Microsoft Expands VR Ambitions With Google Cardboard Rival

HardOCP News

[H] News
It looks as though Microsoft is developing a Google Cardboard knock-off for the six people that actually own a Windows Phone. :D

The premise for Microsoft Cardboard seems similar, but instead of Android, it has been designed for devices running Microsoft's Windows Phone software. It's not yet clear what product plans if any the company has for its own cardboard kit, though. Microsoft didn't immediately respond to a request for comment.

Hey now, I had a Windows phone for a while, until the plug broke. I liked it a lot more than Android. I just couldn't get a decent one when my last one broke. It's a lot more refined and has a much more logical setup to me. It just seriously lacks apps. That part does suck.

Steve, You're wrong about the 6 people that still own a Windows Phone. I dropped mine in a puddle last week; it's down to 5 now...

I always find this subject interesting. At around 2.3% or so world wide market share in the much bigger handset market compared to the desktop market, Widows phones are used by considerably more people than desktop Linux. Of course the low market share of each pretty much kills developer interest.

Haha. Truth be told, my next phone is probably going to be a Windows phone after using Android for years.

Strangely enough, I find that I don't give a shit if others like it. :D

Haha. Truth be told, my next phone is probably going to be a Windows phone after using Android for years.

Strangely enough, I find that I don't give a shit if others like it. :D

They are moving to more of an ecosystem like the Apple model? Like your phone and desktop and xbox can all interact to some extent? To me that's the kind of stuff that I like about Apple so much. So I think it's a good thing if Microsoft is moving in that direction. Because the OS and consoles are very capable. Google is trying similar stuff, but unfortunately Android is the only capable platform they have so far.

The App store, from what I have seen on regular Windows and Windows RT are a complete joke though. Riddled with scam applications. I hope the phone store is not like that.

Your figure of 6 users on WindowsPhone OS is flat out WRONG. I switched to a Note5 last month and so the number is now 5.

I still have my 1520.

Very nice hardware. I think that's one issue that's plagued Windows phones and set them back some in the last year or two, lack of hero devices. The new Lumias look to finally address that problem after so long. But the big problem without question has been apps. Windows 10 does try to go a long way to address that problem, how successful those attempts are will make or break any remaining hope of Microsoft being a serious mobile client provider, even if they are going to be niche.

I agree - the apps are either going to make or break MS as a serious phone contender.

I agree - the apps are either going to make or break MS as a serious phone contender.

Hopefully this is where the Windows 10 bubble comes to help. apps supporting windows phone 10 and windows desktop 10.

Hello 4 other Windows Phone users! I've got a 2 year old Windows Phone and am pretty happy with it. I can't wait for the single half-finished app that uses this VR technology! (I'm pretty happy with it, but I'm not going to pretend that we get all of the good apps, and "updates" to known apps are a little rare, too.)

And can I get a custom version that says "I'm distracted, steal my stuff" on the front?

Neat though, and yes, I'm planning on getting a Windows Phone as the replacement for my current phone.

Rockin a 920 here. Will not buy another windows phone until they take off the search (bing) button and or offer the capability to turn that button off or change its function.

Back