Microsoft Finally Confirms Game Stuttering Problems in Windows 10 Creators Update

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
A fix is coming for gamers experiencing framerate stuttering and slow system performance after installing the Windows 10 Creators Update on their gaming PCs: Microsoft Engineer Paul Aaron has acknowledged the issue and revealed that a fix has been deployed to a Fast Ring build. The problems reportedly persist even after reinstalling drivers and disabling Xbox Game DVR.

Thanks to all of you who provided feedback and submitted traces via the Feedback app. We’ve been reviewing the traces and have identified an issue that we believe is the cause of stuttering in some of the cases that you’ve reported. We have a fix in the Windows Insider build that flighted to the “Fast” ring this week (build 16273 and above). If you are already an Insider please test it with any app or game you’re having this problem with and let us know how it goes.

This is my nightmare scenario. Making gaming worse in a subtle way so that I think I'm crazy because no one else sees the problem, but it's difficult to quantify. This is the tech equivalent of gaslighting, where I'm questioning my own memory. At least they're fixing it, but this is a perfect example of why I wish we had manual updating as an option.

w10-fail.png

After the issues I experienced with updating to 1703 at release, I reverted back to 1607 and have set my system to not update until 6 months after the release hits business ready. This gives almost about 10 month buffer to install feature updates after they are released to prevent myself from having to deal with these kind of issues.

I haven't had this particular issue after disabling the "Game Mode" stuff, but the way MS butchered HDR functionality took months to finally fix...and it apparently took some hacks from Nvidia to do that.

Grabbing personal/usage data as you game has consequences, whodathunkit.
Good job there arent any more updates for Windows 7, its a safe haven :p

This is my nightmare scenario. Making gaming worse in a subtle way so that I think I'm crazy because no one else sees the problem, but it's difficult to quantify. This is the tech equivalent of gaslighting, where I'm questioning my own memory. At least they're fixing it, but this is a perfect example of why I wish we had manual updating as an option.
Or no spying.

Now if only they would fix their other issues with hardware communication as well. Installed a "windows certified" LAN driver and it caused AUDIO stuttering. WTF? Serious cluster in this iteration. Sadly, my work is deploying W10 fairly soon and I just hope those IT guys are ready.

Number of people affected by this issue in this thread so far: 0

I have Windows 10 and it is completely up to date. No issues to speak of from my end.

Let's not sit comfortably in our PC chairs and pretend that Microsoft does this on purpose or that it is easy peasy to code an operating system.

Good job there arent any more updates for Windows 7, its a safe haven :p.
Not really, it just remains a platform that currently has less problems than its successor. It's no more a safe haven than XP or Vista is for gamers now. At some point it's going to get going passed by as the marketshare shifts to the point where it's not longer worth it for developers to support 7. I'm hoping eventually Windows 10 gets hacked to hell with a "no bullshit" modified ISO available as a torrent. I don't see a lot of other options if you're a gamer AND don't want MS breaking what already works ad infinitum.

I have Windows 10 and it is completely up to date. No issues to speak of from my end.

Let's not sit comfortably in our PC chairs and pretend that Microsoft does this on purpose or that it is easy peasy to code an operating system.

Conspiracy theories are much more fun than boring IT facts unfortunately. I haven't experienced any stuttering except in one game, BF1, don't know if it's related I kinda doubt it, because the battlefront 2 alpha was flawless in this regard, I just think DICE don't give a damn about the game's problems at this point.

I'm having a bunch of "fun" issues with my XPS15 witch does include weird random heavy stutter in some games (but with regular framrates), but my favorite si far is that my Samsung 950Pro sometimes goes to 100% usage during web browsing making the system unusable and a powerbutton off is the only solution

"This issue" is one of many, from broken webcams, to removal of group policies, to any number of misc. issues that affect a cycling minority of people as they perpetually work bugs out. I say perpetually because you'll never run out of bugs to fix if you're always introducing new ones, like this. It's already affecting me in that it's keeping me OFF Windows 10. Otherwise, I would have switched by now.

