Microsoft Has Added Another Advertisement Inside Of Windows 10

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
For those who are keeping count, Microsoft is back with another system tray ad. This one urges Chrome users to install the “Personal Shopping Assistant” extension, which lets you add product pages and get notified on price changes. Things aren’t looking too bright, though—just hit up the Chrome extension’s review page, which is linked in the article. In other news, Microsoft is laying off 700 employees next week.

Microsoft has started to advertise its Personal Shopping Assistant (PSA) extension for Chrome to Windows 10 users. Users of Microsoft’s latest operating system now receive a small notification above the Chrome icon stating, “Quickly compare prices online. Get Microsoft’s Personal Shopping Assistant for Chrome”. Previously Microsoft mainly focussed on convincing Chrome users to switch to Edge. It appears that this has been unsuccessful and the software giant now hopes to convince Chrome users to at least use an extension developed by Microsoft. Microsoft’s Personal Shopping Assistant is an extension available for Chrome, Edge, Opera and Firefox. The extension is able to organize visited product pages, favorite products, notify users on price changes and compare products across sellers. It’s currently installed by nearly 11,500 users.

I don't get any of this crap. I don't get ads or pop ups from MS. I use Google services a lot but I get no messaging, suggestions or ads from them. Nothing. What on earth are people doing to get this stuff?
I got so many pop ups and crap from google services that I removed them all.

Welcome to the subscription model. I hate it.
I never thought these words would come out of my fingers, "But I am willing to pay a fee to use Windows". In return i would expect security updates that don't bork my system, reset my settings or serve me adds.

Nothing wrong with Windows 7.

Agreed, provided you like the majority of your machine devoted to running the operating system.

We should have stopped at DOS.

I never thought these words would come out of my fingers, "But I am willing to pay a fee to use Windows". In return i would expect security updates that don't bork my system, reset my settings or serve me adds.

I agree completely, Windows 10 is good, but I would far rather pay for the product than BE the product.

I don't get any of this crap. I don't get ads or pop ups from MS. I use Google services a lot but I get no messaging, suggestions or ads from them. Nothing. What on earth are people doing to get this stuff?

I'm with you. I can sit here for hours and not see a single popup from anything. I think I got 2 or 3 Cortona popups when I first installed just letting me know what she/he/it could do for me and none since.

As far as Chrome goes, never had a single popup before. Not sure in what sense people are referring, whether it be popups in the task bar, in the program via pages, I don't know.. but I use Chrome every day and I only have Adblock installed and no issues.

I got fed up with the broken state of Windows Update and Microsoft's shenanigans in general. I switched all of my computers from Windows to Linux Mint back in October and couldn't be happier.

If you've never tried Linux on the desktop or if it's been a while you really should load up Mint or your favorite distro and see how much has improved in the past year or so. I was blown away. All my hardware 'just works,' even Creative sound cards and Marvell/Highpoint RAID controllers (and existing arrays). All my favorite games are Linux native. 1/3 of my Steam library and 1/4 of the store are Linux native. I have more games than I have time to play.

It's a good time for power users to make the switch. You've got a few more years of 7 support and nothing good from Microsoft on the horizon. Just more of this ad-laced phablet crap.

I just want id Software to start releasing Linux clients again. Fuck these Bethesda assholes and their RPG ways. Also Blizzard.

Their games are the only reason my gaming machine is still running Windows.

Can't say I do either and I have 1607 on two computers now.

I'm with you. I can sit here for hours and not see a single popup from anything. I think I got 2 or 3 Cortona popups when I first installed just letting me know what she/he/it could do for me and none since.

As far as Chrome goes, never had a single popup before. Not sure in what sense people are referring, whether it be popups in the task bar, in the program via pages, I don't know.. but I use Chrome every day and I only have Adblock installed and no issues.

I have seen this pop up once or twice but, I essentially ignored it. However, I hardly ever use Chrome personally and was not interested in the shopping plugin. However, others just might be and it is good for others if they are interested.

I got fed up with the broken state of Windows Update and Microsoft's shenanigans in general. I switched all of my computers from Windows to Linux Mint back in October and couldn't be happier.

