Microsoft Improves the Xbox One's Graphics Powers

HardOCP News

[H] News
This kinda makes you wonder what else will be changed before launch.

The clockspeed on the processor has been ramped up from 800MHz to 853MHz, which is a nice little bump. The early analysis of the theoretical maxes of both systems already had the Xbox One in the same league as the PS4, but Whitten said that as they get out of theoretical territory and start actually using the machines, tweaks are being made to try to get the X1 where they want it.

In other words, they tried running some games on it and they sucked ass compared to even run-of-the-mill computers now, and are desperately overclocking crap since this hardware will have to stave off obsolescense for a decade before it gets updated again.

This is good new people. They have other issues you can shit on MS for but this isn't one of them.

How much increase in performance does a 7% increase in clocks give a AMD 7 series card? what like maybe a frame or 2 better? The other thing is how much hotter does it run given the 7% increase in clocks? Will it hurt the reliability in the long run if MS was engineering the X1 for the TDP of 800mhz? I doubt it but then again its MS and we could very well see RRODs again because of the increase in clocks so close to launch. I really doubt they have time to redo any of the hardware for it. Only time will tell I guess.

In other words, they tried running some games on it and they sucked ass compared to even run-of-the-mill computers now, and are desperately overclocking crap since this hardware will have to stave off obsolescense for a decade before it gets updated again.

Or --- too many people were whining about the specs and this was an easy way to some people happier.

How much increase in performance does a 7% increase in clocks give a AMD 7 series card? what like maybe a frame or 2 better? The other thing is how much hotter does it run given the 7% increase in clocks? Will it hurt the reliability in the long run if MS was engineering the X1 for the TDP of 800mhz? I doubt it but then again its MS and we could very well see RRODs again because of the increase in clocks so close to launch. I really doubt they have time to redo any of the hardware for it. Only time will tell I guess.

You think 7% is going to hurt that much? Do you ever read some of the reviews on the main site? A lot of those cards have a similar overclock. It's not that much in the overall view of things. and the 360 issues was due to a cascade of issues, not just heat like defective heatsinks, improper venting, improper compound application among others.

This kinda makes you wonder what else will be changed before launch.

It also tells you just how poorly the Xbox One is actually doing.

Remember, we got the same song and dance from Microsoft that the Surface devices were selling out like hot-cakes with massive record-breaking figures. Then the last fiscal quarter report hit and reality sunk in. Surface received a near $1 Billion write-off and Microsoft avoided talking about the Xbox One to investors in any kind of capacity. With bare months to go till the Xbox One launch there was no evidence of R&D expenditures in Microsoft's financial report (there was in Sony's); and several known charges such as AMD's payment were conspicuously missing.

The outside shot based on observable evidence is that the gaming community is doing what they should do after Microsoft's E3 Actions. Boycotting Microsoft Products.

Given that most of the gaming press seems to be hellbent on not saying the Boycott word, we'll keep seeing fluff pieces about how Microsoft is sweetening the pot and making the Xbox One a more Attractive Product to Purchase despite the company not actually doing anything to change it's internal information collection policies (using Kinect to gain visual and auditory data through random samplings[i/]; nor the overt attacks on consumers rights (reversal of first sale doctrine; software patent hold-ups; distribution of patents to NPE's for sock-putting attacks)

Anybody who thinks, even for a Moment, that Microsoft is somehow a changed company that is worth spending money on... is deluding themselves. Microsoft can't do anything with the Xbox Platform to justify any gamer, I repeat ANY GAMER, spending their hard earned money on a Microsoft product.

Sounds like the Xbox360 being rushed to get a headstart on the marketshare.
These little last minute improvements, in hopes to match the PS4, can hurt them if the XboxOne starts failing due to overheating.

If they bring back Rock band and new controllers for the Xbone, as well as preserving my library from the xbox 360, I will probably sign up. I am a sheep like that. At least I know it.