And who's saying they're doing this on purpose? This a byproduct of other things they are doing on purpose. Here:

Things Microsoft is doing on purpose:
-Mandatory automatic updating
-Removing features as it sees fit
-Telemetry and / or spyware with no option to opt out.
-Laying of thousands of quality assurance testers and replacing them with AI routines + end-users acting as beta testers instead

Things Microsoft is NOT doing on purpose:
-Intentionally making the OS run worse.

Microsoft isn't sabotaging their own OS (aside from maybe the group policies thing), more they've changed their development process so that continual NEW problems are going to remain without a recourse for the user in the event they make a mistake.

After the issues I experienced with updating to 1703 at release, I reverted back to 1607 and have set my system to not update until 6 months after the release hits business ready. This gives almost about 10 month buffer to install feature updates after they are released to prevent myself from having to deal with these kind of issues.

I'm having a bunch of "fun" issues with my XPS15 witch does include weird random heavy stutter in some games (but with regular framrates), but my favorite si far is that my Samsung 950Pro sometimes goes to 100% usage during web browsing making the system unusable and a powerbutton off is the only solution

I'm a dual OS user.
Creators update have officially made some native Windows games run worse on Windows than Wine with Gallium Nine emulation.
yay!

Not really, it just remains a platform that currently has less problems than its successor. It's no more a safe haven than XP or Vista is for gamers now. At some point it's going to get going passed by as the marketshare shifts to the point where it's not longer worth it for developers to support 7. I'm hoping eventually Windows 10 gets hacked to hell with a "no bullshit" modified ISO available as a torrent. I don't see a lot of other options if you're a gamer AND don't want MS breaking what already works ad infinitum.
I mean a safe haven from Microsoft, the OS destroyer.

Conspiracy theories are much more fun than boring IT facts unfortunately. I haven't experienced any stuttering except in one game, BF1, don't know if it's related I kinda doubt it, because the battlefront 2 alpha was flawless in this regard, I just think DICE don't give a damn about the game's problems at this point.

I can confirm on the BF1 stuttering, I have been experiencing it as well. DICE can confirm the latter, although it's fair for players of the game like you and I to speculate that we probably know the answer to that. It's reminiscent of the first few months of BF4 to be honest.

Guess they are gonna have to release a "Game Mode" for Game Mode.
Glad to see Microsoft is puting pc gaming first.;)

Wow, have not seen someone lately getting cheeky with the $ lameness. Guess it was bound to show back up. :meh:
I think you lose your room to criticize that in particular when you have zero's for o's in your name.

I had a huge stuttering problem with Windows 10 for a while. Caused by a shit i5 CPU and a horrible 7770 GPU. Upgraded and now I'm stutter free!

Never had a problem due to the OS, though. :)

giphy.gif

oh wait, they said they fixed it in insider build 16273 and thats definitely a fucking lie, im on 16353 and the problem came back when i went from this build to the next.

In fact i now get stuttering opening tabs in chrome.

I haven't had this particular issue after disabling the "Game Mode" stuff, but the way MS butchered HDR functionality took months to finally fix...and it apparently took some hacks from Nvidia to do that.

HDR is still not working for me. First it worked at 1080p but only in 4:2:2 so it looked washed out and 4K was a purple/white mess. After updates and the lastest Nv drivers its the opposite. I ended up going way back in drivers before HDR support was added and just don't use it.

HDR is still not working for me. First it worked at 1080p but only in 4:2:2 so it looked washed out and 4K was a purple/white mess. After updates and the lastest Nv drivers its the opposite. I ended up going way back in drivers before HDR support was added and just don't use it.

Is that for games or full-time use? Enabling it via the desktop still doesn't work right, but games like RE7 + Destiny and HDR movies now work even with it disabled via the desktop.
Mass Effect is still broken for non-Dolby sets, but supposedly that's the game' issue and is unrelated.

