Microsoft Explains Why Edge Has So Few Extensions

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
There are only 70-odd Edge extensions available, and Microsoft has been moved to explain why: in a blog post, the company almost apologetically explains that it is "building a thoughtfully curated ecosystem," citing concern over quality and a fear of diminishing the user experience. What some might describe as "slow," Microsoft refers to as a "purposefully metered approach" to new extensions.

We want Microsoft Edge to be your favorite browser, with the fundamentals you expect -- speed, power efficiency, reliability, security. Poorly written or even malicious add-ons for browsers remain a potential source of privacy, security, reliability and performance issues, even today. We want users to be confident that they can trust extensions in Microsoft to operate as expected. As such, we continue to evaluate each extension submission to ensure that it will bring value to our users and support our goals for a healthy ecosystem.

So in other words, "Only WE want your information and secrets and want to act maliciously lol."

Does this mean they have denied 1000s of applicant add ons?

Translation: Nobody wants to publish extensions on our shitty browser.

I hate Edge because it's not compatible with a lot of plugins that my online school stuff requires. I also feel like it's being forced down our throats by Microsoft...

So much wrong with Edge it's pointless to even retread. It's another one of those things like winphone or store apps or kinect where MS isn't genuinely trying - isn't hungry and isn't making any real concerted effort to create a compelling offering - and it just makes you wonder what their endgame is in bothering to go through the motions at all.

Edge works just fine. Whenever I'm working on a computer that doesn't have Chrome or FF already installed, Edge has always worked flawlessly as a tool to fix that problem.

At least it's better than 10,000 shit extensions. See: Chrome & Firefox. So much shit, a lot of great stuff, but a lot of just BS extensions.

With Windows Phone, they made it a free for all and it was a ton of shit apps and nothing worthwhile. I think the Edge approach might be a good one.

I haven't had a single issue with Edge in the past couple major releases. It's really matured. I still prefer Chrome, easily. But, nothing wrong with Edge at all.

My work has been migrating to 10 slowly. Fortune 100 company.

The only thing I dislike about Edge, and it might totally be on our IT's end, is that it constantly spams you to re-input your credentials. The other browsers don't do that.

I tried Edge. It's missing so many features that all the other browsers have, it's pretty much useless.

When using Firefox or Chrome, I have the browser cache on a RamDisk. It speeds things up and doesn't clutter up my hard drive or SSD. Spent some time trying to figure out how to do that with Edge and after quite a bit of Googling, the answer appears to be . . . . you can't. How nice.

At least it's better than 10,000 shit extensions. See: Chrome & Firefox. So much shit, a lot of great stuff, but a lot of just BS extensions.

With Windows Phone, they made it a free for all and it was a ton of shit apps and nothing worthwhile. I think the Edge approach might be a good one.

I use less than 10 extensions in FF, and I would use Edge if it supported those or similar ones. It's like the argument they used to make about the Apple store having 10 million apps, so it was better than Android Play which only had 6 million. Yeah, and basically all of those apps are Flappy Bird clones.

Edge doesn't seem feature complete to me. I use it when I don't care about whats being seen. Things like seeing the seeing the page source or looking at the certificate I don't think are there period.

All I ever wanted was a colored Taskbar and borders....Stardocks Windows blinds can't even mask it because the tabs can't be masked over.

I really wanted Edge to be my favorite browser. I tried, but it messed up too many times for me to go back to it.

LOL at EDGE - it is such a mess that it usually loses my open tabs on restart even though it is set to remember last state.

So far there is nothing like Firefox for HEAVY lifting (i.e. 10-15 Windows with 30 tabs each - yes that is my workflow and I have 6K bookmarks). The amazing thing with Firefox is that I have some Windows still going for the last 4 years and no matter what I always find a way to restore them.

Opera is my second favorite and Chrome is last. For work I use Firefox Developer editon because it has the Best Developer tools (for me anyway) by far.

So much wrong with Edge it's pointless to even retread. It's another one of those things like winphone or store apps or kinect where MS isn't genuinely trying - isn't hungry and isn't making any real concerted effort to create a compelling offering - and it just makes you wonder what their endgame is in bothering to go through the motions at all.

Really dude? So where is my Calendar / Schedule app in Android that supports dark themes? I have yet to find one and even then, I will probably need to buy it, which is fine but, I did not have to do that in Windows 10 Mobile, which I just switched back to on my 950. :)

Back