If you've never tried Linux on the desktop or if it's been a while you really should load up Mint or your favorite distro and see how much has improved in the past year or so. I was blown away. All my hardware 'just works,' even Creative sound cards and Marvell/Highpoint RAID controllers (and existing arrays). All my favorite games are Linux native. 1/3 of my Steam library and 1/4 of the store are Linux native. I have more games than I have time to play.

It's a good time for power users to make the switch. You've got a few more years of 7 support and nothing good from Microsoft on the horizon. Just more of this ad-laced phablet crap.

Damn, do you have this on a script that runs every time a Windows 10 thread shows up? LOL :D It is exactly the same, word for word almost every time. Personally, I think the Mint interface is terrible but that is because you have to hunt things down just to find what you are looking for.

Well, TBH, with Windows 10 being basically free, I don't mind SOME annoyances, but I do have a breaking point.

Apparently Newegg, Amazon, etc didn't get the memo since Home is $99 and Pro $199

The reality is its still a paid retail OS, and slowly trying to creep ads in is scummy no matter how you slice it. If they want to make a true free, ad-sponsored version, fine. But at least leave that bullshit out of Pro.

And now, while uptake of 10 is stalled at 24.5%, and 50% of the market is holding steady with 7 since they see nothing compelling or exciting in 10, now is not the time to introduce more OS level advertising.

Now is not the time for MS to be even more polarizing.

Last edited:
Damn, do you have this on a script that runs every time a Windows 10 thread shows up? LOL :D It is exactly the same, word for word almost every time. Personally, I think the Mint interface is terrible but that is because you have to hunt things down just to find what you are looking for.

You got caught gaslighting in another thread just a few days ago. You and Heatlessun have been trolling/astroturfing the forums for ages and everyone who's been around for a while is sick of it. They show up in every single thread that even mentions Windows and they try to bury critical posts with nonsense. I'd really like to know why this is going on and when its going to stop.

Windows 10 is dead. Windows 7 beat it 2:1 over the holidays. You can't even buy Windows 7 directly any more.

Well, TBH, with Windows 10 being basically free, I don't mind SOME annoyances, but I do have a breaking point.

Nothing wrong with Windows 7.

Windows 10 is not free in any way. They offered an upgrade for free to QUALIFIED LICENSE HOLDERS. It was in no way 'free'. The only 'free' windows 10 i got was the Consumer Preview version that turned into a full license for testing Win 10. That one is the ONLY 'free' version of Win 10. The rest of us paid in some way for Win 10 ,either by surrendering our previous OS license, or buying it outright.

Back when I was running Mint I never had to hunt for anything any more than I had to hunt for anything under Windows, this makes no sense whatsoever.

But, each to their own.

Welcome to the subscription model. I hate it.
Well if they start a subscription model for windows I'll be the first to get back to the torrent model.

I'm still secretly (well it's not a secret now that I tell about it) hoping that windows 10 is just a big experiment to test the waters on how far they can actually go before people say enough is enough.

Windows 10 is not free in any way. They offered an upgrade for free to QUALIFIED LICENSE HOLDERS. It was in no way 'free'. The only 'free' windows 10 i got was the Consumer Preview version that turned into a full license for testing Win 10. That one is the ONLY 'free' version of Win 10. The rest of us paid in some way for Win 10 ,either by surrendering our previous OS license, or buying it outright.

Has Microsoft every allowed you to upgrade your operating system to the newest one without paying? No? Of course not.

This effectively makes the upgrade free and therefore Windows 10, for a while, was free so you saved an entire windows purchase.

You guys can't be this thick... lol

Has Microsoft every allowed you to upgrade your operating system to the newest one without paying? No? Of course not.

This effectively makes the upgrade free and therefore Windows 10, for a while, was free so you saved an entire windows purchase.

You guys can't be this thick... lol

Well, technically you no longer own a Windows 7 license, and you paid for Windows 7 irregardless of whether you bought and installed the software yourself or had it bundled with a new boxed PC. So you swapped your Windows 7 license for Windows 10 and you paid for the Windows 7 license - So technically speaking Windows 10 wasn't really free? If you got to keep the Windows 7 license as well as a Windows 10 license to install on another machine than yes, I could see how Windows 10 could be classed as free.