Pre 2015 Microsoft sure seemed to find it easier than 2015-onwards Microsoft. Would likely have something to do with Nadella firing thousands of Microsoft's test engineers.

Not really, it just remains a platform that currently has less problems than its successor. It's no more a safe haven than XP or Vista is for gamers now. At some point it's going to get going passed by as the marketshare shifts to the point where it's not longer worth it for developers to support 7.

Can't run modern games, software, or much hardware with Windows XP or Vista. You can run modern games, software, and most-all hardware with Windows 7. For the most part, unless you want to use the Windows Store (I don't which is why I removed it in Windows 10), Windows 7 is as good for gamers as Windows 10. It is even better for gamers in some ways, such as by not having background data-theft activity, by not having random updates spoiling gaming, and by not having Gaming Mode, which is there primarily, maybe entirely, to help "trusted" Windows Store UWP games run closer in performance to non-UWP Win 32 games, which naturally run more efficiently than UWP games. I think that the better solution is to just not run UWP games in the first place.

Buy a game from Windows Store, get worse performance as a bonus! No thanks.

Also, Windows 7 gained ~2.3% gaming market share on Steam last month.

I'm hoping eventually Windows 10 gets hacked to hell with a "no bullshit" modified ISO available as a torrent. I don't see a lot of other options if you're a gamer AND don't want MS breaking what already works ad infinitum.
Work-arounds are not long-term solutions. If the direction of Microsoft doesn't improve, then work-arounds are going to become more difficult and time-consuming to make and maintain.

Last edited:
Pre 2015 Microsoft sure seemed to find it easier than 2015-onwards Microsoft. Would likely have something to do with Nadella firing thousands of Microsoft's test engineers.

Can't run modern games, software, or much hardware with Windows XP or Vista. You can run modern games, software, and most-all hardware with Windows 7. For the most part, unless you want to use the Windows Store (I don't which is why I removed it in Windows 10), Windows 7 is as good for gamers as Windows 10. It is even better for gamers in some ways, such as by not having background data-theft activity, by not having random updates spoiling gaming, and by not having Gaming Mode, which is there primarily, maybe entirely, to help "trusted" Windows Store UWP games run closer in performance to non-UWP Win 32 games, which naturally run more efficiently than UWP games. I think that the better solution is to just not run UWP games in the first place.

Buy a game from Windows Store, get worse performance as a bonus! No thanks.

Also, Windows 7 gained ~2.3% gaming market share on Steam last month.

Work-arounds are not long-term solutions. If the direction of Microsoft doesn't improve, then work-arounds are going to become more difficult and time-consuming to make and maintain.
Yeah, I mean literally the only thing you're missing out on as a gamer on Windows 7 is DirectX 12, which is maybe a half a dozen games. The point is it's a slowly sinking ship for gamers, not a safe haven. I plan to hold out as long as I can, but if you stayed on XP to avoid troubles with Vista, eventually most people switched over to 7. If 7 had been terrible, then gamers would have had big problems by now. That's how I see staying on Windows 7 now, except I'm not holding my breath for a competent successor to 10. Its entire design is one ever-shifting liability towards having a fully stable system you can depend on.

And for anyone saying "it works fine for me", great, that's TODAY. In 3 years, you can't guarantee how well it's going to perform for you, because they can change anything and you don't have say in the matter, this update being a case in point. In previous OS's, if you maintained it, you could guarantee it would perform as well in the future and only modify it when you needed to.

As for workarounds not being solutions, you're looking at it the wrong way. I sure as hell don't see MS changing its philosophy on 10, so it's more a choice of "workaround" v. "no solution", with "solution" not even being on the radar in the future.

Diablo 3 has been running like crap lately and after lots of digging in the Blizzard forums it appears the new Blizzard app has been "improved" to the point that if you leave it open while you game, it screws up the Blizzard game that's running.

Indeed, there is an option in the preferences to quit the Blizzard app when a game launches - it's a really good idea to check that box. Once I did that, while not perfect, it's a lot better.