As far as the PS4, I don't know. I probably will. I have always loved the playstation titles. But to be honest last generation was 360 than PS3. This one will probably be PS4 then Xbone.

Unfortunately, console specs have historically never mattered. Sega Genesis was more powerful then the Super Nintendo, but the SNES sold more machines and games. Nintendo 64 was more powerful then Playstation 1, but the PS1 dwarfed it in sales. Playstation 2 was extremely weak agains the Xbox 1 and GameCube, but neither could pull 1/10th the sales of the PS2 combined. Even this generation the Wii outsold the 360 and PS3.

Games games and games are what make consoles great. The reason any console is successful is the library of games and quality. While the Wii outsold the 360 and PS3, the console hasn't seen a quality game in years. It used to outsell both machines combined. Same reason why the Wii U is doing terribly, cause no games.

Unfortunately, console specs have historically never mattered. Sega Genesis was more powerful then the Super Nintendo, but the SNES sold more machines and games. Nintendo 64 was more powerful then Playstation 1, but the PS1 dwarfed it in sales. Playstation 2 was extremely weak agains the Xbox 1 and GameCube, but neither could pull 1/10th the sales of the PS2 combined. Even this generation the Wii outsold the 360 and PS3.

Games games and games are what make consoles great. The reason any console is successful is the library of games and quality. While the Wii outsold the 360 and PS3, the console hasn't seen a quality game in years. It used to outsell both machines combined. Same reason why the Wii U is doing terribly, cause no games.
I'm sorry, you're being far too reasonable here. This is your daily two minutes of hate.

So instead of running continuously for 10 years, it will now be rated for 10 years of half hour per day usage blocks.

Gotcha :p

But anyway, I guess it's a good thing but personally, it's not enough to make me forget the garbage they spewed out initially.

Other than games....what else does the PS4 do?

Kind of quiet on that front.

Go back farther, when Mattel and Coleco attempted to bring down the Atari 2600. I had all 3, and while I loved my ColecoVision, there was just something "perfect" about the 2600. Sure the graphics were miserable, and the sound was even worse, but it was fun. Coleco had that "mushroom" controller, and Intellivision had the disc controller, the 2600 had the best console controller ever made. I even used the 2600 controllers on my C64. It was the controllers that made the Wii, not as much the games. It's more than just specs and licenses, both Mattel and Coleco started to make games they had the licenses to for the 2600. At what point are console and game makers just going to give up? They can spend thousands of hours and millions in development to put out a state of the art console and titles to go with it, only to be outsold by the latest release of Fruit Ninja.

Another 'good news' tidbit from the MS PR machine.

Wanna bet either they are risking a reliablity issue or there's a catche like it de-rates back to 800 once it reaches operating temp?

Isint that the point :p

When the games come out, that's when we'll see which is the winner. I think that's what you mean to say, right?

Specs tell you what is possible, but games show you what is being done within the possibility.

When the games come out, that's when we'll see which is the winner. I think that's what you mean to say, right?

Specs tell you what is possible, but games show you what is being done within the possibility.

No I think he meant .."it plays games..that's all that's important!"

My point is that the mass market out there wants more than that.

For me, excluding the specs the Xbox One has more appeal than the PS4. From what I have read it has wider entertainment options.

Hmmm not quite in this day and age. ;)

i beg to differ,the general consensus is that no one actually wants a social media box that can play games but that's what Microsoft wants you to think you actually need it. Even the ps4 has stupid social fetures like the share button. I dont really care to see a million diffrent "lets play" videos or stupid machinima type videos.

No I think he meant .."it plays games..that's all that's important!"

My point is that the mass market out there wants more than that.

For me, excluding the specs the Xbox One has more appeal than the PS4. From what I have read it has wider entertainment options.

What other features do you plan on leveraging?

I would love for both sony to microsoft to drop the camera, drop all the multimedia stuff, and put those costs into making a powerful GAMING console.

i beg to differ,the general consensus is that no one actually wants a social media box that can play games but that's what Microsoft wants you to think you actually need it. Even the ps4 has stupid social fetures like the share button. I dont really care to see a million diffrent "lets play" videos or stupid machinima type videos.

