Microsoft Guy: Mozilla Should Give Up on Firefox and Go with Chromium Too

Yes but even if Firefox went with the Chromium engine the engine itself (Chromium) is open source, you can do whatever you want with it. Case in point, Vivaldi; it's basically Google Chrome without the Google in it.

Yes but even if Firefox went with the Chromium engine the engine itself (Chromium) is open source, you can do whatever you want with it. Case in point, Vivaldi; it's basically Google Chrome without the Google in it.

That's ok, the libraries and everything else enable the google hooks again as well as the limitations on how it must interface and as servers that then find a chrome based guest execute google scripts mean little in the big picture on the engine being open source. Hell even just those unblockable ad tracker cookies that just keep yelling "HEY YOU GUYS! I'M OVER HERE!" across the whole internet attract the active ad trackers right to you. But that last one can be a non issue if you're then running windows 10 as you're already fully linked to google anyway.

Conflicted.

It’s not really that hard to maintain compatibility, you’d just have tidier code because google support JS updates faster and you could rely on modern ways to do stuff.

CSS at this point is fucked, they should just declare css4 and the major vendors should agree on what is in it so it removes the need for prefixes and transpiling. Just draw a line under it and wait for churn. I cannot overstate how much I hate css.

Anyway, even if we accept the premise, Safari / WebKit is way more of a problem than Firefox

I’m gonna go and have day dreams about single target mobile web rendering now.

Google needs to be broken up. What we are creating in them will do nothing but cause misery for mankind.

The browser... NEEDS to be generic.

Google is about to hold, for most people, every point of connection and contact to the internet and most of their data and communication. End-to-end everything about them and everything they do or say or use. The internet was never meant to be such a thing.

I dunno about 5%
I know I install it onto everything in work and when I repair machines outside of work I also get people using it that way as well
FF FTW
Fucking hate Chrome

Got sick of ad persecution by google, so I did some desinfecting of my usage patterns, and increased FF usage. Google just goes overboard.

Back