Not sure if this is a good move from MS if they do pick up development of Winamp because I don't really trust MS anymore these days, but we will see though I won't be surprised if they manage to mess things up more since they are good at doing it these days.

The sheer ms butthurt in this thread is hilarious.

Why?
If you have been paying attention this year, Microsoft has done just about everything for people to NOT trust them. Not the other way around. Everything here is certainly justified.

I think you are confusing Microsoft with Google and who knows who else there.

OK So has your head been in the sand? Obviously you've never heard of the applications called Skype or MSN Messenger (aka Windows Live Messenger). Formerly quite decent applications... slowly stabbed to death over time (or once bought, suffocated). And these are just what i can think of off the top of my head. I know there are more but i just CBF pointing out obvious stuff to ignorant people that just accept this ever growing downward trend in usability.

The patents are starting to expire. Pretty much all will be gone by 2017, and Technicolor handles the licensing of mp3, not Fraunhofer.

Back