I'm not surprised to see the other problems might be from Microsoft's doing and not just Blizzard shooting themselves in the foot. Lovely.

I think you lose your room to criticize that in particular when you have zero's for o's in your name.
Nope, not even close. My nick here is not mocking a company [for lame reasons]. Pretty massive difference. There is no agenda with the 0's in mine.

No DX12 and no Xbox One wireless controller support without windows 10 tho

List of DX12-only titles = a few mediocre store-jailed MS games that nobody bought, and a bunch of cancelled ones. And FWIW, Xbone One Wireless driver works fine on Win 7 and 8.1.

Until Microsoft pulls their heads out of their asses and fixes Windows 10 - like lets users opt out of telemetry, forced updates and gives better control over cortana/edge/store bloatware without having to resort to garage hacks, there are going to be a lot of people sticking to Windows 7 because it "just works" without gotchas and compromises, and there is no must-have feature tempting anyone now that DX12 has proven to be a nonstarter.

For obvious financial reasons, no one other than MS is making DX12-only games. So DX11-anchored development will continue for years to come, with a few trivial DX12 features bolted on as an afterthought for the boxcover. And this will continue as long as Windows 7 remains the most popular Windows in existence, or MS builds a proper successor to 7 that respects users.

DX9/Windows XP = good - developers loved it
DX10/Vista = bad - developers ignored it
DX11/Windows 7 = good - developers loved it
DX12/Windows 10 = bad - developers ignored it

Last edited:
Reactions: jtm55
like this
List of DX12-only titles = three mediocre copy-paste MS games. And Xbone Wireless driver works fine on Win 7 and 8.1.

Until Microsoft pulls their heads out of their asses and fixes Windows 10 - like lets people opt out of the telemetry, forced updates and gives better control over the bloatware like cortana/edge/store without having to resort to garage hacks to get rid of them, there are going to be a lot of people sticking to Windows 7 because it "just works" without gotchas and compromises, and there is no compelling feature tempting them other than the DX12 myth.

For obvious financial reasons, no publishers are making DX12 only games except maybe MS first party studios (Forza?); at best its DX11 focused development with a few DX12 builletpoints bolted on as an afterthought. And they'll continue not to for years as long as Windows 7 remains the most popular Windows in existence.

"But, but in 2020 everyone will have to get off of Windows 7". Uh huh.
No way, Forza Horizon 3 looks cool.

DX9/Windows XP = good - developers loved it
DX10/Vista = bad - developers ignored it
DX11/Windows 7 = good - developers loved it
DX12/Windows 10 = bad - developers ignored it
It's not quite that simple.

DX9 / 98SE + ME + 2K + XP = revolutionary, defined games for a decade
DX10 / Vista = Marketshare on Vista isn't worth it to code it as more than an extra.
DX11 / Vista + 7 = Marketshare on Vista + 7 has finally overshadowed XP to be worth it.
DX12 / Win10 = Marketshare on 10 isn't worth it to code it as more than an extra.

In both of the success cases, they weren't handcuffing it to an OS a lot of the market was hesitant about. If DirectX 12 launched with compatibility for 7 & 8, adoption would have been almost immediate. Instead, they delayed its acceptance for at least 5 years. I don't see any major publishers requiring it until at least 2020.

Aren't both Forza games and Gears of War 4 DX12 and Windows Store exclusives? Those are pretty terrific games that run well.
I dunno if I'd swap OS's for them (if I didn't want to) but they're worthwhile games.

Good job there arent any more updates for Windows 7, its a safe haven :p

Or no spying.

Ya, I can't update since I'm using a Kaby Lake on Win 8.1. Didn't even have to bother doing anything, MS turned if off for me.

Things Microsoft is NOT doing on purpose:
-Intentionally making the OS run worse.

Microsoft isn't sabotaging their own OS

They are certainly doing that with win7 and 8.1. And plenty of people are arguing they are doing the same with Win10 so that they can push their other products down the line.

Back