Microsoft Feels "Really Good" about Its Four Console Launch Exclusives

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
In an interview with VG24/7, corporate vice president of Microsoft’s gaming division Mike Ybarra addresses the complaints levied against the Xbox and its lack of games: he points out that the console actually has four “exclusives” ready, one of which is PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds. Xbox is the only place where console gamers will be able to play it, and Ybarra thinks that’s pretty noteworthy due to the game’s massive popularity. Other exclusives include Forza 7, Cuphead, and Lucky’s Tale, while State of Decay 2 and Crackdown 2 will come in 2018.

…the Xbox One X is a wildly impressive piece of kit – I’m the type of nutter who has a liquid cooled PC and a 1080ti graphics card and even I’m impressed by what Microsoft has managed to squeeze into this surprisingly dinky box. Microsoft’s Gamescom last week was marred by the same thing as much of their recent messaging, however: a serious feeling there’s a lack of games and perhaps even a lack of focus when it comes to software across the Xbox division. It’s a mixed message – an incredibly impressive console with some serious issues when it comes to game-shaped reasons to buy it.

still not going to get one.. not wanting to be stuck paying for this and that...

Ouch. Half of them PC games, then of the 2 that aren't on a system 1 is a small indie 2d side scroller lol. At least they have Forza ready?

How are multi-platform games exclusive?

And I used to like my 360, my Xbone is nothing more than a dust collector.

So, just Forza then. Not exactly a gotta-have-it that's going to convert users from other platforms. Writing a check to keep PUBG off of PS4 for 3-6 months also isn't a slam dunk move; its success on Steam/PC won't necessarily translate to console players the exact same way, or that the hype will last. Same would go for Sony if the roles were reversed.

That they have to qualify feeling "really good" means they don't; otherwise the games would speak for themselves. They're in trouble and they know it.

Last edited:
I'll be holding off on upgrading to the X to see what else they get into the lineup.

My problem (and from the looks of it a lot more people) is that a) they don't have a lot of exclusives which is not that bad in theory, but b) I don't care for most of the exclusives they do have, if they budnle state of decay and/or the updated version of gears of war I might get an xbox one x but I'd love to know about other exclusives further down the line so I can at least look forward to some more games.

Right now, there is not much that's convincing to me to go the microsoft route if not for the 4k possibilities.

Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me. I have "Xbox Day one edition after taste in my mouth still"

Eh. Playerunknown will help buuuuuut yeah. I only got a console to play the fooseball. That's a ps4.

Couldn't get past the manic tom cruzesque corporate speak in the interview.

I will likely purchase one to replace my existing blue ray player (aka Xbox One).

Xbox one a mess, for real? Is this ms slowly pulling out? , ' cause that would be in line with MS.. that being said, they did gave it a real go at it... Lost billions but who is counting.

Back