Microsoft Flight Beta is out!

Haiku214

[H]ard|Gawd
For those of you guys who have signed up for the beta, it is now ready for download. I feel that the performance is a lot better and smoother than FSX. Enjoy!

Last edited:
I helped my dad build an i5-2400 with a 560ti since he games a little. He just got an assortment of flight sim controller components and I bought him FSX. I'll have to get him setup with Flight.

How do the graphics compare to FSX? We were able to max-out everything in FSX but it still looked kinda ugly although he probably cares more about just flying the thing.

Just played with it a little... Really liking it so far. It's clear that they have made it so anyone, even those with 0 flight sim experience, can enjoy it.

Everything maxed out on a 5870 and its really smooth. No stutter like in FSX. I like the interface...

What i'm hating is...games for windows live, but we all know that is here to stay :(

Is it a sign up and get in immediately kind of thing? I'd hate to give ms all the infos for nothing.

I've played 2 hours on the beta and I'm really liking it so far. The beta comes with nice tutorials and helpful tips to get players started. There are a lot of things that players can do: Missions, Challenges, and more. Even the Free Flight mode has optional "Job Board" missions.

Graphic options are very limited compared to FSX, maybe because it's just a beta? That may explain the very good performance. There are no Traffic, Cloud options, Mesh densities, AA, etc.

I've played 2 hours on the beta and I'm really liking it so far. The beta comes with nice tutorials and helpful tips to get players started. There are a lot of things that players can do: Missions, Challenges, and more. Even the Free Flight mode has optional "Job Board" missions.

Graphic options are very limited compared to FSX, maybe because it's just a beta? That may explain the very good performance. There are no Traffic, Cloud options, Mesh densities, AA, etc.

That is becuase it is beta.

i signed up a long ass time ago too but didn't get anything.. tried signing up again just in case, what a friggin chore, i gave up after the 3rd time it asked me to put all my information in again.

What are the flight mechanics for MS Flight? I've read it is supposed to be more adjustable than previous versions, or are these options not available in beta?

What is the method of delivery? Is it a free account creation, a standalone client download with ingame login or something else?

How does it play without a joystick? Either keyboard, kb/m, or controller?

So go ahead and break the NDA. :rolleyes:

I don't understand your post. Are you ironically saying I should break the NDA, or are you seriously saying I should break the NDA? Are you saying I should be worried about posting a screenshot from a beta game because Microsoft will somehow track me down through the internet and prosecute me for clicking through on a boiler-plate EULA? Do you really think no one will post a screenshot just because some EULA/NDA for some random consumer (as opposed to an actual employee) says not to?

I don't understand your post. Are you ironically saying I should break the NDA, or are you seriously saying I should break the NDA? Are you saying I should be worried about posting a screenshot from a beta game because Microsoft will somehow track me down through the internet and prosecute me for clicking through on a boiler-plate EULA? Do you really think no one will post a screenshot just because some EULA/NDA for some random consumer (as opposed to an actual employee) says not to?

So your logic comes down to these:
"If I don't get caught for it, it doesn't matter"
"If other people have done it, it is okay for me to do it also."
"My word is meaningless, and I'll sign my name to anything one day, and deny it the next. This is especially true if a legal team writes a long document that everyone signs or clicks on."

If schizrade's conscience differs from yours, you don't have to berate him for it. His choices don't have to be dictated by what you would do and vice versa.

Relating more to the thread however, I think it's great that Microsoft still develops flight sims. I can still remember back to the Windows 98/2k days when I had a friend that was super obsessed with Flight and what you could do with it. I couldn't get over the idea/concept of flying across the entire US in a flight Sim in real time. But he knew every manufacturer, every plane. I'm not sure who obsesses over this stuff more. Train Spotters or Airplane guys (not sure what their colloquial name is.)

Good luck to everyone trying to get in on the beta!

So your logic comes down to these:
"If I don't get caught for it, it doesn't matter"
"If other people have done it, it is okay for me to do it also."
"My word is meaningless, and I'll sign my name to anything one day, and deny it the next. This is especially true if a legal team writes a long document that everyone signs or clicks on."

If schizrade's conscience differs from yours, you don't have to berate him for it. His choices don't have to be dictated by what you would do and vice versa.!

I wasn't berating him, I was seriously asking him because I don't understand what the roll eyes smilie meant in his response to my comment that people break NDAs all the time (because they do, whether you or I agree with it or not - and come new hardware release time, people are begging for NDA breakers). Sorry if I offended you with my tongue in cheek response.

Companies release betas (or even programs) with these ridiculous EULAs/requirements and then they expect that the anonymous internet public is going to abide by them? Really, Microsoft expects that I won't play the beta with anyone else in the room? That I won't leave the beta unattended on my own computer in my own house? How much can they demand before people just say "whatever, dude". In short, my logic comes down to companies shouldn't make idiotic demands.

And someone already broke the terms of the NDA:
http://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft-flight-beta-invites-go-out-to-users

But, I really didn't intend to spark some kind of big moral debate about this.

Last edited:
I wasn't berating him, I was seriously asking him because I don't understand what the roll eyes smilie meant in his response to my comment that people break NDAs all the time (because they do, whether you or I agree with it or not - and come new hardware release time, people are begging for NDA breakers). Sorry if I offended you with my tongue in cheek response.

Companies release betas (or even programs) with these ridiculous EULAs/requirements and then they expect that the anonymous internet public is going to abide by them? Really, Microsoft expects that I won't play the beta with anyone else in the room? That I won't leave the beta unattended on my own computer in my own house? How much can they demand before people just say "whatever, dude". In short, my logic comes down to companies shouldn't make idiotic demands.

Bad news, someone already broke the terms of the NDA:
http://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft-flight-beta-invites-go-out-to-users

A very level headed responses. I commend you for that. I feel we have to abide as best we can. Those that get the beta have agreed. If you don't want to obey the rules of the beta, it's obviously not necessary that you sign up.

Anyway, I don't want to derail the thread further, as I'm liable to go on some silly political diatribe. And that honestly benefits no one. Talk about Flight Sims, a much more interesting topic!

This thread went down hill fast. lol

I signed up about a month ago and hope that I get an email soon.

It would be nice to hear some feedback from people in the beta though. I'd really like to want this, but the whole freemium angle kind of puts me off. Be nice to know if it is full-featured (obviously the beta won't be) and how the physics hold up. I'd like a new-generation replacement for FSX, not so much a civilian version of Lock-On or something.

I too am a bit skeptical about the free to play strategy that Microsoft is planning. I would gladly pay the full price like FSX. So far the beta is very similar to FSX in terms of everything. The only difference is that the tutorials are better and that there are multiple game modes. It is kinda like TDU2. You can even walk on the ground.

I'm loving the beta so far!

I too am a bit skeptical about the free to play strategy that Microsoft is planning. I would gladly pay the full price like FSX. So far the beta is very similar to FSX in terms of everything. The only difference is that the tutorials are better and that there are multiple game modes. It is kinda like TDU2. You can even walk on the ground.

I'm loving the beta so far!

Good detail on the cockpits? Flight physics are good?

X-plane is like Linux. Everybody supposedly loves it but still uses Windows ;)

Wish I would checked about the developement of this more. I am a bit sceptical to all this mmo. Free to play strategy make me happy though. I don´t like the idea to paying for the same game over and over with hefty monthly fees. But then I suppose if I want the same amount of content as in FSX I will end up paying way more? I suppose the pricing and all isn´t set yet but I suspect it will be the regular pay more for less approach?

I just hope that Flight will support all my FSX addons. I don't want to give up any of those.

Back