Well, technically you no longer own a Windows 7 license, and you paid for Windows 7 irregardless of whether you bought and installed the software yourself or had it bundled with a new boxed PC. So you swapped your Windows 7 license for Windows 10 and you paid for the Windows 7 license - So technically speaking Windows 10 wasn't really free? If you got to keep the Windows 7 license as well as a Windows 10 license to install on another machine than yes, I could see how Windows 10 could be classed as free.

That is not correct. for example

Windows 95 purchase a license
Windows 95 > 98 you purchased an upgrde license which voided your win 95 license
Windows 98 > ME purchase an upgrade lose win 98 license
Windows ME > XP purchase upgrade lose ME
Windows XP > Vista purchase upgrade lose XP
Windows Vist > Windows 7 purchase upgrade lose Vista
Windows 7 > Windows 8 purchase upgrade lose 7
Windows 8 > Windows 8.1 *basically a service pack)
Windows 7&8 > windows 10 no purchase required lose 7 or 8

Upgrading from one release to the next the license was transferred to the new release, thus voiding the previous. The only way this was not the case is if you bought a FULL release license not an upgrade license. The people that took the free win 10 upgrade recieved a free upgrade license.

That is not correct. for example

Windows 95 purchase a license
Windows 95 > 98 you purchased an upgrde license which voided your win 95 license
Windows 98 > ME purchase an upgrade lose win 98 license
Windows ME > XP purchase upgrade lose ME
Windows XP > Vista purchase upgrade lose XP
Windows Vist > Windows 7 purchase upgrade lose Vista
Windows 7 > Windows 8 purchase upgrade lose 7
Windows 8 > Windows 8.1 *basically a service pack)
Windows 7&8 > windows 10 no purchase required lose 7 or 8

Upgrading from one release to the next the license was transferred to the new release, thus voiding the previous. The only way this was not the case is if you bought a FULL release license not an upgrade license. The people that took the free win 10 upgrade recieved a free upgrade license.

You do have a point. Personally I never paid for Windows 95, 98, Me, XP or Vista - I admit I used pirated copies as the cost of the OS back then was ludicrous.

[Edit] I did pay for Vista, what an investment that was.

Last edited:
You do have a point. Personally I never paid for Windows 95, 98, Me, XP or Vista - I admit I used pirated copies as the cost of the OS back then was ludicrous.

I paid for 95...sooooooo many floppy disks!
I worked for MS when 98 came out got it for free
Skipped ME and went to Windows 2000 which was not a legit copy, same with XP
Starting with Vista I got free copies through various offerings from MS

Back when 95 came out I was using an Amiga 4000, 95 was the antichrist so I refused to pay for it!

Reactions: Meeho
like this
I never had any problems using Classic shell and some combination of O&O shutup10 or Spybot Antibeacon.

Back when 95 came out I was using an Amiga 4000, 95 was the antichrist so I refused to pay for it!
i remember asking my IT guy to get me a copy of WIN 95A .. he told me why? OS 2 warp will be the future ...he ended up stealing my WIN 95 cd to use for customer installs

he never did pay me back for that WIn 95 CD cost .. but he did give me a disk for win 98 SE a few yrs later ..when i needed one , to get the updated version of Direct X for the games i wanted to buy

and yes i see many of my customers wanna stick with XP and wonder why they run so slow ? ..and many that have Win 7 have upgrade issues ..they should have went to 10 ..upgraded their os .. as the software vendors they use .. already have

also why is this a surprise ? when you install any MS operating system ..it comes with crap you need to either configure or SHUT off ..or choose to just uninstall ..or never install or configure
BTW yes ya can still shut off driver updates with Win 10 home , as well as pick and use other software for AV or firewall ..as long as the vendor supports the OS

The rest of us paid in some way for Win 10 ,either by surrendering our previous OS license, or buying it outright.

No need to surrender you previous OS license.
I made an image of my drive "C" and did the free upgrade on the backup image.
I then connected the original drive and continued to use Windows 7. Any time I want to switch to Windows 10 I can, since I have both licenses for my hardware.
(Did the same for every computer I had at home, except for my HTPC since that will have to stay at Windows 7 until we no longer use Media center and the cable card)

Back