Microsoft forces web/shopping results for local file search in SCU (1803)

odditory

Supreme [H]ardness
In 1709 and earlier, you could set a group policy to disable Cortana and eliminate Bing search results and suggestions when using local file search (Windows Search).
In 1803 Pro, Microsoft ignores this GPO. Everything you search for locally (File Explorer, search bar) is sent to Microsoft and registers a hit on Bing.

There is now no official way to opt out of local searches being sent to Microsoft in Windows 10 Pro. This has been the case in Home for a few releases already. Education and Enterprise seem unaffected for the moment.

This is annoying since web search uses more resources, and clutters the window with web/shopping results when you're just trying to find a local file. Brick by brick the erosion of user control and choice continues.

Before:

2HhhtwM.png

After:

zS2Pqlx.png

Last edited:
someone somewhere will find a fix as always...hopefully lol

I'd believe it with Pro. Microsoft has been slowly stripping Pro down regarding things you cannot change/turn off. Glad I have access to Education version for home and Enterprise at work.

BTW, if you disable Cortana, you don't need to adjust any of the other policies, all that stuff gets turned off. Here are my settings.

GPO-Settings.PNG

*Telemetry is enabled set to 1 to allow using setting deferred feature updates with semi-annual channel.

Last edited:
lol, major footshot. The fallout will be fun to watch.
I love that Windows 7 doesnt get any of this.
When I eventually need Windows 10 for gaming in say 5 years, that is all it will be used for.
I will NEVER use this crap as my main OS.

I don't think there's anything MS could do that's enough to wake up the average consumer. Most people really think there's no alternatives for Windows.

Anyone wanting to gain more control over the ridiculous updater under Windows 10 may want to give this tool a go. I haven't tried it yet, but any feedback would be interesting.

It's a shame you have to resort to hacks like this regarding such an important part of any operating system.

https://www.lifehacker.com.au/2018/04/block-windows-10-updates-and-notifications-with-this-tool/
Seems like it's just turning of the windows update service, which you can do yourself by running services.msc and disabling Windows Update.

Seems like it's just turning of the windows update service, which you can do yourself by running services.msc and disabling Windows Update.

Ah, that's a shame as disabling the updater service doesn't 'stick' anymore, MS have worked a way around it.

You think it's bad on clients? I still can't find a way to disable the "Updates are available" message from popping up when you log into Windows Server 2016/2019. It's really irritating to get that box every time you log in. It's not as easy as just rebooting on a server that must stay up 24/7.

Microsoft even acknowledges there is no way around it other than to keep closing it

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/mu/2016/10/20/windows-update-behavior-on-windows-server-2016/

I know your pain only too well. :(

Ah, that's a shame as disabling the updater service doesn't 'stick' anymore, MS have worked a way around it.

I was just speculating. I haven't installed the software. I'm mostly fine with auto updates (and in the past I could uninstall them by doing a system restore).

It's not that disabling windows update service doesn't stick, its that Microsoft has hardcoded in trojanlike backchannels that bypass settings, GPOs and WU. It ignores the "metered connection" setting as well, so will blow your bandwidth caps without regard - god help you if you're on tethered mobile when MS decides time for you to join unpaid beta-testing club for the next Mega Summer Creativity Update.

The amount of steps and hacks involved to finally blocking Windows 10 CU from continually re-downloading the same 4GB install files for FCU in an endless loop is what finally drove me back to Windows 8.1. I still keep an instance of 10 isolated in a VM like its a deadly bacteria, but MS hasn't given me any reason for it to touch bare metal again or let it near people.

Last edited:
It's not that disabling windows update service doesn't stick, its that Microsoft has hardcoded in trojan like pipelines that bypass your settings, bypass windows update, and allow them to sneak additional shit onto your PC whenever they feel like. It ignores the "metered connection" setting as well, so will blow your bandwidth caps without regard - god help you if you're on a tethered mobile connection when Microsoft decides its been 6 months since the last meaningfull full-reinstall of windows 10 masquerading as a Mega Producers Summer Update and time to re-download the 4GB install image so you can have Candy Crush Saga reinstalled for the umpteenth time.

The amount of steps involved to finally blocking Windows 10 CU from continually re-downloading the same 4GB install files for FCU over and over again is what finally drove me back to Windows 8.1 with all the telemetry updates removed/blocked and ClassicShell installed. I still keep an updated Windows 10 copy around in a VM for the sake of clients but I don't see this product ever getting any better.