Yes but MS and Sony get the usage stats for the 360 and PS3, if no one was using them for anything other than games then why do they now have all the media features?

Gaming is the thin end of the money wedge in home entertainment. Do you look to the likes of EA to secure a healthy financial future and revenue stream for the next 10 years?

Err nope.

Social media I grant you is a small part but all the other options (sports/movies/TV) are where the big money is. All those juicy monthly subscriptions.

I use my 360 for media more than gaming now. Usage has changed a lot for many of us since 2005.

I would love for both sony to microsoft to drop the camera, drop all the multimedia stuff, and put those costs into making a powerful GAMING console.

But it would only appeal to a much smaller part of the potential world market.

Commercial suicide. Gaming is not where the money is going forward.

Why is everyone agreeing with this? For the first time in recent history, the two biggest power-players share a nigh identical development programming platform. Except that one of the two platforms is clocked faster, has bigger ROPS, more shaders, more available and faster memory.

Developers won't be struggling with porting from one to another, they can just program one to be better than the other and call it a day.

I bet to differ, but the stats would say the general consensus DOES want more social aspects to their gaming systems. That is why Sony has totally revamped their online offerings and now is making it pay to play. Also, the Xbone offers far more in home entertainment with integrating more TV and DVR options with it. That is also what the general public wants. But really, we will let the sales start speaking for themselves when a few years pass.

Producing a game on two platforms that is vastly different between the two would not be a good idea for the developer.

It would just cause untold criticism and internet troll spleen venting that most companies can do without. You want to sell games, as many as you can so producing a good version and a crappy version that no one wants....just isn't clever.

So you play it safe and make them largely equal. No point having thousands of raging 14 year olds baying for your blood, threatening to rape your whole family. Not worth the bother.

Yes but MS and Sony get the usage stats for the 360 and PS3, if no one was using them for anything other than games then why do they now have all the media features?

Gaming is the thin end of the money wedge in home entertainment. Do you look to the likes of EA to secure a healthy financial future and revenue stream for the next 10 years?

Err nope.

Social media I grant you is a small part but all the other options (sports/movies/TV) are where the big money is. All those juicy monthly subscriptions.

I use my 360 for media more than gaming now. Usage has changed a lot for many of us since 2005.
You can build a media PC that can do more than the XboxOne will ever hope to for 1/2 the price. No dealing with XboxLive subscriptions or paywalls to get Netflix. Granted I understand that most consumers don't want to deal with that, but I also don't think most consumers are ready to drop $500 on an home entertainment device. I know tons of people who have game consoles but not too many people who have real nice home theaters, even the box set ones that are <$1k. I can see the PS4 at $399 being a much more attractive item.

Other than games....what else does the PS4 do?

Kind of quiet on that front.

I am assuming it does at least what the PS3 does, which was the best media center ive ever used. Bet netflix player, best blu-ray player. I think the Xbox has a really tough battle if they want "media center" crown.

I just switched from netflix to AT&T Uverse service and cant stand watching shows via DVR. Fast forwarding through commericals is so 2005... I find myself just watching On demand content or a blu-ray movie.

I'd wager that if the 360 was more powerful than your PC, you'd be gaming on it a lot more.

The you would lose. I hardly use my gaming PC for anymore. It's used for mainly web stuff now.

The last game I played all the way through was Torchlight on my old work PC.

At 42, gaming isn't quite so important to me now. I prefer to sit and watch a movie with my wife, watch a box set over streaming, go out for a drink or meal, vacations away.

A lot of us older gamers have changing tastes and circumstances. I want a single box under the TV that rules them all. If it lets me play a bit of Toy Soldiers or Defense Grid now and then that's great. My wife never touched the 360 when it was mainly a games console. Now it has all the streaming features she uses it almost as much as me.

MS knows this.

Back