Hey it's Microsofts computer. What can you do...

Reactions: naib
like this
It's not that disabling windows update service doesn't stick, its that Microsoft has hardcoded in trojan pipelines that bypass your settings, bypass windows update, and allow them to sneak additional shit onto your PC whenever they feel like. It ignores the "metered connection" setting as well, so will blow your bandwidth caps without regard - god help you if you're on a tethered mobile connection when Microsoft decides its time for you to join unpaid beta-testing club for the next Mega Producers Summertime Update.

The absurd amount of steps and hacks involved to finally blocking Windows 10 CU from continually re-downloading the same 4GB install files for FCU over and over is what finally drove me back to Windows 8.1. I still keep an instance of 10 isolated in a VM like its a deadly bacteria, but MS hasn't given me any reason for 10 to touch bare metal again or let it near people.

You won't get an argument out of me, I'm well aware of the issues surrounding Windows 10. ;)

In 1709 and earlier, you could set a group policy to disable Cortana and eliminate Bing search results and suggestions when using local file search (Windows Search).
In 1803 Pro, Microsoft ignores this GPO. Everything you search for locally (File Explorer, search bar) is sent to Microsoft and registers a hit on Bing.

There is now no official way to opt out of local searches being sent to Microsoft in Windows 10 Pro. This has been the case in Home for a few releases already. Education and Enterprise seem unaffected for the moment.

This is annoying since web search uses more resources, and clutters the window with web/shopping results when you're just trying to find a local file. Brick by brick the erosion of user control and choice continues.

Before:

View attachment 65143

After:

View attachment 65144

This should help. https://fdossena.com/?p=w10debotnet/index_1803.frag

I'm not running 1803 yet, but this person's earlier version guides are a good base for Windows 10 settings re: disabling annoying features, telemetry and privacy settings.

Specifically I'm referring to this section:
DISABLING CORTANA
With the Anniversary Update, Microsoft hid the option to disable Cortana.
Warning: Do not attempt to remove the Cortana package using install_wim_tweak or the PowerShell, as it will break Windows Search and you will have to reinstall Windows!
Open our command prompt again and use this command:

reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Search" /v AllowCortana /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
reg add "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy\FirewallRules" /v "{2765E0F4-2918-4A46-B9C9-43CDD8FCBA2B}" /t REG_SZ /d "BlockCortana|Action=Block|Active=TRUE|Dir=Out|App=C:\windows\systemapps\microsoft.windows.cortana_cw5n1h2txyewy\searchui.exe|Name=Search and Cortana application|AppPkgId=S-1-15-2-1861897761-1695161497-2927542615-642690995-327840285-2659745135-2630312742|" /f

Reboot again and Cortana is gone. The icon is still there, but it will open the regular search instead.

Note: Windows may say that Indexing is not running, but it will start running again after a few minutes.

Earlier Win 10 versions are below too in case anyone wants to look at them:
Windows 10 1703 version: https://fdossena.com/?p=w10debotnet/index_1703.frag
Windows 10 1709 version: https://fdossena.com/?p=w10debotnet/index_1709.frag

>>> If that doesn't work, let me know and I'll install 1803 and see what I can come up with.

Every time there's an update, you have to fight with your Windows installation just for it to behave like it used to.

It is getting OLD. And fast.

And after I realized they took control of the whole UEFI thing just to make an alternative even more of a PITA - and that was before Win 10 - pisses me off even more. And I used to like them, really.

With this being delayed a second time now, I don't see how any non-insiders could in good conscious be downloading and running 1803 at this point. That's why I don't use the non-official links to the "RTM" version.

Well I have to say its also frustrating to be an Apple/linux user. Updates come regularly but I never see my choices reverted, candy crush being installed by force or anything. Stuff just works - why don't I get to do all fun stuff like edit registry, reinstall etc?

At least on iOS side they changed the user interface so I had to change a setting to order the podcasts from new to old. It would have totally sucked if I didn't have to do anything but continue using you know.

Yeah, I feeling pretty confident about installing this update when the time comes...Not really.

I don't use my Windows PC that often anymore so every time I power it up it's well behind in updates. I don't think I'll need popcorn and a beer, I think I'll need a counselor.

Back